Cold weather and how it affects the golf ball.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dan Whittaker’s latest video here https://youtu.be/QuJfmR1IX38 aimed to test how temperature affects golf ball distance.

Basically got his numbers with trackman set up indoor mode (which is 21c) then went outside in 6c temperatures hitting into a slight wind of 3mph, and lost between 20-30 yards depending on strike. He said he would have absolute maximum called it 10 yards of wind, but probably less.

I thought it was a pretty good video to help understand that you probably need between 1-2 more clubs trying to play winter golf.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am always amazed that everybody talks about how temperature influences distance, but nobody talks about rain/moisture. From my experience, even light rain or mist can take way more distance off my carry (even off the tee, so ground conditions not coming into it) than cold but clear weather does. I am hitting the ball further at the moment (temperatures around freezing but crisp and clear) then I have all through autumn.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Listening to Justin Rose last night .
He recons in the thin air in Mexico the ball travels 10% further with woods and wedges But travels 17% with the mid irons !
He said because of the ball flight the thin air at altitude reacts this way.

Just wondering if there is a discrepancy like this in cold weather or not ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It was all to do with the amount of air time the ball has.
With mid irons, the ball tends to go higher so benefits more from the thin air..
I'm not sure we hit it hard enough or high enough to see that much variation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was all to do with the amount of air time the ball has.
With mid irons, the ball tends to go higher so benefits more from the thin air..
I'm not sure we hit it hard enough or high enough to see that much variation.
Not questioning your logic but if it’s about air time and height ,
Why do wedges not fly the same as irons they have more backspin than irons ?
Found that a bit confusing.

Imurg

Visit site

Certainly from a Pros perspective, they want wedges flying in lower so they tend not to go as high.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Wedges spin more which gives more lift. In basic aerodynamics more lift equals more drag which is probably one of the reasons wedges don't go as far as mid and long irons.

Also, when hitting from the rough you here pro's say they got a 'flyer', this means that the long grass causes the ball to spin less and so it travels further.

Probably more to it than this though when you factor in club lengths and lofts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago, with wound balls, Titleist said that you lost 2 yards with each degree drop under 20 degrees or thereabouts.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never cease to surprise me the number of players who don’t realise the ball will fly less in the cold or wet weather.
Winter match play is so much more fun:)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought Titelist actually published the figures for their ball and temperature.

Was either 1% per degree C or 1/2% per degree - I've always worked to the former and it works reasonably well for me.

Imurg

Visit site
I believe all balls are "calibrated" to perform at their best at 70°F
For every 3°F below that you lose 1 yard of distance purely down to the temperature.
So at 0°C or 32°F you would lose between 12 and 13 yards.
But there are other factors in the overall equation..

D

Deleted Member 1156

I believe all balls are "calibrated" to perform at their best at 70°F
For every 3°F below that you lose 1 yard of distance purely down to the temperature.
So at 0°C or 32°F you would lose between 12 and 13 yards.
But there are other factors in the overall equation..

Yes indeed, like being able to hit the ball consistently :thup:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched the below video last night, it may be marketing, but I think there is also an element of truth as well. He does talk about how the cold affects a ball and what you can do to help, also some interesting comments on the difference between 2 and 3 piece balls. Tis a bit long but it's interesting.

[video=youtube;qPsW482jvOM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPsW482jvOM[/video]

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I hit a drive about 30 yards and left on Saturday, I was sure I'd just duffed it but now I'm thinking it was just freezing weather and nothing to worry about!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Watched that Dean Snell vid before, really good and informative watch but his balls aren't that much cheaper, @£30 a doz it's the same price as chrome softs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dan Whittaker’s latest video here https://youtu.be/QuJfmR1IX38 aimed to test how temperature affects golf ball distance.

Basically got his numbers with trackman set up indoor mode (which is 21c) then went outside in 6c temperatures hitting into a slight wind of 3mph, and lost between 20-30 yards depending on strike. He said he would have absolute maximum called it 10 yards of wind, but probably less.

I thought it was a pretty good video to help understand that you probably need between 1-2 more clubs trying to play winter golf.

I watched this. When he didn't catch it well, even off a small tee, the drop off was significant and even when he flushed one it was still well done on the indoor numbers. I think most handicap golfers under club anyway and I'd argue that in the cold their drop off would be nearer 3-4 clubs difference