Cleveland Smart Sole C(hipper)

Klimski

Visit site
Got the C wedge with the 4.0 edition smart sole (or words to that effect). Like the concept and it kind of works with one major caveat: the club is way too short for me. I play a 36 inch putter, my 8 iron is 36,75 inch, wedge is 36 inch...and here I have the C wedge at 34 inch. This led to me knifing longer chips, and the club not really working on fuller shots. So, as it hasn't managed to squeeze out my pitching wedge it has been relegated to the shed. However, always one to tinker: I will lengthen the club to 36 inch if possible and report back. Because when struck well, it really is a great approach club.

Tallballer

Visit site
Got the C wedge with the 4.0 edition smart sole (or words to that effect). Like the concept and it kind of works with one major caveat: the club is way too short for me. I play a 36 inch putter, my 8 iron is 36,75 inch, wedge is 36 inch...and here I have the C wedge at 34 inch. This led to me knifing longer chips, and the club not really working on fuller shots. So, as it hasn't managed to squeeze out my pitching wedge it has been relegated to the shed. However, always one to tinker: I will lengthen the club to 36 inch if possible and report back. Because when struck well, it really is a great approach club.

Did you ever lengthen the club as I have the same issue?

Klimski

Visit site
Hi Tallballer, I haven't yet, as I have given the club to my father in law for the time being. He's struggling with the chipping yips and is banking on this club helping him out. He's quite a bit shorter than I am, and putts with a 34 inch putter - so it should be a better fit. If he does return it, I will be lengthening it and updating how I get on with it. I am pretty sure that it will be a great improvement. If one looks into the new Ping Chipr - that club is about 35 inch in length which seems eminently more reasonable

Klimski

Visit site
I think the thinking behind the shorter shaft is for when players go down the shaft.
It gives a bit more control over the shot.
Making it longer might affect this concept.
Just my opinion I might be wrong.

No, I agree that that's probably the intention. But I am a bit taller and gifted with a bad back, which explains why I have a 36 inch putter - and need the Chipper to be longer than 34 inch. Making it longer is a reversible solution anyway, so if it doesn't work, no harm done

Klimski

Visit site
It's right handed, but I am located in The Netherlands... At the moment I am waiting for my preferred Golf Pride grip to come in....and it's awful weather haha

Klimski

Visit site
Just a wee update: finally regripped. And the chipper has ousted my PW from the bag. Full and half shots are delightful with great feel. Strangely I am still getting to grips with the actual chipping hehe. Bit unpredictable, sometimes the ball grabs the green and ends up short. Sometimes it rolls a bit too much. But it's earned a spot in the bag for my upcoming Cornwall tour.

Klimski

Visit site
So here's my final contribution to this post: on tour, the Chipper proved much of a mixed blessing. Really, really like it on full shots, and even those halfway shots (50yds ish) - just put it a bit further in the stance to add some loft. BUT: actually chipping with it is very strange. If hit softly with a putting stroke, it pops up nicely but actually grabs the green and doesn't really roll out. Hit just slightly harder, there's no grab, and it releases. So I ended up either way short of the hole or way past the hole. Then, I decided to use it with a classic pitching stroke (instead of a putting stroke) and that worked pretty well. So, a mixed bag. I will be practising more with it, because I would like to keep it in the bag, but it has to earn its place!