Chinese lad,13,set to become the youngest to play on European Tour!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Remarkable!!!
:)

FROM THE BBC SPORTS.COM WEBSITE
Guan Tian-lang will become the youngest player to compete on the European Tour when the 13-year-old tees off in the China Open on Thursday.
Guan, who will be 13 years and 173 days, will beat the record of compatriot Lo Shik-kai, who was 107 days older at the 2003 Hong Kong Open.
Guan booked his place in the 156-man field after finishing fourth in a mid-China qualifying event.
Also in the field are Scotland's Paul Lawrie and England's Ian Poulter and Paul Casey.
"My goal now is to be the youngest player ever to make the cut in a European Tour event, and I think if I can shoot level par or better I'll have a good chance to do that," said Guan.
The youngest player to make a European Tour cut is Jason Hak, who played all 72 holes at the Hong Kong Open as a 14-year-old amateur in 2009.
Guan started playing golf at the age of four and has claimed numerous age group titles around the world.
He won the World Junior crown in San Diego last year by a 11 shots after a nine-under-par 63 on the opening day.
Belgium's Nicolas Colsaerts won last year's tournament by four strokes,
his first and only win on the European Tour.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be honest there should be a minimum age limit to protect children from what may be seen by some as exploitation.

It takes years to develop the correct mental attitude to cope with the stresses and strains associated with any top level sport particularly where there is a great deal of pressure to suceed, especially when large sums of money are involved.

For me it shouldn't be allowed as I don't think it is ethical and I believe that European Tour need to take responsibility before some young up and coming prospect's life is torn apart by his or her inability to cope with the pressures of the game at the highest level.

One of there reasons Manchester United have been so successful in football is because Alex Ferguson has a rigid policy with his up and coming younger players, in grooming them and introducing them gradually to the professional game to ensure they have the correct mental attitude to succeed as they develop into promising future players. It's not just about the game but the development, expectation, responsibility and managing the pressure and expectation involved.

Last edited:

mouth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IIRC you have to be 18to hold a full tour card but can be granted one at 16 in exceptional circumstances. In this instance, he's made it the hard way by qualifying.

Didn't Michelle Wie play on the PGA at 15 or something?