Chipping - ball spins to the right when it lands

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was out for a bit of chipping practice tonight and I noticed that the ball spins off to the right when it hits the turf.

This is not a new thing, I often do this and I often aim a little left to allow for it.

Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it? Or should I just leave it be?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems like you are cutting it more than a little.

A slight cut is often a good idea when chipping - throwing the ball up a little more and getting a little more backspin.

I'd suggest continuing to allow for it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
When my action is off a bit or with certain lies the amount of check to the right varies. It can be quite difficult to predict accurately how much it might jump to the right.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
chipping? so in the whole stroke the clubheads not really getting much above knee height, but certainly not higher than the pants right hip pocket?

but the ball always checks to the right? once it bounces does it pull up reasonably quick, or does it still carry on a good ways with bounce & roll after the first landing point?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends. With a lofted club and a crisp contact yes the ball will stop reasonably quickly but it always seems to bounce right. Never ever left, and seldom straight.

Other times when the contact is not great or with less lofted clubs say 7I, the ball doesn't get too airborne and it goes straight and doesn't check as much.

I might try to film it happening.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's unusual on real short shots with real short distance shots, but the club face has to be open at impact.
for these shots is the starting direction left of, or right of target, mostly?
does the contact with these shots seem pretty solid, no noticeable vibrations through the handle?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably starts right most of the time and when it hits the ground it invariably pops up and lands to the right of where it pitched to. I'm somehow managing to impart some side spin on the ball.

Feels solid enough strike, infact only really happens when I take ball crisply.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
leading edge so face definitely looking right at impact so a little ways open, not square at impact. sounds like the path is coming from inside some too much to accompany the open face.

check your grip, so at address the leading edge is definitely square to an alignment rod or club shaft that's your target line. make sure your not over hinging or rolling your hands/wrists any as you move the club away. have a good look at the 1st vid on the other chipping thread about ball position, shaft lean at address, & how the handle needs to keep swinging through the stroke.

then you need to work on a small shoulder chest movement controlling the arms triangle so the clubhead goes back straighter only slighly coming inside the target line on a real gentle curve & the handle leads the clubhead back to impact on the same gentle curve, weight remains on lead leg throughout. keep the hands/wrists quiet maintain the angle in the back of the right wrist to & through impact. to start your only looking to send the ball some 15' or 20' or so, as your looking only for a square face with a little ways more neutral path.

to do the above, put a water bottle or rolled towel (piece of 4" by 2" some 3' feet long is a real good deterrent to a too inside to outside path, or an old box clubs come in) but whatever you use just place it real close just an inch to the outside of the ball, & whatever you use is parallel to your ball target line.
put another ball (or large coin) couple feet in front of the ball your striking that's directly in front on the target line & work to striking the ball directly over that.

Last edited: