Club Release

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you notice the club actually squares itself if you turn properly, no rolling the wrists/arms etc.
hope that helps :thup:

Just watched the video you embedded, couldn't do it at work, and the shoulder going up brings back memories, all bad ones at that, but the video does make sense and I now have 38 things to think about now :mmm:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont think that you ought to think about this. If you hold the club correctly and you do not have too much grip tension or tension in the arms, then this action should be automatic.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont think that you ought to think about this. If you hold the club correctly and you do not have too much grip tension or tension in the arms, then this action should be automatic.

That's pretty much the picture that has been painted in the replies. I am trying to get rid of the stranglers grip, its just finding the fine line between gripping the club, feeling comfortable and not worrying about losing to much control. I'll get there eventually

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You shouldn't have to think about releasing the hands/rolling the wrists or anything else.
As James said, the clubhead should not be vertical in the backswing but toe down.
If it is vertical, you've opened the face.

View attachment 1760

Bobmac, there is more than one way to skin a cat right?

I mean I've read some top coaches advocate that the leading edge of the club should be vertical at the same point above.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bobmac, there is more than one way to skin a cat right?

I mean I've read some top coaches advocate that the leading edge of the club should be vertical at the same point above.

It's the backswing.
You can do what you want on the backswing
It's the downswing that counts.
However, if you get something wrong on the backswing, you have to fix it either in the transition or the downswing.
Keep everything neutral in the backswing simplifies everything and means no adjustments are required in the transition or downswing.
If you look at the line on the clubface and compare it to the angle of Luke's body, I'd say that's square

Luke 1.jpg

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I completely agree with what Bob and JustOne have said. The clubface should be pointing at the same angle as your spine forward tilt at the halfway back position. This keeps it perfectly square to the swingpath.

As Bob says you can do what you wish with it but if it gets off plane and out of square in the backswing then you will have to make compensations on the way down and this is not good. Keep the clubface sitting square to the swingpath as long as possible.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
So two nights this week so far at the driving range and for the most part the irons at going straight or at the very least for my level straight enough so as not to have to worry about the rough. Happy with that for the time being.

However, my driver, I just cannot get that to go straight. Prior to my last lesson it was going straight, but now it's the big slice again. The only thing that has changed is my grip has been tweaked.

How do I get my driver to go straight?

THree things tend to happen with me:-

1 - My shoulders spin out to early and I pull hook, easy fix and I know what i need to do to remedy that, to the point that this is become a rarity rather than a common event.

2 - I don't get my weight onto my left side and end up leaning back and it's a huge slice, again easy fix and I know what to do to sort that out.

3 - I don't spin out and I get my weight over onto my left but my right hand is under and I suppose behind at impact, thus an open face and yet another slice.

It's starting to drive me nuts.

Every other point my teacher has told me to do, I grasped within the same lesson to the point he even said that I'm picking up the instruction very quick, yet I cannot stop slicing. :(

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You slice because your swingpath is left of the direction your clubface points at impact. Now this may be due to you having the clubface open or it maybe that you are swinging out to in, or both.

In what direction does the ball initially take off ?

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are having lessons your pro should be able to identify exactly what is wrong if the basic fundamentals and grip are correct.

If you go to the range put two clubs down forming a cross to ensure that you are square and that the ball is just inside the left foot in the correct position teed up at the correct height.

As you address the ball and set yourself up make sure your spine angle is tilted very slightly to the right so that your head is behind the ball and the majority of your weight is on your back foot with your right leg braced. Now check to ensure you right shoulder is tucked back and not leaning inwards toward the ball and then start your take away low and slow making sure the club travels in a straight line for the first few inches.

The shoulder part is very important because one of the biggest faults for slicers, is to bring the right shoulder forward so that it is pointing at the ball, in an effort to hit it right however all this does is create an exadgerated out to in swing as you are effectively forced to swing around the shoulder rather than though the inside which is what you do when the shoulder is cleared, (if your shoulders are square and correctly alligned with the rest of your body it is not an issue however most of us think our shoulder, feet and hips are correctly alligned when in fact they are at odds with each other).

Keep your hips quiet during the back swing bracing against the right leg will help you retain balance and accuracy in addition to creating coil tension in the swing when you release from the top. If you keep you head still and behind the ball before the point of impact, because you have cleared you right shoulder you will swing through on an inside/neutral swing path which will ensure that the club is square at impact.

It may take a while to get used to it and as long as you don't try to force the swing from the start you should find your ball going a lot straighter. Once you get used to swinging on the inside you will then start to build confidence, swing speed and distance.

Setting up how I have described may not be text book style but it doe address many of the common issues faced by slicers.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The points you mention are some of the points my teacher has told me. I was addressing the ball with my shoulders pointing left of target, or as you put with the right should pointing at the ball, that issue is sorted now and is part of my routine marking sure my shoulders are lined up.

My head moving all over the place was another, partly because I had my chin on my chest, trying to not to move it in the classic keep yoor head down scenario everyone gets told. THe result of that was on the back swing me head would move right to make room for my shoulder, again issue fixed.

I'm at the driving range tomorrow before I play on Friday, ther are a lot of things whihc people have suggested in this thread, some of which I'm already doing, some of which I may try, but if the worst comes to the worst I'll just use my 3 metal off the tee which I know I can hit straight.

Cheers
Dave

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the lessons I have had I can safely say my swing path is in to out as near as dammed on the same swing plane as my back swing.

The ball starts straight for the first half of it's flight then bends right

If this is your ball flight then your clubface is square to target and your swingpath is to the left (Out to in).
You need to attack the ball more on its inside quadrant.