Choosing which Golf Ball to use?

Prodavid116

Visit site
So been playing a lot of rounds and really getting into now and apart from having a bad day, im generally hitting some good iron shots etc... been using lake balls but now want to progress to start using Brand New balls and more importantly the same ball over and over again to just maintain consistency and will also help me concentrate more as i will not want to lose them. So im trying to workout out which to go with im only losing 1-2 balls a round if not any sometimes my favourite brands are Titleist and Taylor Made i know Taylor Made do the TPX5 box which includes 48. Note ( I will still keep my lakeballs on me just in case im having a bad day).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Srixon AD333 is a perfectly adequate mid range ball. They can be had quite cheap new if you look for deals.

Alternatively, there are some bargains to be had on second hand balls. Check out Facebook selling pages.
I've bought a few lots of one seller and many of the balls could pass for new.
Not sure about the forum rules on sharing selling pages. PM me if you want and I'll share the page of the guy I've bought from.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You don't see them all that often but keep an eye out for " Practice" ProV1s
Either a slight discolouration or blemish or dodgy print but perfect otherwise.
And legal to use...for about 25 quid a dozen or less..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not too bothered about cost as long as I’m confident I won’t lose many but I guess you can never be sure on that

All of the premium balls are very much of a muchness with just little differences between them which then comes down to personal choice of how they suit your game and what you think about them.

e.g. for me I prefer the Prov1 to the Prov1x but the specs say I should be playing the X

Price is not necessary an indicator of the balls qualities e.g I play the Dunlop DP1 V3 as one of my balls of choice.

My last buys were Srixon Q star Tours.

Previously I have used Srixon Z star, Bridgestone B330 RX and RXS as a main ball.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm a ProV1 fan too. I've tried several over the years and keep coming back. If cost isn't a big factor, I'd stick with them. You can save a couple of bucks (or Euros) if you look for previous years models. They don't change that much from year to year. Although I've found the 2021 model seems a wee bit longer off the tee than the 2019 model. Also, I've heard some of the newer "boutique" brands (Snell, Vice etc) are really good too and are cheaper since they're sold only online.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I’m sure hotgolf were advertising these recently

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Just had an email from hotgolf £19.99 a Dozen

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So been playing a lot of rounds and really getting into now and apart from having a bad day, im generally hitting some good iron shots etc... been using lake balls but now want to progress to start using Brand New balls and more importantly the same ball over and over again to just maintain consistency and will also help me concentrate more as i will not want to lose them. So im trying to workout out which to go with im only losing 1-2 balls a round if not any sometimes my favourite brands are Titleist and Taylor Made i know Taylor Made do the TPX5 box which includes 48. Note ( I will still keep my lakeballs on me just in case im having a bad day).
Lake Balls are (99.9%) fine! And a lot cheaper then brand new ones. Thet are also a great way to find 'your' preferred ball. IMO, brand new balls are generally priced at a considerable premium - compared to equivalent performing lake balls. So my recommendation is that you continue to purchase a variety of Lake Balls until you find 'your preferred' style, then purchase more Lake Balls of that label! It's precisely what I have done - and the result wasn't Prov1s!

Treeman42069

Visit site
Lake Balls are (99.9%) fine! And a lot cheaper then brand new ones. Thet are also a great way to find 'your' preferred ball. IMO, brand new balls are generally priced at a considerable premium - compared to equivalent performing lake balls. So my recommendation is that you continue to purchase a variety of Lake Balls until you find 'your preferred' style, then purchase more Lake Balls of that label! It's precisely what I have done - and the result wasn't Prov1s!

Yep I was about to suggest exactly the same thing. Keep using decent lake balls OP and save the money for lessons. It sounds like you're fairly new to the game, so unless you're already very good (i.e. regularly breaking 80), it's unlikely you'll be able to notice much difference between different brands of 3 piece balls anyway. But (more) lessons now should pay dividends in the long run (and hopefully less lost balls!)

The Dog.

Visit site

Good idea. Our pro sells these and I use them through the winter. Premium ball but no sweat if you lose a few.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Kirkland from Costco,although I got them off eBay.
24 for £20,Pearl.
Might not be as good as ProV1 or others premium ball.
But definitely better than Titleist,Srixon….. similar priced.

Fabia999

Visit site
Callaway ChromeSoft Truvis are my choice. Around/on the green they are amazing and I enjoy them off the tee too. Easy to spot with the patterns and they look pretty cool imo.

Wilson Staff DX2 supersofts are also a great choice and are probably half the price of a truvis.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm currently using the Callaway Supersoft they are a decent ball and cost £20 for 12. If I didn't mind losing a £3.50 ball I'd got with a pro V1 but I can't stand losing them at £40+ for 12.