chicken or egg

def

Medal Winner
Visit site
which way round,10 lessons with pro followed by custom-fit or custom-fit followed by lessons p.s.christmas and birthday presents from my dear wife and children

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally i'd do the lessons first, then get the gear afterwards.

I think you're far more likely to get the gear best suited to yourself once you've had a couple of lessons.

Only my opinion mind.

DHM.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons!! Custom fitting just covers over swing faults for beginners!

Don’t want to start WW3 again just having my say.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
yup id go for lessons too. If you brought clubs which suited your swing now then had lessons in which your pro needed to change key components of your swing it would be a waste of money.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Same as everyone else lessons first mate. Get a swing that's correct then get the clubs. If you get the clubs now and get gear that corrects a fault, you might find when you take the lessons that club becomes obselete.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons first. When I started having lessons last year my swing was too upright with a resulting reverse pivot. The pro changed my technique and rounded my swing and so when I went for custom fitting I knew I had a repeatable (in theory) swing so the measurements were correct fo rthe way I hit the ball.

By having the lessons first you will be shown the correct way to swing which if you practice and develop will become your in built style. Custom fitting from there will give you nice shiny bats made to your idiosyncrasies to beat your mates out of sight with

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ditto. Lessons first. Would you spend £1000 on a suit if you were about to hire a nutritionalist and lose weight? To stretch the analogy to breaking point- how will you know what your waist size will be?

if the pro so much as changes one parameter of your entire swing/set up combo then your fittings out the the window.IMHO Make the changes, bed them in them buy the toys to fit.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Erm............... lessons first then go for a fitting.

I bought my first set of clubs and had them custom fitted at the time of purchase.
As someone who had hardly hit a golf ball before buying I found the custom fitting to be a waste of time and money. I didn't have the correct stance, posture or indeed swing.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons, no argument. I've got to get through a whole course of 'em (12 up front) before I either win a Titleist set (still praying!) or visit the Mizuno (Wales) centre.

Dave