Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that looking at the responses on this topic over the last couple of weeks. Folk are either losing interest or they think the pandemic is now over. The later I think, well it’s definitely not over. I feel the sleeping monster is waiting to be poked with a big stick. At the moment though it’s carry on as you are.
Re travels.
Week last Saturday I returned from Majorca. Shops and restaurants everyone wore them. Airports the same, but on the plane it is announced you do not have to wear a face mask. Most British didn’t. We did.
February, I was in Lanzarote. Exactly the same as being in Majorca re restraunt, shops airports and planes.
Nov/December I was in Gdańsk. Exactly the same everyone wore masks and yet they had a spike in COVID cases just after we left.
Off to Majorca next month, I expect exactly the same re mask wearing.Shops and restraunts will continue to wear them. If travellers have the option. They will not wear them.
What has changed over the last 5 months is having to show a COVID vaccine passport. My strong advice is to make sure you have one on your phone at the very minimum. We have always had one to show, but it has been hit and miss re whether it has been checked. When we arrived in Gdańsk/ Poland. They sent a guy back to the UK because he had not had his vaccinations.He was Polish.
If you are travelling abroad, double check that you have all relevant travel documents.

Of course, there's always the option of not travelling at all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think that looking at the responses on this topic over the last couple of weeks. Folk are either losing interest or they think the pandemic is now over. The later I think, well it’s definitely not over. I feel the sleeping monster is waiting to be poked with a big stick. At the moment though it’s carry on as you are.
Re travels.
Week last Saturday I returned from Majorca. Shops and restaurants everyone wore them. Airports the same, but on the plane it is announced you do not have to wear a face mask. Most British didn’t. We did.
February, I was in Lanzarote. Exactly the same as being in Majorca re restraunt, shops airports and planes.
Nov/December I was in Gdańsk. Exactly the same everyone wore masks and yet they had a spike in COVID cases just after we left.
Off to Majorca next month, I expect exactly the same re mask wearing.Shops and restraunts will continue to wear them. If travellers have the option. They will not wear them.
What has changed over the last 5 months is having to show a COVID vaccine passport. My strong advice is to make sure you have one on your phone at the very minimum. We have always had one to show, but it has been hit and miss re whether it has been checked. When we arrived in Gdańsk/ Poland. They sent a guy back to the UK because he had not had his vaccinations.He was Polish.
If you are travelling abroad, double check that you have all relevant travel documents.

Well said.

When you visit Majorca next month you will see a change ref masks. Now, as of last week, only required when on public transport, in a farmacia, health centres & hospitals.

When I was in the supermarket on Friday, all bar 2 people were still wearing masks. Yesterday only the till staff were wearing masks. Some businesses have made it a requirement but that won’t last long - it’s causing angst and customers are moving on to the next bar/restaurant.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, it has been just over 2 years, and I've finally got Covid. Must have picked it up on a golf trip last week, 5 of the 16 that were on it came back with positive tests this weekend. Thankfully, there have been barely any symptoms at all for myself. A slight sore throat in the mornings, and a few night chills on Sunday night.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, it has been just over 2 years, and I've finally got Covid. Must have picked it up on a golf trip last week, 5 of the 16 that were on it came back with positive tests this weekend. Thankfully, there have been barely any symptoms at all for myself. A slight sore throat in the mornings, and a few night chills on Sunday night.

Oh, the irony!
It has been just over two years, and I've finally got Covid.
Picked it up on last week's golf trip to Spain ......................... all four of us have tested +ve today.
No real symptoms other than a slightly runny nose.
Bummer!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting presentation at a medical conference recently that in a series of cases of acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), the proportion that had no detectable obstruction of their coronary arteries was much higher than usual in people who previously had Covid infection. Mortality rates were also higher than usual.

I have banged on about this here before, that Covid causes inflammatory effects outside the lungs that can cause later damage. In this case it is considered to be possibly due to direct effects of the virus on the heart and thrombi and micro-thrombi.

Shame Warne died at 52 or thereabouts of a myocardial infarction. He had bad Covid a few months before. I think it is very possible the two events are connected.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting presentation at a medical conference recently that in a series of cases of acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), the proportion that had no detectable obstruction of their coronary arteries was much higher than usual in people who previously had Covid infection. Mortality rates were also higher than usual.

I have banged on about this here before, that Covid causes inflammatory effects outside the lungs that can cause later damage. In this case it is considered to be possibly due to direct effects of the virus on the heart and thrombi and micro-thrombi.

Shame Warne died at 52 or thereabouts of a myocardial infarction. He had bad Covid a few months before. I think it is very possible the two events are connected.
Great ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Study of Scottish Covid survivors published in Nature Medicine, showing that at lest 1 in 8 of hospitalised patients developed myocarditis as a complication. Interestingly, they found that the severity of the Covid infection was related to the risk of myocarditis (and, presumably, other organ damage).

Link

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, the irony!
Picked it up on last week's golf trip to Spain ......................... all four of us have tested +ve today.
Bummer!

I had nine consecutive days of +ve tests before I got a -ve test result!
The irony is that I only felt unwell for about 18 hours!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Oh, the irony!
Bummer!

Its you that brought it here was it!

5 members diagnosed with it last night/today, and the club is now closed for a week.

The son of a member flew over, from Gatwick, 8 days ago, whilst not feeling well. Gave it to his dad who has spread it around the club.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its you that brought it here was it!

5 members diagnosed with it last night/today, and the club is now closed for a week.

The sun of a member flew over, from Gatwick, 8 days ago, whilst not feeling well. Gave it to his dad who has spread it around the club.

