Club v pay and play

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've joined a club for the first time in my life after playing P&P for over 20 years.

At times I've really enjoyed the variety of playing holes for the first, and in some cases, only time. P&P has taught me more about how to read an unfamiliar hole but playing at the club, I now really plot my way around.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on the amount you will play, do you want competition golf or just knocking around?
Do you want to meet people or more introverted.
Do you want to be good, or happy just getting exercise?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swindles are when a group of mates get together and have an unofficial (non qualifying for handicap) competition.

They are very popular where I play, there are about 5 different groups on Saturday morning and 2-3 every weekday.

Reactions: OOB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It varies from club to club on how they deal with beginners. Some are very accommodating others see them as a nuisance. When I started, I use to play off peak with my dad as a pay and play until I felt capable of getting it round without holding too many people up and making a fool of myself and then I joined a club. I guess the OP needs to decide how much they'll play over the winter. If it's not a lot, then I'd suggest using the money you'd have paid on the green fees and improving over the winter ready to join a club in the spring

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Been offered a chance to go look around a local one, with membership being £29 a month until April, and then £44.50 a month for the year when their new membership starts then. Seems decent enough to me so I think I'll go have a look on my day off on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice guys 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wokefield Park would be my nearest one and if it works like most of these schemes you buy credits and redeem it each time you play, paying more for peak times. A lady at work's husband plays there on it and it seems to work ok

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toying with it following 6 months of illness, after 6 months of frozen shoulder, as a way of getting back.

If I can’t get back to playing a full round, then it’s not so much of a risk of a full years membership

The playmore system is coming out about £20 - 25 for a weekend round, which isn’t too bad

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Toying with it following 6 months of illness, after 6 months of frozen shoulder, as a way of getting back.

If I can’t get back to playing a full round, then it’s not so much of a risk of a full years membership

The playmore system is coming out about £20 - 25 for a weekend round, which isn’t too bad
How's the shoulder doing? You back playing yet. Where would you play if you went with Playmore or would you look at a similar scheme

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also dove in to membership. I took lessons and put some cards in. A member took me under her wing and her husband gave me some advice on the club as they were founding members.

Wasn’t long before I had a few regular footballs I dipped in and out of depending on space.

The quickest way into a club is to throw yourself in.

Now I have a small family, busy job and very little time I pay and play as I probably only do 6-8 full 18s a year. When I do get out it’s to the local par 3 early on a Sunday morning so I can be home for a late breakfast.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Don't over estimate the ability of everyone else at the club either.
I spent a whole winter on the range getting "good enough" to join a club when I first started. Watched the members going out every weekend while I was bashing balls.
Eventually I reckoned I was good enough.
Joined, put my cards in and got a 15 handicap - could have joined months before and wouldn't have been out of my depth.
Me too! It took me a couple of years to break 100, but then after that my scores started coming down very quickly. I eventually joined a club and ended being one of the better players!

One thing I was surprised about though was how many 'hackers' who had no real swing at all, could barely hit the ball 150 yards, and yet they still managed to break 100. That opened my eyes up to how important the short game is.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
How's the shoulder doing? You back playing yet. Where would you play if you went with Playmore or would you look at a similar scheme

Hi @HomerJSimpson
I played 9 holes on the simulator at Hennerton on Friday and that was the first in a year, went reasonably well once the tight muscles loosened up.
Which made me feel a bit more positive about rejoining and they have the playmoregolf scheme there.
My real issue unfortunately is the chronic fatigue that I’ve got as a result of a permanent illness/condition, and its highly debatable whether I can get round 9 holes let alone 18.
So that needs to be my next target : see if I can get round 9 or 18 in a buggy; then move on to a battery powered trolley and walking. If I can get to that point then I think I will rejoin

Thanks for asking :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi @HomerJSimpson
I played 9 holes on the simulator at Hennerton on Friday and that was the first in a year, went reasonably well once the tight muscles loosened up.
Which made me feel a bit more positive about rejoining and they have the playmoregolf scheme there.
My real issue unfortunately is the chronic fatigue that I’ve got as a result of a permanent illness/condition, and its highly debatable whether I can get round 9 holes let alone 18.
So that needs to be my next target : see if I can get round 9 or 18 in a buggy; then move on to a battery powered trolley and walking. If I can get to that point then I think I will rejoin

Thanks for asking :)
Sorry to hear that. Take it slowly and use the winter to build it up. Even if you get to a point of 18 in a buggy it'll be great to see you on a course again

jamiet7682

Visit site
I am currently debating exactly this.
Only been playing for 2 months, been mostly hitting the range but I've also had 4 lessons at Mearns Castle Golf Academy, sorted out my grip and the fundamentals of my swing.
Played the Par 3 at Brucefields, very short but with very small greens so a good test of the short game, I can get round here with a pretty respectable score, think I was about 5 over for 9 holes, I feel pretty comfortable from about 70 yards out (PW territory).
Playing the full length course is a different ball game as I have no distance (max out at about 140 yards with a driver) so ended up shooting 64 for 9 holes (Par 34).
Probably going to keep working on my swing and getting consistent with most clubs before I join a club, have Mearns Castle, Brucefields, Linn Park and Polkemmot that I can pay and play, if I am still playing regularly come April I will look to join a club, somewhere around southside of Glasgow, probably Cowglen.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are a couple of other considerations I would add in to the discussion
  • What time do you want to play? You can generally only pay & play at off peak times. A lot of clubs near me don’t allow this at peak times - early in the mornings on weekends for example.
  • What about practice? If you’re a member you can turn up at any time and use the short game area, putting green etc. Otherwise you need to go a driving range and pay for the privilege. You can practice in your back garden I suppose though many might be hampered by space.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Yeah the access to a practice area is a very good point, I have probably spent about £80 each month so far on gaining access to courses, practices areas and the range so financially a membership would probably make sense, just don't want to commit yet, if I get through the winter and still have the bug I will go for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good club for a beginner in the Southside of Glasgow or thereabouts?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similarly to the OP, I’ve been playing on and off for 20 years, went many years without playing at all and more recently I’ve averaged maybe 10 rounds a year, always p&p.

Really got the bug this year, my job has changed and kids don’t want to spend as much time with dad, giving me much more free time which has allowed me to play more than usual and so I’ve just joined my local club, or should I say 2 clubs for the price of one.

Anyway, I joined because I want to improve and play in comps, I much prefer a competitive round than purely friendly. I don’t know anyone at the club, so at the minute I feel like a kid on the first day at a new school! I’ve had a chat with the captain about how to get my handicap sorted, play in comps etc and the club say they’ll hook me up into some roll ups when I’m ready. Chomping at the bit now!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Yeah the access to a practice area is a very good point, I have probably spent about £80 each month so far on gaining access to courses, practices areas and the range so financially a membership would probably make sense, just don't want to commit yet, if I get through the winter and still have the bug I will go for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good club for a beginner in the Southside of Glasgow or thereabouts?

You might get some deals running to join this time of year. Our course generally does deals to get some funds in over the winter with the expectation you join fulltime next year. I would email the secretary’s of the courses near you asking to play and if anyone fancied taking you round, if their replies aren’t great I would be put off them. Most clubs I played when I was learning you’d get the odd person who wasn’t great but most couldn’t wait to impart knowledge etc on.

Don’t fear others just get out and find a course and club you like and join. You’ll meet plenty of people there if you don’t know anyone