Classic final rounds

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After listening to the ‘shotgun start’ podcast about Woosie’s career, I decided to watch the final round of the 91 Masters on YouTube, and really enjoyed it. What a great final day that was, 6-7 players all with a shout in the last hour or so of play, Woosie hitting his wooden driver 280, heckling from the crowd, it had everything!

What other final days would you recommend watching again? Not necessarily from the Masters, although I’ll probably watch the Willett win again soon, memory’s a bit blurred as I was so wrapped up in it at the time!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I like Spieth but his meltdown at The Masters was incredible to watch. After the front 9, it looked like it was just going to be another procession for him like the year before.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like Spieth but his meltdown at The Masters was incredible to watch. After the front 9, it looked like it was just going to be another procession for him like the year before.

That’s why I’m going to watch it again, it all happened so quickly and I remember not quite knowing what was going on, can’t imagine how Willett felt, his head must’ve been spinning! My head goes if I have a makeable birdie putt!

D

Deleted member 23270

There was a fantastic RC singles match between Mickelson and someone else a few years ago.....Garcia/Rose? Think they had something like 19 birdies between them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Henrik Stenson so his ding dong battle to win the Open against Mickelson wins it for me. The quality that day was exceptional, both played superbly.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

can't stand him .... i have the timestamp of the meltdown on the youtube video of that years final coverage bookmarked :D

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has to be Medinah for me.... It had absolutely everything, just the energy, the Seve emblem on the sleeve, Jose-Maria being captain, Mickleson clapping Rose, Kaymers putt, right down to Tiger giving the putt in the last game....

I can’t seem to find this on YouTube unfortunately, just the highlights. Shame.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
can't stand him .... i have the timestamp of the meltdown on the youtube video of that years final coverage bookmarked :D
I remember watching this, and (to my shame) it absolutely made my evening.
It was a combination of the septics being so convinced he was the second coming, and that my mate used to beat me with a Speithian combination of chipping and putting.

D

Deleted member 1418

Seve vs Nick Price at the 88 Open, Royal Lytham. The final round had to take place on the Monday due to the weather over the weekend and the pair traded birdies and eagles all day. Faldo was actually in the hunt too and was in the final group with both Seve and Price but was quickly out of the running.

Seve's 2nd to the 16th to put him ahead, and then his chip shot 3rd at the 18th were both sublime.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Slightly left field, but I really enjoyed 2000 US PGA when Woods beat Bob May in a play off. May played a superb final round, never backed down, and not intimidated by Woods. This was Woods at his very best, and on the 18th he had a six footer to get in a play off. Woods putt was definitely pushed,but some how found the bottom of the cup. Of course he won the play off.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The masters re-runs are fantastic on Youtube - i watched the Woosnam one, Faldo vs Norman and the Larry Mize win which is awesome to see the built-up to his victory. The Open Championship last days are great too, amazing how well everyone played with wooden headed drivers and simple blade putters!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally another +1 for Stenson v Mickelson. A fantastic display of golf.

Also really enjoyed, and remember watching, live Justin Rose winning the US Open and Adam Scott winning the Masters.

Rose played really well, hit an incredible shot into 18 - which was a brutal par 4. Mickelson was a few holes behind him and Rose managed to post enough of a score to put him under enough pressure. At the time, I felt it was Rose's time and he fully deserved to win a major. Remember vividly that Rose was playing with Luke Donald and Luke really tried to congratulate him but Rose wanted to play it down a bit - although I think he knew he'd gotten to the number.

And Adam Scott, again, with a similar feeling that his career had built to a level that he deserved to win. Holed an incredible putt on the 72nd hole, with Angel Cabrerra standing watching on the fairway behind him. A strange late afternoon drizzle with a dullness we don't associate with Masters Sundays, but Cabrerra stiffing an incredible iron to force the play-off, and then being so gracious to Scott, and genuinely happy, when he won on the 10th green.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seve vs Nick Price at the 88 Open, Royal Lytham. The final round had to take place on the Monday due to the weather over the weekend and the pair traded birdies and eagles all day. Faldo was actually in the hunt too and was in the final group with both Seve and Price but was quickly out of the running.

Seve's 2nd to the 16th to put him ahead, and then his chip shot 3rd at the 18th were both sublime.

Yes. A load of us sat in the clubhouse watching it on that Monday. I was really glad at the time that I only worked Monday evenings.

I always remember the look on Seve's face when the chip did not go in and how quickly it was replaced with a smile when he realised it did not matter.