Considering something more forgiving....

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
Evening guys, I would like to hear what you think is a good more forgiving set of irons. I've looked at the i15's and think they look good.

I'm using Wilson fg tours just now there standard lofts 1 degree upright and have project x 6.0. My bad strike is usually a toe hit and my miss is a big hook or can block it right

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Miss hit or a block right is exactly what I've struggled with and it was down to grip. Super strong left hand. No matter what sticks I use s grip fault us a grip fault. I'd personally have a lesson to see if there is a fault there, I opted did new irons without the lesson first, after shelling out £400+ my bag looked better but my fault........... Yup still there.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pablo....What handicap are you mate and how's your ball striking......

The reason i ask is i bought those very irons a while back.There lovely bats...I loved them but i had to be true to myself they were hurting my game more than helping....Now i know i could have been a bit more patient and maybe i might have grown into them but i got impatient and went and traded them against what i have now.....Cobra S2's

I was a have decent ball striker with my Irons but since i changed to the S2's they are so much easier to use its almost cheating.....

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm getting lessons oddsocks and my grips okay, it's maybe a tad strong. My right hand actually comes loose at the top and the club sometimes hits the back of my neck!

I got customfitted for my irons and hit them great at the fitting then since I've had them I've struggled with them on the course. I know it's a swing fault so I'll maybe keep them till I've fixed the flaws but I can see myself trading them in for a new set

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
My handicap is 10. It was 8 two years ago.

My ball striking is usually quite inconsistent but I have to say with the fg's it's pretty rubbish. The sweetspot is the size of a one pence piece! I used to play with rac lt2's I might give them another go as I still have them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a decent ball striker, why not look at the S56 instead so that you still get a decent looking club with a touch of forgiveness or alternatively give the MP63 a whirl. I can also recommend the R9 TP's but they may be a bit chunky looking for your eye

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers homer I'll check them out. I wouldn't mind something chunkier as it wouldn't look so bloody hard to hit!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you like the I15 then the R9 TP's will give you another option and they come with KBS shafts which is always a good thing in my book. I did have the normal R9's but had the chance to get my Tour Preffered (which I had wanted for a while) at a silly price

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with Homer, Pablo......Those i15's are starting to grow on me a little.....I had a chance of hitting the 6 Iron last week and i was pleasently surprised by them...

They weren't even a club that i had thought about up until then.....Also if your a wilson fan...Try there Ci9 Irons.....They are sweet looking and alot more forgiving than the FG Tours but are not like looking down on a waffle iron on a stick at address ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would keep the irons and get some lessons. If you are losing grip at the top and bringing the club severely from the inside, the grip and swing needs fixed, not the irons replaced.

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm getting lessons ethan and to fix the grip I've to apply more pressure to my two middle fingers and the pad of my right hand to the left thumb and have more of a trigger with my right thumb and forefinger. A drill I'm using is to put a piece of paper on the pad of my right hand try and keep it there.