Commonwealth Games

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only slight complaint I had about the Games was the quality of the DJs who were supposed to get the crowds going before each event. Unfortunately, someone had the bright idea of getting club DJs in who insisted on playing house music that no-one had heard of. Much better in my opinion to get in proper stadium DJs, or even cheesy wedding DJs :cool:who would play ABBA, Neil Diamond, etc and really get the crowd going with a good sing along. Instead, most people just sat chatting between themselves or just plain bored before the real entertainment started. That said, the atmosphere soon ramped up once the racing started :)

Bit like the closing ceremony. Started with a bang and some reggae and ska to get everyone dancing and singing and then a couple of "who" acts which dampened things down!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seemed to go by so quickly. 'Amazing, fantastic, incredible' just some words used to describe it.
Durban's loss was Birmingham's gain.
I hope the West Midlands gets a big tourism boost.

Apart from the crowds and competitors the 2 bulls (Perry and the raging bull) also turned out to be stars.
Perry the bull was designed by a girl, the raging bull was built in London, not from iron but aluminium and plastic.

A local historian stated that bulls were baited in Birmingham up until the nineteenth century, but there is little evidence for this.
Whatever, bull and bear baiting are long gone from England.
As will these games one day.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is really sad news if true

Always enjoy the commonwealth games , has a nice friendly atmosphere and produces some stars

I do hope it continues. Birmingham was great. I was slightly irked when I hear it on the news this morning and said "whoever takes it on should ban Australia" but then thought that was a tad churlish!!

D

Deleted member 15344

I do hope it continues. Birmingham was great. I was slightly irked when I hear it on the news this morning and said "whoever takes it on should ban Australia" but then thought that was a tad churlish!!

Very silly

If costs are rising as much as they are then it’s going to be hard for some places to host it

It doesn’t help when some of the biggest stars kept missing it

For some sports it’s a big competition-think golf was due to be in the next one as well

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There was a discussion on the radio earlier which said that Victoria had commissioned 7 purpose built temporary facilities spread around the state, rather than use existing facilities / stadiums

This has added dramatically to the cost

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

banning Aus may open a good opportunity for others to win some medals.

BTW, other than the Games (which are brilliant), what does the CW actually stand for or do?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always got the impression that Oz aren’t really into the Commonwealth Games as much as we are. Did I imagine empty seats at the last one over there or am I thinking of a different games 🤔

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

BTW, other than the Games (which are brilliant), what does the CW actually stand for or do?
It's a loose collection of countries, leaders meet every so often to discuss common interests. It isn't a trading bloc, it's more casual.

No more games, an end to the organisation, would be no great loss. It's time has come really.

D

Deleted member 15344

Couple of sounds bites

What does the Commonwealth do?​

The Commonwealth works on behalf of member countries to promote peace and prosperity. This includes helping countries with small business development, legislation, election monitoring, and human rights, particularly promoting the role and rights of young people and of women. There are a large number of organisations and networks under the umbrella of the Commonwealth that carry out and support this work.

I suspect it prob does a lot of small hidden work that will add value to a number of the smaller nations

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a loose collection of countries, leaders meet every so often to discuss common interests. It isn't a trading bloc, it's more casual.

No more games, an end to the organisation, would be no great loss. It's time has come really.

it harks back to the empire but the idea of a global Britian does not work anymore. I think we might have missed out on converting into a trading block. It has got India and Oz and Kiwis in it, could have easily have been a good bragging rights to a new Britain that is doing trade deals.

Otherwise no one really missing out on CW games except the athletes who are now robbed of a great platform

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a discussion on the radio earlier which said that Victoria had commissioned 7 purpose built temporary facilities spread around the state, rather than use existing facilities / stadiums

This has added dramatically to the cost
That seems like a silly thing to do these days.
There was talk about a permanent Olympic home (LA?) for just this reason. Even temporary facilities aren’t cheap anymore.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It will be hard for any government to justify funding for a games that is becoming irrelevant and will only last a few weeks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Outside of Melbourne and the immediate vicinity (so inc Geelong) there aren‘t that many large towns or small cities in Victoria - and few with a large population locally - hence I guess the idea of building temporary facilities across the state so that it isn‘t just a Melbourne Games.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
UK should shame Australia by holding the games again.
Strange how they ruled out Melbourne which already has most of the venues in place, and a fantastic city too.
I passed through other towns in Victoria once and they didn't look much.

The bull from the Birmingham ganes is now displayed on the concourse of New Street station, although it is fenced off at the moment.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
UK should shame Australia by holding the games again.
Strange how they ruled out Melbourne which already has most of the venues in place, and a fantastic city too.
I passed through other towns in Victoria once and they didn't look much.

The bull from the Birmingham ganes is now displayed on the concourse of New Street station, although it is fenced off at the moment.

The combined population of the main towns of Victoria don’t add up to one fifth of the population of Melbourne (5m), and from what I saw many are struggling economically - with Melbourne one side and Adelaide in S Australia the other being the economic draws for investment of southern Australia from Adelaide eastwards.