Confused by the release

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Just a quick one - because my brain is fried and it's still early!

Maybe someone could explain something to a luddite like me.

I remember reading - in GM I think - that the golf ball is in contact with the club face for something like 1/240th of a second on average whenever you swing through.

What I don't understand therefore is how the release of the club can effect your shot in any way - surely by that point the ball is already well on its way ahead of you?

Or am I being thick?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The release determines the loft and direction of the clubface at impact.
If the grip is neutral, you shouldn't have to think about it, it should happen naturally.

barrybridges

Head Pro
I guess my question is - to go back to your points though - is the release of the club symptomatic of everything that goes before, or does it actually affect the flight of the ball? I.e. 1/240th of a second after impact the ball has gone, but you haven't really begun the release at all. However, the release reflects how well the first part of your swing went.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
I guess my question is - to go back to your points though - is the release of the club symptomatic of everything that goes before, or does it actually affect the flight of the ball? I.e. 1/240th of a second after impact the ball has gone, but you haven't really begun the release at all. However, the release reflects how well the first part of your swing went.

From my understanding I thought the whole point of releasing the golf club was so that the club face makes impact with the ball at a square angle, therefore sending the ball straight...?

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Just read you blog Barry, interesting stuff, have the same issue with takeaway - hinging instantly after address, at least we're never be out to in!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There is no such thing as 'release' at impact, release is waaaay after the strike when the arms both extend fully on the swingplane.

Here's Hogan at what could/should be considered the 'release'...

2006-04-12_092012_hogan_hold_on.jpg

barrybridges

Head Pro
There is no such thing as 'release' at impact, release is waaaay after the strike when the arms both extend fully on the swingplane.

Here's Hogan at what could/should be considered the 'release'...

2006-04-12_092012_hogan_hold_on.jpg

That's exactly what I mean - by that time the ball is long gone and no matter what your release looks like it's not going to affect the flight of the ball, surely?

In which case, I'm confused.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
That's exactly what I mean - by that time the ball is long gone and no matter what your release looks like it's not going to affect the flight of the ball, surely?

Very true...
In that case, my slicing becomes another mystery! I thought it was either my grip or my release of the club..

Uh oh! :-(

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick one - because my brain is fried and it's still early!

Maybe someone could explain something to a luddite like me.

I remember reading - in GM I think - that the golf ball is in contact with the club face for something like 1/240th of a second on average whenever you swing through.

What I don't understand therefore is how the release of the club can effect your shot in any way - surely by that point the ball is already well on its way ahead of you?

Or am I being thick?
dont over understand the correct theory of it myself barry but the way i look at it is the release is a bi product of the swing , so the release is relative to the way/speed you make contact with the ball: ie accelerating through the hit, so full release completes a full swing, in theory you should have better contact with the ball . as i say this is not a professional point of view just mine . if you stop your follow through short it means you didnt make full swing or you were actualy slowing your swing down at or just before contact with the ball, either way it affects the contact & flight of the ball , , did any of that make sence? sorry if it didnt

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Very true...
In that case, my slicing becomes another mystery! I thought it was either my grip or my release of the club..

Uh oh! :-(

Your slice (all shot shapes in fact) is a combination of swingpath direction at impact and where the clubface is pointing at impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your slice (all shot shapes in fact) is a combination of swingpath direction at impact and where the clubface is pointing at impact.

I need lessons to solve this I think.

James is spot on. There's no mystery.
The slice is caused by either
1. A golfer has an out to in swingpath so learns how to open the club face at impact to spin the ball back somewhere near the fairway.
Or

2.The golfer has an open clubface position at impact (dodgey grip) so tries to pull the swing left to correct it.

Whichever you are, you have to improve your swing path and clubface position to hit it straight(er)

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is a dodgy grip the only cause of an open clubface. I've been told my grip is neutral but still occasionally leave it open. Have you any drills for squaring the clubface at impact.

(please say yes ;))

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people's hands and arms hang naturally open or closed.
If yours hang a little open, you may need a slightly stronger grip than neutral

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I always thought that the slice was caused, in the main, by 'hitting' the ball with your hands - boxer like - leaving the clubhead behind and slightly open!

When players take up the game it is learning this delay to allow the clubhead through the ball, that is most difficult and indeed it is the reason that some golfers appear to have effortless swings in comparison to others ... timing.

Very often the more annoyed the player the faster the hands, the bigger the fade!

It is learning the clubface timing, be it driver or putter, that makes the shot "sweet" in my opinion.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I always thought that the slice was caused, in the main, by 'hitting' the ball with your hands - boxer like - leaving the clubhead behind and slightly open!

It's that and a combination of swingpath, if you swing in:to:eek:ut enough then it's a good recipe for a hook or nice push-draw, swing square to the clubface and it's a block swing straight (or out:to:in) and it's a slice.

It's a combination of clubface AND swingpath that produces shot shapes, understanding how they infuence the ball flight and what you can do to change the clubface/swingpath is the key to understanding the swing.

I can hit a pretty tasty hook with the clubface 'open' and the clubhead lagging behind! :)