Computor suggestions please and problem solving.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm sorry. I think you'll find it was you who piled in with abusive retorts substantiated by wild assumption.

I am not anti-Mac. I am a professional in the industry and understand the strengths and weaknesses of all platforms.

I am however, quite anti 'knee-jerk reactionaries who bang on about 'their' system and why it is the best and if you don't believe them they'll get their dads to duff you up'.

This does not assist the OP so unless you have something of value to add to his post, please desist from further mudslinging in my direction, unless you actually want to cogitate a coherent informed response for a change.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Getting back to the problem!

I've squeezed Registry Easy onto the computor to try and solve the issues and it's only given me about 1gb of space.

2 questions this time.

How do I remove program software from the laptops hard drive (C) to a portable hard drive? The idea being to free up laptop memory?

And secondly. What would happen if I uninstalled J2SE Runtime Environment updates and Java updates. As these are taking up a fair bit of space?

Though I think the conclusion ultimately is to get a new computor, but due to circumstances I really cannot wait until the end of October.

In which case. Do I go to Dell via their website, or to the unthinkable PCWorld?

Comments from some of the techies on here would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do I remove program software from the laptops hard drive (C) to a portable hard drive? The idea being to free up laptop memory?

Chances are all you need is an executable (.exe) file and save that. Alternatively, you could just download the latest version. But this will all be application dependent. To remove it, just use the add/remove programs function via the Control Panel.

And secondly. What would happen if I uninstalled J2SE Runtime Environment updates and Java updates. As these are taking up a fair bit of space?

Chances are that this would hamper your browsing and probably quite considerably, but then again you could live without it.

In which case. Do I go to Dell via their website, or to the unthinkable PCWorld?

Just because of what they do, please don't go to PCW, regardless of how tempting it might be. Imagine an evil version of American Golf and choosing to buy from them while your local pros go bust instead - you just wouldn't.

Nothing wrong with Dell, but don't be afraid to shop around on the internet. Bigpockets, ebuyer, scan - there are plenty of good options out there. As it happens I bought my last laptop from Tesco. They had plenty on display so I could actually get a proper idea of the machine and let's face it, it's about as safe as houses as far as taking something back goes. Have a think about what you want to do and then try and find a spec that meets it, rather than getting suckered in to buying more than you need. PCs last a lot longer than they are given credit for!

Hope this helps (unless you want me to tell you to go and buy something that is hugely over-priced and about style not fucntion and enormous customer service issues...but I suspect a Mac Fan will come along soon enough ;) )

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Well, thanks for everyone's (constructive) input.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a new Dell Studio 17 inch screen, 2.4ghz processor, 500GB hard drive,3GB RAM; I hope this means something. Oh, with Vista.

I recalled getting an early XP machine, crashed, lots. Same with the early Vista desktop at home. So I was a little cautious about having another new operating system (Windows 7) so soon after realease; plus I really cannot wait any longer as I cannot progress the business any further forward on this machine.

Plus a Passport 250GB external hard drive for back up data.

Now all I have to do is wait. Not too long I hope, as it could throw a spanner in the works.

Where did I put my WEP code for the wifi?? :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
I inherited this laptop from the workplace that I was made redundant from 6 months ago. All legit like. Consequently I don't have the OS, or even the MS Office software that all my files run off of.

Also being 5 years old, goddness knows what's on it hidden away deep in it's recesses.