Chipping - Club selection

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How come Gary? I would like to ask a more intelligent question really... Is flying the ball to the hole and having it stop a higher precentage shot, or is it easier to judge roll than carry with a shot shot?

As Valentino said above, less to go wrong. A bad shot aimed at a target 10' away might miss it by a foot or two. A bad shot aimed to land 25' away might be 5 or 6 feet out.
Also, if you knife it with a swing designed to fly the ball 10yds it's way out the back!!! A knifed shot with a putter stroke using an 8 iron will still be on the green.

Sometimes I'll go against my own advice if there's a tricky slope to negotiate, or even if it just feels right to do something else. You have to play a shot you have confidence of pulling off.

A

Alex1975

As Valentino said above, less to go wrong. A bad shot aimed at a target 10' away might miss it by a foot or two. A bad shot aimed to land 25' away might be 5 or 6 feet out.
Also, if you knife it with a swing designed to fly the ball 10yds it's way out the back!!! A knifed shot with a putter stroke using an 8 iron will still be on the green.

Sometimes I'll go against my own advice if there's a tricky slope to negotiate, or even if it just feels right to do something else. You have to play a shot you have confidence of pulling off.

For sure, I saw the caveats, I just thought the concept interesting and its hard to argue with. You do need a very good feel for how the greens are running in every conditions I guess but I bet it also helps with putting pace as you see a lot of balls roll in a round.

I will have a play, It sounds like fun.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me it is all about getting it onto the green as quickly as possible and running to the hole as a putt would and deciding what the best club to achieve that is. It varies depending on how much green there is but I seem able to get the ball running at the hole that way

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Theres some interesting sections in the GM mag this month on the short game worth a read.. There's also a big turn around with pros on how chipping and pitching should be taught nowadays with loft etc being more evident on clubs. Personally i thinks its down to the individual and what they feel confident with... Try some new ideas and see what sits comfortable with you...

I cant even bare the thought of chipping with a 7 iron for example I'd thin it across the green without doubt....Ill always either flop or pitch and run with wedges from 52 - 60 degrees which is arguably harder! :confused:. That said Im open to suggestions as my short game is average at best...:(

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I always try to chip with the same club. My PW. Using just one club gives you a proper "feel" for what you are trying to achieve.
Only in exceptional circumstances will I ever use a different club.