No. I didn't take it to Spain, I merely brought it back! ;)
I blame the Spanish. (y)
However, on the BA flight back to Gatwick, there was an announcement over the PA reminding passengers that we were on 'a mask free flight'.
Absolutely staggering.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I mentioned it before but following my covid booster I started getting pain in my upper arm and shoulder. It wasn’t injection site pain, it was different and difficult to describe. I tried to ignore it for 3 or 4 months as this was seemingly the period of time advised to see how things develop. It never improved.

I’ve lost a lot of mobility in the shoulder, it’s wrecked my golf swing amongst other things. I can’t sleep on it, and when moving to certain positions it is shockingly painful and causes my lower arm to go numb for a minute or two. I’ve just been mostly ignoring it as best I can even though it’s causing extreme annoyance but last week my patience ran out.

Privately I went to see a physiotherapist. Went through all the consultancy and examination and at the end she says, “You’re the 8th over 40’s male I’ve seen in the last two months with identical complaint and symptoms. It’s an inflamed shoulder capsule or frozen shoulder. We don’t know and don’t have a lot of research on what’s caused it but there does seem to be a pattern I’m seeing of people like you coming in after their booster. Treatment might not work, ordinarily frozen shoulders can sometimes take two or three years to treat. Are you willing to give it a go?”

So here I am, stretching 3 times a day and feeling really depressed about it. That combined with the hernia and repair I had last year has wrecked a number of physical activities and I’ve lost a lot of my upper body strength and fitness. Climbing is completely wrecked and no-go. Golf is a miserable experience both in terms of pain and scoring. Thankfully the cycling and hillwalking is still good but I’m struggling with motivation.

Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else is having or had similar issues.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I mentioned it before but following my covid booster I started getting pain in my upper arm and shoulder. It wasn’t injection site pain, it was different and difficult to describe. I tried to ignore it for 3 or 4 months as this was seemingly the period of time advised to see how things develop. It never improved.

I’ve lost a lot of mobility in the shoulder, it’s wrecked my golf swing amongst other things. I can’t sleep on it, and when moving to certain positions it is shockingly painful and causes my lower arm to go numb for a minute or two. I’ve just been mostly ignoring it as best I can even though it’s causing extreme annoyance but last week my patience ran out.

Privately I went to see a physiotherapist. Went through all the consultancy and examination and at the end she says, “You’re the 8th over 40’s male I’ve seen in the last two months with identical complaint and symptoms. It’s an inflamed shoulder capsule or frozen shoulder. We don’t know and don’t have a lot of research on what’s caused it but there does seem to be a pattern I’m seeing of people like you coming in after their booster. Treatment might not work, ordinarily frozen shoulders can sometimes take two or three years to treat. Are you willing to give it a go?”

So here I am, stretching 3 times a day and feeling really depressed about it. That combined with the hernia and repair I had last year has wrecked a number of physical activities and I’ve lost a lot of my upper body strength and fitness. Climbing is completely wrecked and no-go. Golf is a miserable experience both in terms of pain and scoring. Thankfully the cycling and hillwalking is still good but I’m struggling with motivation.

Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else is having or had similar issues.

I think the physio may, at least in part, be seeing customers. I haven't seen this epidemic of middle aged blokes with frozen shoulder reported on a doctors social media site which discusses all things Covid.

There have been reports of injectors going a bit deep and hitting the shoulder capsule, the bag that holds the joint fluid for the shoulder. 'Frozen shoulder' is a rather vague term, but conditions of the capsule are usually a large part of them. I would have thought that the injection experience would be noticeably different if the needle hit the capsule, though. Exercise regimes are the mainstay of treatment.

I would be inclined to get a referral to a rheumatologist.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife is currently ill with Covid. Strong positive result. So I decided to do a test too. Very faint line (very faint) but three tests in a row where all the same. Next day and I'm showing negative. Surely you can't have covid for one day? Last time I had it was 6 months ago.

I know my wife got it from the plane back with her friends (they're all possitve) I last tested negative two days before my wide got home

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife is currently ill with Covid. Strong positive result. So I decided to do a test too. Very faint line (very faint) but three tests in a row where all the same. Next day and I'm showing negative. Surely you can't have covid for one day? Last time I had it was 6 months ago.

I know my wife got it from the plane back with her friends (they're all possitve) I last tested negative two days before my wide got home

Big girl, is she? ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seems to be spreading rapidly in our area and mask wearing is very low…but not hearing any guidance other than Jenny Harries yesterday telling us to ‘take normal precautions’…whatever these are.

Speaking to a friend with it earlier (did some shopping for her)…she’s had it over a week…cough has gone but struggling with fatigue, dizziness and stiffness in neck and shoulders. Lots of staff in her school going off with it…most being of 50+ age group…so the age group who finished their injections about 6months ago…the length of time I understand for which the vaccines are most effective…

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems to be spreading rapidly in our area and mask wearing is very low…but not hearing any guidance other than Jenny Harries yesterday telling us to ‘take normal precautions’…whatever these are.

Speaking to a friend with it earlier (did some shopping for her)…she’s had it over a week…cough has gone but struggling with fatigue, dizziness and stiffness in neck and shoulders. Lots of staff in her school going off with it…most being of 50+ age group…so the age group who finished their injections about 6months ago…the length of time I understand for which the vaccines are most effective…
Do you mean the time vaccines are less effective.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you mean the time vaccines are less effective.
Well yes…meant that about six months is the time for which the vaccines are most effective, after which they become less effective. So all us over 50s and more so over 60s vaccinated about 6 months ago will now have reducing protection. And in my friends school, and as for her, it seems to be over 50s, and 60s especially, who are going down with it.