Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But that was the point of my initial point, we're almost at the end of the third week of schools being back and so far that doesn't seem to be happening. I was prepared for more cases etc once the schools all went back at once.
I expect the home testing has helped out a fair bit. Personally I'm loving making myself nearly hurl twice a week!??

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Alas, the police cannot strike. In terms of industrial muscle they have all the clout of a 10 year old black Labrador, lying in front of a roaring log fire with its tongue lolling out, rolling onto its back to have its tummy tickled. So no clout at all.

I do not disagree that the NHS deserves some sort of reward, but the country simply cannot afford an inflation busting pensionable pay rise. We’re skint.

A one off bonus payment perhaps? Although even that has to be limited.

I think you've seriously overestimated the level of our former employer's industrial muscle. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't agree with the "alas" over the lack of the right to strike (if I've interpreted it right? :unsure: ). I don't think any of the three emergency services or the NHS should have the right to strike. however in return they should have the right to be properly treated & not shafted by the Government.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think you've seriously overestimated the level of our former employer's industrial muscle. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't agree with the "alas" over the lack of the right to strike (if I've interpreted it right? :unsure: ). I don't think any of the three emergency services or the NHS should have the right to strike. however in return they should have the right to be properly treated & not shafted by the Government.

Totally agree. With both sides of the argument. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My daughter has been back at school a week and a bit. She's been at home with a cold for the last 2 days. Which she's caught despite having to wear a mask at all times whilst inside at school.

RichA

Visit site
Mrs A is a teacher and just under 50. Fingers crossed she'll be near the top of the list for the next round of jabs.
Reasonably large number of militant parents refusing to make their kids wear masks or take the twice weekly tests.
Idiots, in my opinion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Discovered earlier today that someone I know with an alcohol problem died of a related condition a couple of days ago. She had really struggled over the last few years and her husband left her shortly before the 1st lockdown because of it - she just couldn't cope with the loneliness of lockdown and in it could not control her illness - and it has taken her...so sad.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Mrs A is a teacher and just under 50. Fingers crossed she'll be near the top of the list for the next round of jabs.
Reasonably large number of militant parents refusing to make their kids wear masks or take the twice weekly tests.
Idiots, in my opinion.

I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of the face coverings most people wear. I've yet to see a study or evidence that shows that are as effective as they are made out to be.
Personally I can't see any point in kids wearing masks when sat in a classroom all day. The single use masks will be absolutely disgusting after a couple of hours and completely useless thereafter. Neve mind what they will be like after a full day or week.

My daughter has the choice to wear one or not. If she chose not to we would support her decision.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of the face coverings most people wear. I've yet to see a study or evidence that shows that are as effective as they are made out to be.
Personally I can't see any point in kids wearing masks when sat in a classroom all day. The single use masks will be absolutely disgusting after a couple of hours and completely useless thereafter. Neve mind what they will be like after a full day or week.

My daughter has the choice to wear one or not. If she chose not to we would support her decision.

I think that's something that needs to change. Would you let her wear the same pair of underwear for a week?

The amount of people that only have one mask is alarming. We need to start thinking of them as items of clothing, they'll be here for a while.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that's something that needs to change. Would you let her wear the same pair of underwear for a week?

The amount of people that only have one mask is alarming. We need to start thinking of them as items of clothing, they'll be here for a while.

I have 4 masks in my desk at work alone plus more in the car, at home, in various bags etc.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

I’m sure they’re very effective in laboratory settings but with the public no.
I don’t know anyone who wants to wear them, most purely wearing them because they have to. They’re kept in pockets, thrown on tables and worn multiple times and rarely changed.

If anything I think they’ve increased infections alongside some bank balances.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sure they’re very effective in laboratory settings but with the public no.
I don’t know anyone who wants to wear them, most purely wearing them because they have to. They’re kept in pockets, thrown on tables and worn multiple times and rarely changed.

As do I, and they get washed and rotated.

But a large amount of people don't wash their hands after taking a piss at a pub, let alone wash their masks.

RichA

Visit site
People I know are wearing them because they don't want to risk passing on a virus that kills a more vulnerable person. If a third of us might be asymptomatic spreaders, it's on a par with covering your mouth when you cough and sneeze and avoiding breathing on people, when you have a cold.
The advice about washing and changing the cotton masks has been out since the start and they cost peanuts in the supermarket.

On a separate note, I've heard that some people cheat at golf, so I've decided that I'm not going to bother with the rules and etiquette any more. I don't like them and sometimes they're slightly inconvenient.

BiMGuy

Visit site

She gets a new one every day (the environmental impact of disposable masks must be horrific). I suspect she is in a significant minority of kids that do. Even so, they cannot be effective at the end of the day.

Having worked in conditions that require people to have mask fittings and then that fitting be tested. Where training is given on the safe removal and disposal of masks, and the masks are only used once. I simply cannot believe that a disposable mask, home made mask, snood or scarf provide anything like the level of protection people have been told they provide. They are nothing more than a comfort blanket.
Just look at how many times people touch masks to adjust them?

I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone can provide evidence to the contrary.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Beginning to fully appreciate that going to the cinema and having a meal out feels like nirvana compared with the old sell of home cinema and a home-delivered pizza.

Each to their own, eh?
Cinema is a no for me.
Last time I went, quite a while ago, ridiculous noise levels, ( heavily "coloured") ,including from audience members, popcorn, chatting .
Caveat, however, is that it was a long time ago I went.Might have changed, but doubt it.
BTW, don't have food delivered either.?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
She gets a new one every day (the environmental impact of disposable masks must be horrific). I suspect she is in a significant minority of kids that do. Even so, they cannot be effective at the end of the day.

Having worked in conditions that require people to have mask fittings and then that fitting be tested. Where training is given on the safe removal and disposal of masks, and the masks are only used once. I simply cannot believe that a disposable mask, home made mask, snood or scarf provide anything like the level of protection people have been told they provide. They are nothing more than a comfort blanket.

Surely they are not so much to prevent stuff going in, more to lessen the impact of your expelled breath .
They are for other peoples protection more than your own. So....if everyone wears them we help each other.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think you are over thinking or estimating why people were asked/told to wear masks.

The Gov said:
Evidence shows a face covering can help in reducing the spread of droplets and therefore potentially infecting others, and could help to reduce the spread of infection as lockdown measures start to be lifted. It is important people refrain from touching their face covering when wearing it, where possible, to avoid hand to mask transmission of the virus.

No where have I seen any official spokesman claim to say what you require evidence for, the bold bits I’ve highlighted show you what has and is being said, ie, they are better than no barrier and can/could help reduce transmission infections etc.

They were never meant or claimed to be 100% guaranteed to protect anyone.