Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

RichA

Visit site
I completely understand. I'm viewing it from the other side though. The numbers affected by each person who declines the vaccine then gets Covid and either dies or passes it on to others who die or pass it on... repeat.
I'm not suggesting for one second that it isn't an extraordinarily difficult calculation - just that classical medical ethics aren't the only factor I'm considering.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they suddenly suspended it what would that mean for second doses?
This is what we're now wondering. Daughter in law is 21 and clinically vulnerable so has already had it. She ended up being rushed back in hospital a few days later with a allergic like reaction, they couldnt pin it on anything but seems a bit odd that she had it a few days after being jabbed. My guess is if you've had the first dose then the second one isn't going to give you any problems hopefully

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad it is Van-Tam answering the questions. Not sure how he his viewed in the medical world but he has come across to me as someone who is firm, up front, honest and does not suffer fools. Think this situation needed his forthright voice on this and I for one generally trust the messages that he puts across.

RichA

Visit site
Glad it is Van-Tam answering the questions. Not sure how he his viewed in the medical world but he has come across to me as someone who is firm, up front, honest and does not suffer fools. Think this situation needed his forthright voice on this and I for one generally trust the messages that he puts across.
Agree. Whenever he's been on in the last year I've found myself wishing he was the one in charge.
I suspect some of the more haughty members of his profession think he's a bit too normal. Perhaps worry he might reveal what's going on "behind the curtain."

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I completely understand. I'm viewing it from the other side though. The numbers affected by each person who declines the vaccine then gets Covid and either dies or passes it on to others who die or pass it on... repeat.
I'm not suggesting for one second that it isn't an extraordinarily difficult calculation - just that classical medical ethics aren't the only factor I'm considering.

I understand the transmissibility problem, but now you are saying that people should accept a higher level of personal risk of harm to themselves to prevent possible harm to others? Good luck selling that one.

It isn't a matter of classical medical ethics, it is a matter of actually figuring out what the real risk is, and as you have seen, that number has risen a few times, and it is unlikely we have reached the true number yet. These things have a habit of growing further than first expected and some people tend to stick to their starting views too long.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just looking away from UK shores for a moment :
Brazil yesterday reporting 4.2K deaths and 83K cases for one day
India, which obviously has a very large population, reporting 115K cases for one day

In the UK it feels a lot better than it did 3 months ago, but there are plenty more challenges ongoing worldwide

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
India, which obviously has a very large population, reporting 115K cases for one day

In the UK it feels a lot better than it did 3 months ago, but there are plenty more challenges ongoing worldwide
On the plus side, my BiL rang today from China. Life is fully back to normal. Bars, restaurants, cinema, no restrictions, no masks. The only query is foreign travel which still requires quarantine afterwards.

We keep hearing the negatives but we have to remind ourselves that there is a way out as well.

RichA

Visit site
I understand the transmissibility problem, but now you are saying that people should accept a higher level of personal risk of harm to themselves to prevent possible harm to others?
No. I didn't say that. You've read something that wasn't there.
I am giving it some thought and engaging in a conversation about perspective on a golf forum. Thankfully, I will never be the one making the decisions or telling people what they should do.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Yes and in respect of that, the BBC news headline says that a new variant is being blamed.
Eh?
Read a full report elsewhere, and it repeats the well known fact that the President who is sceptical of Covid aspects is not permitting any restrictions such as the majority of the rest of the world is taking.
I know which reports seem more accurate to me as to the cause of such high figures,and it isn't that about the new variant ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. I didn't say that. You've read something that wasn't there.
I am giving it some thought and engaging in a conversation about perspective on a golf forum. Thankfully, I will never be the one making the decisions or telling people what they should do.

I read you referencing transmissibility as a factor in policy-making. Did I misunderstand?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think Van Tam is well regarded, for a person in his position. I think he and Whitty probably think more like one another than you think, although Van Tam looks more willing to throw down and scrap it out. Whitty is more professorial, but has a lot of credibility. Not sure if not suffering fools is a durable working style when dealing with politicians, though.

I gather that some in the medial profession think Van Tam has started to enjoy his public image just a little bit too much, though.

RichA

Visit site
I read you referencing transmissibility as a factor in policy-making. Did I misunderstand?
Yes.
I was musing over statistics and probabilities that the individual might consider when perceiving risk and deciding whether to accept a vaccination or not.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Van Tam is well regarded, for a person in his position. I think he and Whitty probably think more like one another than you think, although Van Tam looks more willing to throw down and scrap it out. Whitty is more professorial, but has a lot of credibility. Not sure if not suffering fools is a durable working style when dealing with politicians, though.

I gather that some in the medial profession think Van Tam has started to enjoy his public image just a little bit too much, though.
I like the way Van Tam uses analogies to clarify medical policy to us laymen. I have a suspicion he will have a media career in the future.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the way Van Tam uses analogies to clarify medical policy to us laymen. I have a suspicion he will have a media career in the future.

I'm with Ethan, Van Tam is beginning to play to the galleries and in so doing is selecting some pretty silly analogies which are in danger of dumbing down the key and crucial messages IMO.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Preston or kuensberg: both!!!!
They ask the questions that need to be asked - that there should be answers for - and that I might wish to ask if I had the opportunity - which I dont.

As it happens I think some of the best and most instructive questions are asked by Beth Rigby of Sky News and Victoria MacDonald of Ch4 News. In fact I suspect that, where a question is asked that has already been asked and answered, rather than be irritated, VT values the opportunity to hammer home his message.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm with Ethan, Van Tam is beginning to play to the galleries and in so doing is selecting some pretty silly analogies which are in danger of dumbing down the key and crucial messages IMO.
I didn't read Ethan as saying that. I don't think Van Tam says anything 'Silly' either, he rather makes an attempt to clarify medical terms so that people can more readily understand them. The key and critical message is lost if confounded in medical terms not easily understood.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
They ask the questions that need to be asked - that there should be answers for - and that I might wish to ask if I had the opportunity - which I dont.

As it happens I think some of the best and most instructive questions are asked by Beth Rigby of Sky News and Victoria MacDonald of Ch4 News. In fact I suspect that, where a question is asked that has already been asked and answered, rather than be irritated, VT values the opportunity to hammer home his message.

They ask questions that they want to look good for asking amongst a certain section of the viewers.

And they are so predictable.