Deleted member 16999

Can someone please help.

Rule 4 - The Player’s Equipment, clearly states a player:

Must use Conforming Clubs and Balls,
Under 8G -Committee Procedures it states the following

Restrictions on Use of Specific Equipment

G-1

List of Conforming Driver Heads

Purpose. To remove any doubt that drivers being used in a competition are conforming:

• A Committee can choose to require players to use only drivers whose clubheads have been evaluated and approved as conforming under the Equipment Rules.
  • A List of Conforming Driver Heads is found at RandA.org.
This Local Rule is recommended for use only in competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional and elite amateur competitions).

Model Local Rule G-1

"Any driver the player uses to make a stroke must have a clubhead, identified by model and loft, which is on the current List of Conforming Driver Heads issued by The R&A.

This list is regularly updated and is found at RandA.org.

Exception - Pre-1999 Driver Heads: A driver with a clubhead that was made before 1999 is exempt from this Local Rule.

Penalty For Making a Stroke with Club in Breach of this Local Rule: Disqualification.

There is no penalty under this Local Rule for carrying but not making a stroke with a driver that is not on the List of Conforming Driver Heads."

Why if Rule 4 says Clubs must be conforming would you need the local rule?
And, if a Golf Club does not adopt this local rule are members free to use non-conforming clubs in club competitions?

Why would any level of Golf need such a local rule?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be conforming, a club needs to meet the specification laid down in the equipment rules. If it meets the spec, its conforming . It may not have been assessed as conforming , but it is. My understanding is that to be on the "List of Conforming Clubs" the club needs to be assessed as such by the R&A or USGA. For elite comps, organisers may want the guarantee that a club conforms, so can use the local rule to restrict it to clubs on the list - ie those that have been assessed as conforming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

From the England Golf 2019 Hard Card:
11. Clubs and Ball
(i) List of Conforming Driver Heads: Model Local Rule G-1 is in effect, except for all handicap events.

Obviously Handicap events probably won’t involve highly skilled players as per G-1 is aimed at, but does it mean players are still meant to use conforming clubs in handicap comps but the relevant comp organisers will not be checking their bags. o_O

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was disgraceful when they made certain clubs non conforming, especially for us h/c and older golfers.
I bought a King cobra 460 hi-core the year before they banned its use in comps.
I did gain a few badly needed yards using it.
Can i now use it again under local rule G-1 ????.

Imagine the uproar if they did something the same the same with 1 year old cars, sorry but you can't drive your year old car on motorways after next year, because the wheels are too big and they go too fast.:mad:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the England Golf 2019 Hard Card:
11. Clubs and Ball
(i) List of Conforming Driver Heads: Model Local Rule G-1 is in effect, except for all handicap events.

Obviously Handicap events probably won’t involve highly skilled players as per G-1 is aimed at, but does it mean players are still meant to use conforming clubs in handicap comps but the relevant comp organisers will not be checking their bags. o_O

Not sure what point you're making?

Everyone has to use confirming clubs. But for most of us, the onus is on us to ensure that the clubs we use are conforming (side point: not sure how we actually do that - I guess we do it on trust the the OEMs are making clubs to the conforming specification). But for some elite events, the organisers can use the local rule to restrict driver heads to those that the R&A/USGA have actually tested and approved as conforming. The England Golf hard card demonstrates it - in that any competition they organise which is non-handicap & therefore played off scratch, has the local rule in effect. But any handicap comps they organise are not using the local rule.

Us mere mortals playing in the monthly medal are not covered by the EG hard card, and are not (or shouldn't be) tied to the list of conforming drivers - but we still are required to use drivers that conform. But we have the "luxury" of being able use drivers that conform, but which may not have been tested as conforming.

