Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Flights into Heathrow from Spain today. There were 4 flights from Spain today, and there are 7 scheduled for Sunday. In some cases the flights show Madrid to Barcelona to Heathrow. And on the UK-side some show the first stop as being Heathrow, then onto Glasgow.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Flights into Heathrow from Spain today. There were 4 flights from Spain today, and there are 7 scheduled for Sunday. In some cases the flights show Madrid to Barcelona to Heathrow. And on the UK-side some show the first stop as being Heathrow, then onto Glasgow.

Are there as many going the other way or are empty planes flying on the outward leg?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Are there as many going the other way or are empty planes flying on the outward leg?

Most are British Airways flights originating from the UK. There's the odd Iberia flight, which I think is a subsidiary of British Airways. Whether there's passengers going the other way, possibly as there are Spaniards coming home and Brits with Residencia returning home. Ticket prices are mental. Some people returning to the UK are doing so via the tunnel.

To be honest, from what I read today from a Brit returning to the UK the paperwork to do so is mental.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Most are British Airways flights originating from the UK. There's the odd Iberia flight, which I think is a subsidiary of British Airways. Whether there's passengers going the other way, possibly as there are Spaniards coming home and Brits with Residencia returning home. Ticket prices are mental. Some people returning to the UK are doing so via the tunnel.

To be honest, from what I read today from a Brit returning to the UK the paperwork to do so is mental.

HID's friend went back to Rome with AlItalia 2 weeks ago, said she was there was 5 on the flight.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a given that this will be the case, or that they think it's to tell them if they've had it...
I believe my colleagues and I will be eligible for this, it will be I interesting to see if anyone feels the need to take it, and if they test positive or not.
They will be disappointed then because it will only say if you have it not that you have had it. IMO it needs more control because it will be abused.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very impressed with Nicola Sturgeon today, her outlining the way forward was grim in some respects but she is trying to be upfront and honest with the public, that’s all I wanted to hear from our Westminster politicians, instead of treating the public like infants.

I didnt see the Nicola Sturgeon news conference so can't comment on that. I see it the other way Roy - they have to keep repeating why a lockdown cannot yet be allowed, partly because of the stupid questions that are asked, when common sense should really tell them the answer.
It sometimes reminds me of when my kids were much younger - driving on holiday to Cornwall and they would say, after barely half an hour into the journey, "Are we nearly there yet"?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I didnt see the Nicola Sturgeon news conference so can't comment on that. I see it the other way Roy - they have to keep repeating why a lockdown cannot yet be allowed, partly because of the stupid questions that are asked, when common sense should really tell them the answer.
It sometimes reminds me of when my kids were much younger - driving on holiday to Cornwall and they would say, after barely half an hour into the journey, "Are we nearly there yet"?

The Scottish news conferences are different to the way the government ones are, you get the sense they are treating you like adults and letting the public know how they are planning a way forward.
Having ministers coming on every night and basically saying the same thing and not letting on what plans they have for coming out of lockdown is not what I won’t to hear and find myself switching off.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember reading that also, but I think it's fabricated. Theres 6 international flights the rest of the day arriving into Heathrow for example. I saw couple repatriation flights overhead yesterday but that was it.

Thought the figure of 15K came from government during one of the daily briefings... So, hopefully government aren't merely just plucking numbers out of the air to suit...

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The Scottish news conferences are different to the way the government ones are, you get the sense they are treating you like adults and letting the public know how they are planning a way forward.
Having ministers coming on every night and basically saying the same thing and not letting on what plans they have for coming out of lockdown is not what I won’t to hear and find myself switching off.

It quite clear to me why the government is not "letting on what plans they have...."
If they did they would need to give some specifics, maybe dates, permissions etc.
The journos, Starmer et al, would then regard those as set in stone, and would demand adherence, regardless of how the situation developed in the meantime. If things didn't go to plan, and the intentions had to change, there would be accusations of 1. Lies, 2.You don't know what you're doing, etc.
The government know that, and so do the likes of Starmer, and the journos.
The last two just want the government to fall into the trap.

