Classic final rounds

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two legendary rounds from an earlier time:

Arnold Palmer's 65 to win the 1960 US Open at Cherry Hills from 7 behind, including 6 birdies in the first 7 holes.

Johnny Miller's 63 to win the 1973 US Open at Oakmont, in which he hit all 18 greens in reguation

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Arnold Palmer's 65 to win the 1960 US Open at Cherry Hills from 7 behind, including 6 birdies in the first 7 holes.

Johnny Miller's 63 to win the 1973 US Open at Oakmont, in which he hit all 18 greens in reguation
If you have a link for the latter, I'd love to see if. Miller gets a load of stick for referring to if, but it's one of the great rounds

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Few belters. Stenson/Mickleson which formed part of my weekend viewing
Woods and Rocco Mediate? where Tiger got it done on one leg
Seve at St Andrews and that putt and fist pump on the 18th
Faldo and his 18 pars
Mickleson and Rose going toe to toe in the RC
Watson and Nicklaus at Pebble Beach where Tom chips in and does a jig (also the front cover of a short game book he wrote and I had once - no idea where that went)

D

Deleted member 21258

Watson at Turnberry 2009, it was heart wrenching to watch. Great watch tho.

Shame he didn't win, but his interview sometime afterwards and his outlook towards it, was fantastic.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Slazenger later produced a set of irons based on the 1940s set of MacGregor Tommy Armour 915Ts that Miller used that year, they were called the J63M, as shown below.
https://www.golf.com/equipment/johnny-miller-1973-us-open-golf-equipment-macgregor-wilson

I've got a spare set of the Slazengers, 3 to 9 irons, yours for £60 plus carriage.

1585770595503.png

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
89 open at royal troon, Norman birdied the first 6, drove it into right hand fairway trap at the last. Calcaveccia the victor. Another of Norman's unlucky days in a major ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Slazenger later produced a set of irons based on the 1940s set of MacGregor Tommy Armour 915Ts that Miller used that year, they were called the J63M, as shown below.
https://www.golf.com/equipment/johnny-miller-1973-us-open-golf-equipment-macgregor-wilson

I've got a spare set of the Slazengers, 3 to 9 irons, yours for £60 plus carriage.

View attachment 29608

oh, I had a set of them. Millar had a real purple patch around them. I remember him finishing one comp with a 61, and winning, then starting the next comp with a 61.