Clean club face

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are there any limitations on how u can clean a clubface during a round?

I was pulled up by one of my group yesterday, bu want to confirm he was pulling my leg!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What did they say?

I use the standard club cleaning tools found in any pro shot to ensure my grooves and face are clean and I use a towel to make sure the club is dry.

What else can you do?

I think the only thing you cannot do is clean a club in a pond if your ball lies in that pond for your next shot

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The face had a little dry mud on it, so I used a spit & towel combination.

He is a wind up merchant though.

p.s. Hope his doesn't get into a "spitting has no place in sport" thread

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a wee Masters wire and nylon brush in between shots. Its not the sort of thing you carry in your pocket coz it will rip the leg off of you.

brush.png

At £3 or so its value for money.

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
I just use the sharp point of the golf tee to clean the groves, then wipe with a towel after. does the job for me and its free.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of the above are legal so I think he is winding you up. Worth checking still mind you. Always good so you never worry during that once in a lifetime medal round!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds perfectly legal to me. Probably the the guy has mis-applied rule 4-2

Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material

a. Playing Characteristics Changed
During a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means.

b. Foreign Material
Foreign material must not be applied to the club face for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball.
*PENALTY FOR CARRYING, BUT NOT MAKING STROKE WITH, CLUB OR CLUBS IN BREACH OF RULE 4-1 or 4-2:

Match play – At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round – Two holes.

Stroke play – Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round – Four strokes.

Also decision 4-2/4

A player spat on the face of his club and did not wipe the saliva off before playing his next stroke. Is this permissible?

If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball, the player was in breach of Rule 4-2b as saliva is “foreign material”.

Have vague memories that back in the 70's a pro was penalised for spitting on the face of his driver before hitting it to reduce spin.

You were cleaning your club not trying to change it and you wiped it off. No problems.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think he's on the wind up. I found that playing from wet rough most of the round meant there was plenty of water on the face and they just needed a wipe dry to clean them today. Much easier than all this playing off the fairway lark with divots and mud ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I use a tee, as i take nice juicy divots, which clog up my newish grooves. Could do with a small brush though, so may nick one of HID's nail brushes. ;)