Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 18588

I started the volunteer process to be a needle sticker and quit when the very long application form asked for about 4 references (I think). As I've just been made redundant after 30 years and start a new job in Jan it just felt more faff than I wanted. If you want volunteers try not to put too many barriers in their place.

Sorry to disagree but if some well meaning amateur was to be sticking a needle into my arm I would be happier if I knew that person had been both trained and character checked.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to disagree but if some well meaning amateur was to be sticking a needle into my arm I would be happier if I knew that person had been both trained and character checked.

Would you want a reference from anyone who could attest to her needle sticking abilities? "To whom it may concern, I have witnessed AmandaJR use a hypodermic needle on many occasions and she handles it like a professional needle sticker".

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know Tash. I saw on telly last night upwards of 20 ambulance parked waiting to off load for hours. That then takes the crews off the road.
My dad spent hours in an ambulance then waiting in a corridor with the paramedics after a fall.
That was four years ago so it’s nothing new.
So we have not learned any lessons and this has just shown up shortcomings that have been there for years.
It’s not a good time to be ill..

D

Deleted member 18588

Would you want a reference from anyone who could attest to her needle sticking abilities? "To whom it may concern, I have witnessed AmandaJR use a hypodermic needle on many occasions and she handles it like a professional needle sticker".
I would certainly want to know that person had been trained and background checked.

I was a volunteer hospital driver and had to provide three referees as well as being CRB checked.

Or would you be happy for the job to be done by any volunteer?

D

Deleted member 16999

I would certainly want to know that person had been trained and background checked.

I was a volunteer hospital driver and had to provide three referees as well as being CRB checked.

Genuine question, What’s the worry?
Because of lockdown my wife had to change medication and basically went from a daily tablet to thin her blood (monitored weekly at hospital) to a daily injection administered at home by me.

No training, no choice, prescription turned up, crack on.

D

Deleted member 18588

My dad spent hours in an ambulance then waiting in a corridor with the paramedics after a fall.
That was four years ago so it’s nothing new.
So we have not learned any lessons and this has just shown up shortcomings that have been there for years.
It’s not a good time to be ill..

And yet my wife was referred to our local A&E yesterday and was dealt with almost immediately and no sign of any ambulances waiting outside or anywhere else.

We were anticipating a lengthy wait but, in fact, were able to take advantage of the free parking.

I do not for one moment deny that this was almost certainly a one off but it was our experience.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is a very specific focussed job under direct supervision. The main part is being able to stick the needle in without damaging the punter. I don't think the whole gamut of SOP training, which is mostly there to discharge the employer's liability ("They were trained, your honour") rather than actually educate the employee, should be necessary. The training requirements should also be focussed and pared down for a short term badly paid, essentially volunteer role. References are highly unreliable and are being abandoned by many employers as next to useless. The background checks are a racket for the companies that conduct them.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just for clarity. I had to agree to travel to and time for training plus a DBS check. Happy to do both but just got bogged down by the paperwork and didn't pursue.

D

Deleted member 18588

Genuine question, What’s the worry?
Because of lockdown my wife had to change medication and basically went from a daily tablet to thin her blood (monitored weekly at hospital) to a daily injection administered at home by me.

No training, no choice, prescription turned up, crack on.

At least your wife has the benefit of knowing you. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think a form of self administered vaccine would be in the pipeline.
Possibly for the second dose if the first dose has no side effects.
My wife has a self administered sort of “epipen “ for RA.
Or is it necessary to be monitored afterwards.
Storage is a problem I know ,

D

Deleted member 18588

This is a very specific focussed job under direct supervision. The main part is being able to stick the needle in without damaging the punter. I don't think the whole gamut of SOP training, which is mostly there to discharge the employer's liability ("They were trained, your honour") rather than actually educate the employee, should be necessary. The training requirements should also be focussed and pared down for a short term badly paid, essentially volunteer role. References are highly unreliable and are being abandoned by many employers as next to useless. The background checks are a racket for the companies that conduct them.

I accept that the supervision would be reassuring.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And yet my wife was referred to our local A&E yesterday and was dealt with almost immediately and no sign of any ambulances waiting outside or anywhere else.

We were anticipating a lengthy wait but, in fact, were able to take advantage of the free parking.

I do not for one moment deny that this was almost certainly a one off but it was our experience.
Interesting as my son works in a major hospital.
He said the place “ is like a ghost town”
Maybe people who really don’t need A&E are staying away, no visitors either.
COVID is keeping the hypochondriacs at bay?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I accept that the supervision would be reassuring.

