Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to Missis T this morning. She mentioned when she went out the other night with 4 women who she did her nurse training with last decade. One of the women has been heavily involved with vaccinations since day one. she said “ when we first started vaccinations it was quiet, deaths rates shot up and vaccinations went through the ceiling, we were inundated. Now we just cannot get the young uns in to get vaccinated”.
Now I was very surprised by this. I remember at various stages through this pandemic, the younger generation were not best pleased having restrictions placed upon them due to high deaths rates amongst the elderly. Now it is time for the younger generation to do there bit re vaccination, it’s not happening to the levels one would hope. I fully get that the younger ones are stronger with less underlying health issues. But having just seen a young woman on the news suffering with long Covid. Why are the younger generation snubbing vaccines?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why are the younger generation snubbing vaccines?

A possible answer is that maybe an awful lot of this age group have had it and so have natural immunity. Longer term that’s surely better than boosters as they’re younger and so having a yearly booster simply isn’t practical.

Article about it on the BBC website…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58270098

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they have a belief that covid won't impact them, they will just brush it off. On the whole they are right. They then ask themselves why take a new vaccine when catching the virus barely makes them ill? They don't need it in their eyes.

I'm not saying I agree but that is the thinking, as I've heard it anyway.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
A possible answer is that maybe an awful lot of this age group have had it and so have natural immunity. Longer term that’s surely better than boosters as they’re younger and so having a yearly booster simply isn’t practical.

IIRC didn't Ethan say that natural antibodies plus vaccine is better than the former alone?
IOW, if you have an army, it also helps if another army fights with you?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

As I read the article, it isn't saying having the virus is preferable to having the vaccine ,thus recommending declining the vaccine.
They are saying that after initial antibody( and T cell) acquisition , then booster vaccine is less desirable than later exposures to the virus.
Here is a quote from the article that seems to support being vaccinated.

"There is clear evidence that adults who have not had any vaccine dose will have stronger immune defences if they do get vaccinated, even if they have caught Covid before."

No way does the article support not having the vaccine at all.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No way does the article support not having the vaccine at all.

I agree that the article isn't arguing against vaccination, my suggestion was that if you're amongst the younger generation your attitude is more likely to be that "I've got natural immunity (assuming they've had it) so I'll go with that rather than having the vaccine on top".

Given that the vaccine does loose efficacy over time though surely natural immunity is going to be the only way forward long term, I can see boosters being offered once or twice a year to the entire population?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I agree that the article isn't arguing against vaccination, my suggestion was that if you're amongst the younger generation your attitude is more likely to be that "I've got natural immunity (assuming they've had it) so I'll go with that rather than having the vaccine on top".

Given that the vaccine does loose efficacy over time though surely natural immunity is going to be the only way forward long term, I can see boosters being offered once or twice a year to the entire population?

Yes, that may be their attitude, I agree. But the article suggests ( though not too clearly ) that it is still better to have the natural immunity afforded by infection plus a vaccination.
That is less obvious because the main thrust was the Profs suggesting that offering continual boosters to the population was less efficient than repeated exposures to the virus. The latter way building stronger immunity.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What i find quite interesting is the difference in daily numbers between now and this time last year..
Middle of August 2020 we were seeing total new cases of a thousand or less and deaths in single figures.
Now, 30k new cases and 100+ deaths a day and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.
People were losing their minds over numbers like these at one time
Have we, as a general public, reached our "acceptable " level of cases and deaths?
I know hospitalisation numbers are crucial as well but these numbers seem consistently high.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What i find quite interesting is the difference in daily numbers between now and this time last year..
Middle of August 2020 we were seeing total new cases of a thousand or less and deaths in single figures.
Now, 30k new cases and 100+ deaths a day and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.
Have we, as a general public, reached our "acceptable " level of cases and deaths?
I know hospitalisation numbers are crucial as well but these numbers seem consistently high.

Maybe less people care because they´ve been jabbed.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe less people care because they´ve been jabbed.

Maybe with the success of England’s vaccination program this is being accepted as life now. We can’t do much more than we are now as, in my experience, mask wearing is still pretty good so this is it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It could be worse, you could live in Mississippi

Doctors and scientists tell the people of Mississippi to take the free Covid-19 vaccine.
Nope.
Instead, they are buying Ivermectin for Covid-19 from their live stock supply centres.
Ivermectin is used to de-worm horses.
Guess why they are buying and taking de-worming medication and not the free proven vaccine

They should be taken off the air :mad:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could be worse, you could live in Mississippi

Doctors and scientists tell the people of Mississippi to take the free Covid-19 vaccine.
Nope.
Instead, they are buying Ivermectin for Covid-19 from their live stock supply centres.
Ivermectin is used to de-worm horses.
Guess why they are buying and taking de-worming medication and not the free proven vaccine

They should be taken off the air :mad:

Ivermectin does not work for Covid and has some serious toxicity issues. it may have antiviral properties in a test tube, but human physiology turns out to be a tad more complicated.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ivermectin does not work for Covid and has some serious toxicity issues. it may have antiviral properties in a test tube, but human physiology turns out to be a tad more complicated.
Don't think it's known with any degree of confidence whether or not it works.
Oxford University are just starting a large RCT to find out.
All trials so far have been small with mixed results.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think it's known with any degree of confidence whether or not it works.
Oxford University are just starting a large RCT to find out.
All trials so far have been small with mixed results.

The trials so far have been a mix of well conducted, and mostly negative, and badly conducted, and occasionally positive. Studies will sometimes show positive results based on chance alone, other times they have been deliberately set up to show the desired effect.

It is now clear that the overall data set available, when poorly designed and conducted studies are removed, show that it simply does not work, and almost certainly does a lot of harm. There is no meaningful support for it in the medical and scientific community. The Oxford study is probably now somewhat regretted, but a publication on your CV is a publication, so not a complete waste of time.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently the infection rate is approx equal to the population of Bristol every two weeks and looks like it's going to get worse this winter.