The way the government are handling it leaves all the options open. Of course they have a road map, but it's a road with some junctions on it that they can choose to go down, depending on outcomes and the science.

The other reason is that there will be elements of the public which will start the plan when they see fit, rather than when the government intend it to happen, justifying their actions by saying it's what the government want.

Each night the ministers are giving information as to the situation, something you would knock if they didn't. Because it bores you, that is not a good enough reason to not do it, or do something else that would hamper their handling of the crisis.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to get 4 new tyres on the car today ( still mowing lawns ) and was guided into outdoor bay then directed to the public bench just up the way and I'll call you once I'm done . Sat chilling in the sun and noticed that the very few folks who did come past gave me a very wide berth but all said hello and we passed comments on the weather. Took 50 mins for the guy to do them all and then asked to wait by door aas he did invoice and input data into card terminal before i was beckoned forward to do my bit as he retreated to rear of office . Once card went through I retreated and he pulled out receipt ( gloved hands) and passed it over with one of those litter pickers things , we wished each other all the best and I cleared off , top job (y)
I like the litter picker touch .. might order that and just use it anyway even after shut down ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It quite clear to me why the government is not "letting on what plans they have...."
If they did they would need to give some specifics, maybe dates, permissions etc.
The journos, Starmer et al, would then regard those as set in stone, and would demand adherence, regardless of how the situation developed in the meantime. If things didn't go to plan, and the intentions had to change, there would be accusations of 1. Lies, 2.You don't know what you're doing, etc.

The way the government are handling it leaves all the options open. Of course they have a road map, but it's a road with some junctions on it that they can choose to go down, depending on outcomes and the science.

The other reason is that there will be elements of the public which will start the plan when they see fit, rather than when the government intend it to happen, justifying their actions by saying it's what the government want.

Each night the ministers are giving information as to the situation, something you would knock if they didn't. Because it bores you, that is not a good enough reason to not do it, or do something else that would hamper their handling of the crisis.
If your worried about that then you set targets at key dates .. failure to meet those targets means you don’t progress to the next target ... and no I don’t think it’s a trap from the Labour Party, the press maybe but they influenced everyone to vote for Boris so why would they throw their man under the bus unless he is making an utter mess of it.
All your seeing is an inexperienced government trying to work it’s way through a mess they have no plans for. They also have a public who have lost faith in them and are not necessarily paying much attention to them - but this is all related to past behaviours.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your worried about that then you set targets at key dates .. failure to meet those targets means you don’t progress to the next target ... and no I don’t think it’s a trap from the Labour Party, the press maybe but they influenced everyone to vote for Boris so why would they throw their man under the bus unless he is making an utter mess of it.
All your seeing is an inexperienced government trying to work it’s way through a mess they have no plans for. They also have a public who have lost faith in them and are not necessarily paying much attention to them - but this is all related to past behaviours.
Count me out of that "Public" reference in your last paragraph.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well said. No more to add except just clicking "like" wasn't enough (y)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A very large portion of the 'public' are stupid.

Declaring any 'plan' will lead to a preemptive rush to 'freedom': just look at the panic buying of toilet rolls etc. Public 'moderation' has gone down in direct proportion to the media hype going up.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Declaring any 'plan' will lead to a preemptive rush to 'freedom': just look at the panic buying of toilet rolls etc. Public 'moderation' has gone down in direct proportion to the media hype going up.
Don’t think we can say “stupid “ perhaps a different opinion to our own ?

I think the government should divulge, make it precise and clear. I suppose it’s like the discussion about the Brexit negotiation strategy, and we all stand in different places with that one.

I am not of the opinion that a faction has a right to deem another, not wise enough to understand it. It’s very similar to a manager saying a reportee is a problem. A sweeping statement that shows no inclination to do the leg work or accept you have to give the benefit of the doubt.. but I know my views are In a minority on this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Well that’s a recent thing as they weren’t back in June 2016...?