Club knockout ties not played!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wonder why clubs aren't taking advantage of promoting playing the matches during the weekend strokeplay comps
Surely this would open up loads more dates as options

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm still trying to get my head round one of the guys we are playing in the "Midweek Pairs" stating he can only play at weekends. As Al Murray said "the clue's in the title"

Dannyc

Visit site
Both out at our course no messing about
If your having problems arranging the game the last option is be on the tee at 6pm on the last date if just u are there u go through
To be fair it does not happen much everyone gets there games in or just gives it the opponent if u can’t make it

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wonder why clubs aren't taking advantage of promoting playing the matches during the weekend strokeplay comps
Surely this would open up loads more dates as options
You can’t play a match play at the same time as a stroke play comp. It’s one or other.

For our knockouts, we used to have a policy of first name was responsible for making contact and arrangements, but now it’s a joint responsibility and both are out it not played by the stated time. That’s the way it should be, and TBH if you can’t make the date then tough...you knew the comp was date dependant when you put your name up so deal with it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At most clubs I've been a member of the top of the draw gives a minimum of 3 dates. Any matches still not played after the closing date saw both players/pairs DQ'd.

As a past Chair of Comps/handicaps I had a number of players come to me, after the date, and either complain that the opposition had not given 3 dates or not replied to messages or could they have an extension. My answer was always the same. If you'd come to me a week before the closing date I could have tried to 'broker a deal.' I never gave an extension, apart for extreme weather around the closing date, as I felt it was unfair on the subsequent matches.

Everyone knew the rules before entry, and they were posted next to the draw.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Both out at our course no messing about
If your having problems arranging the game the last option is be on the tee at 6pm on the last date if just u are there u go through
To be fair it does not happen much everyone gets there games in or just gives it the opponent if u can’t make it

Likewise our policy. And it's only a fairly recent change. There was just too much they said, they didn't say, we contacted, they didn't get back stuff. The comp organiser and committee were too often having to act as judge and jury on such things. Since we brought i the 'both DQ'd' policy I think things have improved. Must ask.

badgergm

Visit site
You can’t play a match play at the same time as a stroke play comp. It’s one or other.

For our knockouts, we used to have a policy of first name was responsible for making contact and arrangements, but now it’s a joint responsibility and both are out it not played by the stated time. That’s the way it should be, and TBH if you can’t make the date then tough...you knew the comp was date dependant when you put your name up so deal with it.

This is no longer true. If committee are agreeable, then you can do both. The change doesn't seem to be widely known, but seems a good one to me. Can have all sorts of debates about difficult situations etc, but for a club match seems like a very good last resort to me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is no longer true. If committee are agreeable, then you can do both. The change doesn't seem to be widely known, but seems a good one to me. Can have all sorts of debates about difficult situations etc, but for a club match seems like a very good last resort to me.
When was this changed then?
If it is changed, committee's might agree to it, but me as someone in a match wont, how can I concede a putt of one half of my opposition if they say "Im doing a card"?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could you quote the relevant rule please?

I don't know that this has changed, so I think that if it were the case we have to be careful not to spread myths and quote the actual rulings. They are still 2 separate forms of golf so I'd be surprised if this changed.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rule 21.5/1 states that a Player may compete in Multiple Stroke-Play Formats at the same time.

Is goes on to state these include stroke play, stableford, maximum score and Par/Bogey.

This doesn't include match play, which leads me to believe that nothing has changed and you cannot infact play a match play match during a normal weekend competition round.

badgergm

Visit site
When was this changed then?
If it is changed, committee's might agree to it, but me as someone in a match wont, how can I concede a putt of one half of my opposition if they say "Im doing a card"?

Not sure of the scenario - is this where you ant to concede a putt so that line not given to other player? Agree that some scenarios where it is not ideal. But those are relatively rare. Especially in singles. As I say it seems a good last resort to me, and better than not playing at all or tossing a coin.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Likewise our policy. And it's only a fairly recent change. There was just too much they said, they didn't say, we contacted, they didn't get back stuff. The comp organiser and committee were too often having to act as judge and jury on such things. Since we brought i the 'both DQ'd' policy I think things have improved. Must ask.

I asked our Golf manager this afternoon. It is not a recent change - both players being DQ'd if match not played by the date posted. He said that he cannot remember last time this happened. He occasionally gets asked to intervene due to lack of response b one layer or side - but this year that has only happened two or three times through - and it has been very busy with the early rounds of comps. He finds that immediately he contacts the 'hard to contact' they either jump into action and agree a date very quickly or concede. We also have a general rule of entry that says all player entering a competition must be available throughout the duration of the competition (not sure how that is defined in any detail but we kinda know what it means - e.g don't enter a comp if you know you will not be available for 4 weeks in a period you can see that there is say 5 weeks between 'to be played by' dates.