Considering the current 2m social distancing, how many players to a Tee when we restart?

With how many playing partners would you feel safe to share the tee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's a fair point, but if they do take the view that socially distanced golf is safe, then it's safe. 2, 3 or 4 people is going to make v little difference or they won't allow it at all.

Trying to 'reduce the risk' becomes an optics game in that you don't want to let these pursuits get going if people see it as 'business as usual'.

However it would be much safer to have 'business as usual' with no one over age 60 allowed to play in groups (other than from their own household).

But it seems the government are unwilling or unable to point out just how much more serious it is for elderly people to contract the virus compared to younger people.
60 ? that would exclude 95% of our Senior section, probably get a better idea from Monday when I assume those visiting Garden centres will only be allowed in as couples every ten minutes and to keep several yards apart ! may just as well go and join the queue at B & Q

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
The club has already published it'll be 10 minute gaps and two balls so the decision has been made. Time will be booked online and my biggest concern is that people will book for their mates although the mail we received seemed to read that they're limiting the booking to one name per person. Believe that when I see it. Can see the weekend times going in a flash, especially those looking to play their normal times.

I don't see an issue with letting people book 1 tee time for them and a mate. Ordinarily i'd play with anyone and offer to make up a 4 etc, but, given we are limited to 2 balls and I've not seen or played golf with my mates for 8 weeks, i'd want to play with them.

Visit site
Today's Daily Telegraph: Leading Swedish Epidemiologist says "Britain's Lockdown was futile". Look I know nothing, so don't shoot the messenger, BUT his comments must be worth consideration. We have the highest death count in Europe don't we, so this Lockdown can't have been deemed a success?
I would be more than happy to play a four ball in a big wide open space otherwise know as a golf course.
To be fair, with all this chat I've lost a bit of interest, and will go with the flow. Far too busy in the garden, and rebuilding my motorcycle.
Meanwhile, with regard the remark from Grant85 re over 60s only playing with their family group.....I hang my head in shame at the human race. Many over 60s are fitter than folk 10years younger. What IS the matter with you all?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Today's Daily Telegraph: Leading Swedish Epidemiologist says "Britain's Lockdown was futile". Look I know nothing, so don't shoot the messenger, BUT his comments must be worth consideration. We have the highest death count in Europe don't we, so this Lockdown can't have been deemed a success?
I would be more than happy to play a four ball in a big wide open space otherwise know as a golf course.
To be fair, with all this chat I've lost a bit of interest, and will go with the flow. Far too busy in the garden, and rebuilding my motorcycle.
Meanwhile, with regard the remark from Grant85 re over 60s only playing with their family group.....I hang my head in shame at the human race. Many over 60s are fitter than folk 10years younger. What IS the matter with you all?

Yes, speaking as a fit 72 year old I would rather they chose the overweight male category as they seem to be in the high risk camp.
That should cut the 1st tee queues quite dramatically.:love:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd be okay with 3 partners, primarily because we often only have 3 people from our 4 ball, so somebody would have to give. Of course I'm no scientist or medical expert, so whatever the advice is we'll follow. However, as I said before, the biggest problem is around the tee box and social distancing at those 18 pinch points; 4 is harder to achieve than 2, but at all other points on the course I see a 4 ball as no worse that than 2.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think you could have a 5 or even 6 ball, that first drive will result in us all going off like the Red Arrows formation team ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As one who is still working M-F 9-5 I'm going to be a grumpy bunny if the Saturday tee times are filled with guys who can (and often do) play any day of the week...just saying...especially when I find that I can't roll up about 7:00pm of an evening for a few holes without having to book...but I guess tee booking will extend until sundown...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As one who is still working M-F 9-5 I'm going to be a grumpy bunny if the Saturday tee times are filled with guys who can (and often do) play any day of the week...just saying...especially when I find that I can't roll up about 7:00pm of an evening for a few holes without having to book...but I guess tee booking will extend until sundown...
Think you're going to be very grumpy then. Most of the regular Saturday/Sunday guys I can guarantee will scramble for their normal times or as a close as possible. I've already decided that a late afternoon weekend round is hopefully going to be easier to book, less congested on the course and easier to play at a sensible pace and I'll not be in anyones way behind if I don't play well first few times back

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

To be fair, if you are looking at 18 holes, 2 balls and 10 minutes between groups, I suspect that my club has enough weekend only golfers to fill those spots and more.

Has anyone's club mentioned any restrictions on booking when open, maybe only 1 tee time at weekends and a couple in the week etc. so as there is a fair distribution.

Diamond

Visit site
2 players would be easier than 3 or 4 to socially distance for a 4 hour round. Of course it would work with 3 or 4 but some people at some clubs would not comply for 4 hours.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously an age and Yorkshire thing ?
Don't know about that, as I've heard you're as old as you feel & your H/cap reflects it!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: A see yours has fell off yer profile. :unsure::unsure:
As for the 'Yarkshire' bit....... I have indeed picked up a few local expressions since moving to the Midlands here!! o_O

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why isn't 4 an option. In the main we were playing in 4 balls before the lock down and maintaining social distancing, there were a few who seemed to be incapable of social distancing regardless of the number in the group.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why no option for 4 balls? As Ian says, it isn't difficult to stay apart!

I've heard rumours of 2 balls every 10 minutes. That's 12 people on the course per hour, we have 550 playing members......
Not quite, that's 36 people on the course at any time, at the rate of 12 per hour - and maybe 24 for the 1st 90 mins if a 2 Tee start is available).
I agree that 4-balls aren't difficult to manage social distancing in, but GB72's comments about the number of households involved is a sound argument for 2-balls only - at least in the first instance.