If a club has been stated as non-conforming by the R&A, then no, you can't use it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
given that there is a significant population of recreational golfers who never play in official handicap comps, I can never understand why there isn't a more widespread use of non conforming clubs. Would probably make the game more fun for less accomplished players.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
given that there is a significant population of recreational golfers who never play in official handicap comps, I can never understand why there isn't a more widespread use of non conforming clubs. Would probably make the game more fun for less accomplished players.
I still use my N/C 10 year old Cobra on holiday when playing non qualifiers, BTBH i think the old magic has gone due to the latest technology.
But I would like to try it with one of the latest fitted shafts .

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure what point you're making?

Everyone has to use confirming clubs. But for most of us, the onus is on us to ensure that the clubs we use are conforming (side point: not sure how we actually do that - I guess we do it on trust the the OEMs are making clubs to the conforming specification). But for some elite events, the organisers can use the local rule to restrict driver heads to those that the R&A/USGA have actually tested and approved as conforming. The England Golf hard card demonstrates it - in that any competition they organise which is non-handicap & therefore played off scratch, has the local rule in effect. But any handicap comps they organise are not using the local rule.

Us mere mortals playing in the monthly medal are not covered by the EG hard card, and are not (or shouldn't be) tied to the list of conforming drivers - but we still are required to use drivers that conform. But we have the "luxury" of being able use drivers that conform, but which may not have been tested as conforming.

If a club has been stated as non-conforming by the R&A, then no, you can't use it.
I don’t believe a Driver can “conform” unless it is on the R&A/USPGA list of conforming Drivers, ie, if it’s not listed it doesn’t conform under the RoG.

I am confused as to why there needs to be a local rule when Rule 4 covers it, I’m hoping one of guys who Referee maybe able to give an insight.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t believe a Driver can “conform” unless it is on the R&A/USPGA list of conforming Drivers, ie, if it’s not listed it doesn’t conform under the RoG.

I am confused as to why there needs to be a local rule when Rule 4 covers it, I’m hoping one of guys who Referee maybe able to give an insight.
Ah, ok. I guess that's where we differ.

See attached image (a screen shot from the R&A website - couldn't copy it as text) . The Q&A certainly seems to suggest that a driver can conform without being on the list

Attachments

• R&A-Clubs .jpg
    R&A-Clubs .jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 6
D

Deleted member 16999

Ah, ok. I guess that's where we differ.

See attached image (a screen shot from the R&A website - couldn't copy it as text) . The Q&A certainly seems to suggest that a driver can conform without being on the list
Thanks for that, so I’m starting to believe that Rule 4 covers all conforming Drivers, the Local Rule would then go a little further by stating not only must it conform, but, must also be on the R&A list.
What the Local Rule doesn’t say is that if a Club doesn’t use the local rule G-1, it means players could use a non-conforming Driver in Club competitions. I think! o_O

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that, so I’m starting to believe that Rule 4 covers all conforming Drivers, the Local Rule would then go a little further by stating not only must it conform, but, must also be on the R&A list.
What the Local Rule doesn’t say is that if a Club doesn’t use the local rule G-1, it means players could use a non-conforming Driver in Club competitions. I think! o_O
Not really, no.

Rule 4 (4.1a to be more precise) says everyone must use conforming clubs - that applies to everyone, all the time. The local rule G1 just means that not only must the driver be conforming, it must also be on the list (ie as you say in your first sentence above). The local rule doesn't override or negate Rule 4

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it was disgraceful when they made certain clubs non conforming, especially for us h/c and older golfers.
I bought a King cobra 460 hi-core the year before they banned its use in comps.
I did gain a few badly needed yards using it.
Can i now use it again under local rule G-1 ????.

Imagine the uproar if they did something the same the same with 1 year old cars, sorry but you can't drive your year old car on motorways after next year, because the wheels are too big and they go too fast.:mad:

There was plenty of warning about the new rule coming in to force (more than a year from memory). Bit like square groove clubs where there was about a 3 year period before the new rule came in to force.

One of my mates took his club back and got a refund because he was sold a non conforming club too close to the new rule coming in.