As I understand it there are vaccinators, who do the sticking, above them healthcare professionals who check consent, look for allergic reactions, assist with drawing up syringes, and above them clinical supervisors who help organise the sessions, manage patients with concerns, keep an eye on vaccine supply and inventory, that sort of thing. The basic vaccinator role is a fast throughput production line role, paid at £10.09 to 11.19 an hour, which is a little bit more than an entry level McDonalds job.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I had exactly the same when I had a disagreement with my carving knife last weekend. Turned up at A+E, checked in with the lady on the desk and sat down in an almost empty waiting room. By the time I signed in to the free WiFi the doctor called me through to be seen. From entering the car park to leaving again was less than half an hour.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I understand it there are vaccinators, who do the sticking, above them healthcare professionals who check consent, look for allergic reactions, assist with drawing up syringes, and above them clinical supervisors who help organise the sessions, manage patients with concerns, keep an eye on vaccine supply and inventory, that sort of thing. The basic vaccinator role is a fast throughput production line role, paid at £10.09 to 11.19 an hour, which is a little bit more than an entry level McDonalds job.

I didn't think it was paid as I was going through St Johns and it's with them. I'd be more than happy to do anything to speed up the process, in my own time and at my own cost transport-wise. Maybe I was wrong to get to page 8 or whatever it was and see the reference requests and dip out but it was just seeming like so much hassle just to help out.

Mind you my ex employer might well have mentioned the time I ran amok in the office with a syringe just to get my fix...

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?
Well, when my father passed away earlier this month we knew that the funeral would have restricted numbers. It was unlikely that a wake could be held and I was OK with that. A golf club said they could do something and that numbers would be limited to 15 as per government Tier 4 rules. They then said they could accommodate 20. I was NOT OK with that, I wondered what other rules this establishment might be breaking? I didn’t go.

10 days before Christmas my elderly mother (88) fell and fractured her hip. She has some other serious health conditions. She needed, and had an operation. 2 ladies on her ward tested positive for Covid. She was discharged from hospital on Boxing Day, early in my opinion, as the hospital required the beds for the increasing number of Covid cases. The NHS and support team have been fantastic at making sure that her home was suitable and arranging a carer twice a day.

On Christmas Eve I spent a few hours changing our IG setup to accommodate 2 ball bookings and 9 hole courses, and rebooking those players with reservations from the 18 hole / 4 ball set up.
On Dec 27 I was contacted to ask why people couldn’t book golf online, despite the fact that on Christmas Eve we had put out a message that bookings wouldn‘t open until the 28th.

All of this is taking place in Tier 4.
The health service is overwhelmed, there are record numbers of cases being reported daily.
There is a new strain of the virus, and we are into a time of year when external conditions are not going to get better to help alleviate the problem.
I am at a loss to understand how this virus is spreading so fast if people follow the guidelines, but may be it’s all those who believe the rules dont apply to them, or those that push the boundaries because they can, perhaps some are asymptomatic.
I supported the relaxation of the first lockdown to allow golf to resume, but we are in a different scenario now.
There should be another lockdown.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For those with school age children this is the rumoured opening times....

Primary School (T1-3): 4/5th Jan
Key Exam Years: 11th Jan
Secondary School (T1-3): 18th Jan
Tier 4: 18/25th Jan (unclear which yet)

For me personally I have a primary school age child in a Tier 4 area so this is a nightmare. I’m self employed so cannot take time off to home school whilst my wife works for a small company who are very busy and she cannot take time off. Does this mean out daughter (6yrs) spends 2/3 weeks trying to teach herself?! Was really hoping they would see sense and keep Primary schools open.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those with school age children this is the rumoured opening times....

Primary School (T1-3): 4/5th Jan
Key Exam Years: 11th Jan
Secondary School (T1-3): 18th Jan
Tier 4: 18/25th Jan (unclear which yet)

For me personally I have a primary school age child in a Tier 4 area so this is a nightmare. I’m self employed so cannot take time off to home school whilst my wife works for a small company who are very busy and she cannot take time off. Does this mean out daughter (6yrs) spends 2/3 weeks trying to teach herself?! Was really hoping they would see sense and keep Primary schools open.

Is this true? My wife school txt them back to work Monday their tier 4

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is this true? My wife school txt them back to work Monday their tier 4

Came from a friend whose wife is a head. So far her info has been pretty reliable about children. I don’t think we have to wait for long with the announcement to be made today just after Hancock puts the entire country into Tier 4