Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest did you feel that same about BLM, XR protesters etc? Only reason I ask is that I’ve seen plenty of people on social media branding them ‘Covidiots’ etc yet have #BLM etc all over their profile. I bet they weren’t saying the same about those protests last summer, it just happens that they don’t agree with this particular protest and therefore take offence about this lot breaking the rules.

Tyrone Ming's and Antony Joshua were involved , got a lot of support

Tbh only thing that disappointed me in Joshua was he didn't at least wear a mask to set an example

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Are there any updated results based on infectiveness of vaccinated people?

Just wondering with half of us (partly) vaccinated, plenty of the others had it already, what was the initial target for herd immunity a year ago? Wasn’t it 70ish percent?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why is it always the same types at these events? What a gaggle of pond fodder. I bet most of them haven't worked a full week in their lives! :ROFLMAO:

I watched it live for about an hour and I was surprised that they WASN’T the usual types, loads of black and Asians, a lot of young girls and a lot of silver haired ladies and gents. Pretty depressing really.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Why is it always the same types at these events? What a gaggle of pond fodder. I bet most of them haven't worked a full week in their lives! :ROFLMAO:

sounds like the children of the same unwashed that hijacked every miners March in 84. Swampys lad springs to mind. ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched it live for about an hour and I was surprised that they WASN’T the usual types, loads of black and Asians, a lot of young girls and a lot of silver haired ladies and gents. Pretty depressing really.
Probably too much time on their hands. You don't feel much like a protest rally after a hard day's work.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest did you feel that same about BLM, XR protesters etc? Only reason I ask is that I’ve seen plenty of people on social media branding them ‘Covidiots’ etc yet have #BLM etc all over their profile. I bet they weren’t saying the same about those protests last summer, it just happens that they don’t agree with this particular protest and therefore take offence about this lot breaking the rules.

Yes.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are there any updated results based on infectiveness of vaccinated people?

Just wondering with half of us (partly) vaccinated, plenty of the others had it already, what was the initial target for herd immunity a year ago? Wasn’t it 70ish percent?

Herd immunity is based on 1-1/R, so if R is 3, the percentage needed is 66%. If new variants have a higher R, then that percentage goes up. But herd immunity only stops a pandemic propagating, it doesn't stop case to case transmission.

The latest (and to be honest it was always this, although Govt experts didn't want to say) on transmission is that vaccination significantly reduces transmission. That stands to reason as a result of reducing replication of virus in exposed people, but real world data from Israel shows the effect too. Harder to quantify than individual risk because you are trying to measure it in the general population, but probably in the same range as the effect on individual risk.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan
Could you give an opinion on the suitability of the 'covaxin' vaccine in comparison to the more talked about makes?

As far as I am aware, Covax are not developing their own vaccine, they are trying to access some of the approved brands, AZ (and the Indian brand version Covishield), Pfizer and Moderna for distribution to developing countries. I assume Johnson and Johnson, Novavax and Valneva will be added as they become available. Dunno about Sputnik or the Chinese brands.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As far as I am aware, Covax are not developing their own vaccine, they are trying to access some of the approved brands, AZ (and the Indian brand version Covishield), Pfizer and Moderna for distribution to developing countries. I assume Johnson and Johnson, Novavax and Valneva will be added as they become available. Dunno about Sputnik or the Chinese brands.

Thanks. The island took delivery of 200k covaxin doses a couple of days ago (I guess the wealthiest countries are snapping up all available stock of the 'top brands') and the plan is to start issuing from tomorrow, but I just read that covaxin didn't have WHO approval yet but don't know if that's accurate or the reason for not approving

Dannyc

Visit site
Herd immunity is based on 1-1/R, so if R is 3, the percentage needed is 66%. If new variants have a higher R, then that percentage goes up. But herd immunity only stops a pandemic propagating, it doesn't stop case to case transmission.

The latest (and to be honest it was always this, although Govt experts didn't want to say) on transmission is that vaccination significantly reduces transmission. That stands to reason as a result of reducing replication of virus in exposed people, but real world data from Israel shows the effect too. Harder to quantify than individual risk because you are trying to measure it in the general population, but probably in the same range as the effect on individual risk.

So basically what your saying is once now that we are vaccinated and aside from any crazy mutations that’s beats the virus there is enough evidence showing vaccines will bring a end to all this?

Why would the government not want to tell us this??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So basically what your saying is once now that we are vaccinated and aside from any crazy mutations that’s beats the virus there is enough evidence showing vaccines will bring a end to all this?

Why would the government not want to tell us this??

Assuming no new vaccine-defeating variants come through, basically yes.

Govt have been very concerned to maintain solidarity and get people to stick to the regulations, so immunity certificates (based on having had Covid and developed antibodies) and vaccine passports concern them because they create two different tiers and if the non-immune or non-vaccinated saw the immune and vaccinated being able to do stuff they couldn't do, it would cause social unrest and a massive loss of sticking to the regulations and an increase in cases again. The vaccine passports are inevitable and Govt is preparing for them but they want it to look like they were dragged there by the market, airlines, entertainment venues, football clubs etc.

Dannyc

Visit site
Assuming no new vaccine-defeating variants come through, basically yes.

Govt have been very concerned to maintain solidarity and get people to stick to the regulations, so immunity certificates (based on having had Covid and developed antibodies) and vaccine passports concern them because they create two different tiers and if the non-immune or non-vaccinated saw the immune and vaccinated being able to do stuff they couldn't do, it would cause social unrest and a massive loss of sticking to the regulations and an increase in cases again. The vaccine passports are inevitable and Govt is preparing for them but they want it to look like they were dragged there by the market, airlines, entertainment venues, football clubs etc.

Excellent news and thanks ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks. The island took delivery of 200k covaxin doses a couple of days ago (I guess the wealthiest countries are snapping up all available stock of the 'top brands') and the plan is to start issuing from tomorrow, but I just read that covaxin didn't have WHO approval yet but don't know if that's accurate or the reason for not approving

Ah, it turns out that Covaxin is an Indian vaccine and I don't think it has to do with the organisation Covax. It is an attenuated virus vaccine, a traditional style vaccine, like the Chinese Sinopharma and Sinovax vaccines and looks like it has an efficacy in the same range as the other EU/UK approved vaccines.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had my first dose - brilliantly organised at Taunton Racecourse so I backed a winner there.

But I am experiencing what they call "Grease side-effects". As in I've got chills, they're multiplying ... and I'm losing control .... :LOL::ROFLMAO: