Club knockout ties not played!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the Foursomes knockouts at my other club, but the other round to see who plays us has still not been played. closing date was 16th June, they got and extension for 3 days to play, but have still not done so. the deadline for the next round to be played is the 15th July so that only really gives us two weeks to play, but my PP is away on holiday next week so unless we play by Thursday thats it. Club don't appear to be doing anything!!!!

What happens at your clubs for this sort of thing??
at Nairn both would Be DQ and we would be through, but this doesn't appear to be what happens at the other club

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At our place.

When a draw is done. The first person to write down their phone number gives 3 dates that suit. If no contact is made or match not played then the guy who wrote down his number goes through.

mister v

Visit site
sorry to hear that the club is doing nothing, in my opinion the pairs that you could play have had a deadline and an extension, they've missed both ! unless one of the pairs has been trying really hard to arrange the game only to be met with endless "i cant do that date" then in my opinion they should be DQ and allow you to move on.....
I think at some stage or another every club golfer who tries to partcipate in club comps has come up against opposition that can only play on one afternoon in the whole of the month!
Keep us posted on the out come and good luck to you

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea what my club does. The deadline for our knockout pairs was June 17th, but they haven't posted the results or the next round yet so I've no idea if everyone made the deadline or not. :LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No extensions for anyone other than for 'serious' medical reasons.

Match not played by specified date then both sides DQ'd. No naming and shaming by the club - but this should make the side culpable ashamed of what has happened - that they got the other side DQ'd - and hopefully ensure they don't do it again.

I say should because, unfortunately, these days too many members of clubs view their membership as being there to accommodate what they want and their needs, and don't feel a great sense of responsibility or respect to other members; a competition; the course or indeed the club. I am fortunate to be a member of a club where this attitude is pretty thinly spread - but it is there in some nonetheless.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
DQ at our place. When I was on handicap there were still three ties that hadn't been played almost a week after the deadline and nobody had contacted me. As the organiser my name and phone number was at the top of the draw sheet. I just wrote DQ against each tie that hadn't been played. They had been given a month to arrange their match, hadn't tried to communicate with me so, out they went.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No extensions for anyone other than for 'serious' medical reasons.

Match not played by specified date then both sides DQ'd. No naming and shaming by the club - but this should make the side culpable ashamed of what has happened - that they got the other side DQ'd - and hopefully ensure they don't do it again.

I say should because, unfortunately, these days too many members of clubs view their membership as being there to accommodate what they want and their needs, and don't feel a great sense of responsibility or respect to other members; a competition; the course or indeed the club. I am fortunate to be a member of a club where this attitude is pretty thinly spread - but it is there in some nonetheless.
So if one party has jumped through hoops trying to get it played and hit a brick wall with their opponent with everything shot down - both parties still get DQed? That's hardly fair is it?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
DQ at our place. When I was on handicap there were still three ties that hadn't been played almost a week after the deadline and nobody had contacted me. As the organiser my name and phone number was at the top of the draw sheet. I just wrote DQ against each tie that hadn't been played. They had been given a month to arrange their match, hadn't tried to communicate with me so, out they went.

Correct way to do it.

Some people can just be downright awkward when trying to arrange ties.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am amazed at how slow people are to respond to messages and provide alternative dates.

Messaged someone last week for a 4 ball tie - bearing in mind we have to coordinate 4 peoples diaries within a 3 week window and most weekends are being taken up with competitions etc. Plus obviously people are in other singles and pairs competitions etc.

Asked about availability 3 nights, 9th to 11th July. Got a 1 line reply saying sorry away 9th to the 15th.
No effort to offer alternative dates or move anything forward. No desire to get things organised early so you have an outside chance of potentially rearranging if you get rained off etc.

What do some people expect is going to happen?

This is the 1st time I've played any doubles competitions and while I don't mind being the one who does a bit of running about, checks the club diary and puts together a number of possible dates I'm astounded at how little effort people put into it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I am amazed at how slow people are to respond to messages and provide alternative dates.

Messaged someone last week for a 4 ball tie - bearing in mind we have to coordinate 4 peoples diaries within a 3 week window and most weekends are being taken up with competitions etc. Plus obviously people are in other singles and pairs competitions etc.

Asked about availability 3 nights, 9th to 11th July. Got a 1 line reply saying sorry away 9th to the 15th.
No effort to offer alternative dates or move anything forward. No desire to get things organised early so you have an outside chance of potentially rearranging if you get rained off etc.

This is the 1st time I've played any doubles competitions and while I don't mind being the one who does a bit of running about, checks the club diary and puts together a number of possible dates I'm astounded at how little effort people put into it.
I feel your pain. This is why it's important to try to make arrangements as early as possible, especially now we are in the holiday season. Give them the least excuse for not playing. One thing I can suggest is when you send dates to someone, add at the end "if these dates are not suitable, can you suggest some when you would be available". Put the ball back in their court.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Had similar experience for my first round pairs match. We outlined all the dates we would be available from the start, and stuck to them throughout. The other tentatively chose dates, then were no longer available when they rolled around. I ended up taking a Friday afternoon off work to play it two days before the deadline, just because it was easy for me to do so, but if I hadn't have been able to do that we'd have had to ask for an extension.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Last round, guy hadn't put his number on the board. Took a fair while to track it down, & then he was away a few days before deadline but we managed to fit in.
This round have been able to contact earlier but dates looking good so far would be dependant on me driving to an area other side of course to give him a lift! Undecided how I feel about this.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last round, guy hadn't put his number on the board. Took a fair while to track it down, & then he was away a few days before deadline but we managed to fit in.
This round have been able to contact earlier but dates looking good so far would be dependant on me driving to an area other side of course to give him a lift! Undecided how I feel about this.

He's expecting you to go and pick him up????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if one party has jumped through hoops trying to get it played and hit a brick wall with their opponent with everything shot down - both parties still get DQed? That's hardly fair is it?

That's the gist of it. Harsh - yes. Too many requests going in with excuses, this that and the other - anger, disputes and confusion. Both sides DQ'd and the ones responsible will get short shrift when trying to explain and/or apologise to the side not responsible...and hopefully they won;t transgress in the future. Besides - it's actually the deterrence aspect of both being DQ'd that hopefully minimises messing about by one side or the other and the risk of double DQ.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the gist of it. Harsh - yes. Too many requests going in with excuses, this that and the other - anger, disputes and confusion. Both sides DQ'd and the ones responsible will get short shrift when trying to explain and/or apologise to the side not responsible...and hopefully they won;t transgress in the future. Besides - it's actually the deterrence aspect of both being DQ'd that hopefully minimises messing about by one side or the other and the risk of double DQ.
I wouldn't be standing for that at all. All the arranging I did for matches was via email so I had concrete evidence of the effort I'd gone to to arrange it, just in case worse came to worse. If I ended up DQ because the opponent couldn't be accommodating I'd be absolutely furious. I think that's a ridiculous policy. Unless neither side explains to the committee why it hasn't been played of course, then both sides are culpable obviously.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
We judge both are out but also fine anyone who's match is not played (singles or pairs).

We have a match referee who decides if people have made an effort or not, Who goes through and who is at fault if the match is not played.

He is also available to contact if your having problems with the opposition.