Coping with wind

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gentlemen,
My pro has told me to be as slow as possible in my back swing so I remain completely in control of my swing. Believe me it has really worked a treat, the balls are going just as far if not farther and 90% straight. On Monday, we had 25 mile per hour winds, and I really struggled to swing properly as slowly as I am being told to, and sliced and hooked lots of shots. So I was wondering if there is anything that golfers do differently in the wind than during still rounds? I know most people try to keep the ball lower but how do you keep stable in your swing? Or is it a case of changing swing speed? (I should add that my body has the aerodynamics of a small bus, a stick insect I am not)

imran_ali

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The simple advice I have always been given is always go with a extra club and try to ignore the wind (what i find is if i think about the wind too much then i start to hook and pull oh and the famous shank lol).

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have heard and read various pieces of advice which in summary amount to:take an extra club, grip down and swing easy and when putting widen your stance a bit.

Don't get a lot of windy days down here and maybe some of the regular links players on here have some good tips.