Cheltenham Preview

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Morning all

I went to a Cheltenham Preview last night at Towcester rase course and thought I'd share what I feel came out of the preview.

Among the board was Gary Wiltshere, Dean 'the couch' Winstanley, Matt Chapman, Paddy Brennan and a couple of stat and time form monkeys.

Day 1:

The main feeling for Day one is to appose Cue Card in the festival opener, the Stan James Supreme Novices' Hurdle . The race has a notorious record for getting favourites beaten and they all feel that Cue Card is not as strong this year as Dunguib was last year, and Dunguib got beaten a mile. The only thing that was said to take from this race is that is Cue Card does manage to win, then Menorah will certinaly shorten for the champion hurdle. However, there were cases, both postive and negative, to be made for plenty of horse in the Champion Hurdle and the general feel was that this is not really a punting opportunity. In fact the only horse they all agreed would be worth a nibble at now as it will surely be half the odds on the day is Definity in the Centenary Novices' Handicap Chase. 10/1+ the field will not be how it fairs on the day and the panel felt that Difinity was a horse who would be certian to shorten on the day. The consensus in the Arkle was that the bookies had the race spot on with Finians Rainbow Medermit and Ghizao all roughly joint favourites. They felt the winner of the race must come from this trio.

Day 2
Day 2 brought 3 fancies to the fore front. Firstly, So Young in the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle appears to tick all the right boxes, and although the horse has shortened from 14/1 to around 6/1 there is still a small amount of value about the horse and its chances.
Secondly, in the RSA a very strong case was made for Time For Rupert. Around about a 5/2 chance, this horse looks a worthy favourite and clearly the horse to beat. The only slight negative is the fact Time For Rupert missed his prep race due to weather conditions, however the owner was still bullish about his chances.
Call the Police in the Coral Cup looks certain to go off favourite on the day and the panel felt this would be the most likely winner of the race. Not a single negative was posted about this horse, althought the race was not discussed in great length.
Masterminded got his usual mention. They still believe he has the ability to win the race but are not sure he has really progressed from his first impressive win. The wind operation seems to have worked wonders up to now but they all agreed that these operations to wear off and feel masterminded is one to oppose. A case was made for both Big Zeb and Sizing Europe but neither really stand out. Small stakes interest if playing.

Day 3
My festival banker (well I hope) and my favourite cheltenham horse appears in the shape of Big Bucks. The panel could not have anything negative to say about this horse and all agree that Grand Crus is seriously shorter than it should be. This all amounts to Big Bucks being available at odds against in some places which is massive when you consider how the horse has not lost since Sam Thomas jumped shipped 11 races ago. Big Bucks was 6/4 after winning last year so to have seen the horse run aswell as ever and now still available around 5/4 leads us to feel that this is THE banker of the meeting. It will go odds on at the course and really represents a 1/2 shot.
Poquelin in the Ryan Air was the only other horse to have postive things said about him and should be shorter than the 7/2 generally available right now.

Day 4

All the talk about day 4 was in relation to how the Gold Cup is like a veterans race this year. For the first time in about 50 years we have 3 Gold Cup winners in this race but they all felt that Denman and Kauto Star were now too old and nothing else really stood out as a contender. This left them all with last years winner Imperial Commander as the leading candidate although Paddy Brennan did state that compared to last year Imperial commander was 85-90% of the horse he was. Paddy still felt this was enough.
A very strong chance has been given to Sir Des Champs trained by Willie Mullins. The horse is entered in 4 races but this is the race he will run in so we're told and is about a 10/1 shot. This will be much shorter on the day.

Summary

What I've taken from the review is that this cheltenham looks as difficult as ever to pick a winner. From the review last night I've listed below the horses which seem to have a good case for them and rated how bullish the panel were.

Big Bucks - World Hurdle ***
Time For Rupert - RSA **
Definity - Centenary *
Sir Des Champs - Martin Pipe Conditional *
So Young - Neptune *
Call the Police - Coral Cup *

Thanks for reading. Really hope it's of some use.

P.S I didn't back one winner last year :)

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Time For Rupert - RSA **
Definity - Centenary *
So Young - Neptune *

Sorry also would want to back Poquelin - Ryan Air*

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hi Dave

thanks for the write up.

Did they seriously not get past the front few in the betting for their recommendations. None at a big price in the handicaps?

If you're backing Big Bucks, W Hills seem to insist on being a standout price about him, currently 11/8 but have been top price for a while and he may even get bigger yet.

One I had heard a word for recently (and disappointingly another at head of market) was Knights Pass in the Champion Bumper (at 8/1)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Cheltenham as a town, I don't even have a problem with the Races. My Grandmother is/was a well known Racehorse trainer (flat) even...but every time the gold cup comes round, the traffic is beyond a nightmare! And it's already bad without the race traffic! Glad I'm not home next weekend! :D

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
hi Dave

thanks for the write up.

Did they seriously not get past the front few in the betting for their recommendations. None at a big price in the handicaps?

One I had heard a word for recently (and disappointingly another at head of market) was Knights Pass in the Champion Bumper (at 8/1)

hi mate

The couch was quite strong on China Rock at 50/1 for gold cup.

Oscar whisky in Champion Hurdle was given a chance.

Queen Mother Sizing Europe simply because of how highly the owners and trainer rate him.

The Great Bolster as an each way bet aswell.

Marsh Warbler given a shout by him owner but panel feel it's really difficult race to call.

I got festival book (well 3 actually -we got one each) If we're still on for the range tomorrow mate I'll bring you a copy. Got some interesting stuff in it, RRP £12.95 ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah am still on for range, ill be in no hurry so depending on your plans happy to have a beer after.

I backed Sizing Europe AP for the King George, real shame it got postponed as thought it was a very live chance that day

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah that sounds real good to me mate. As I mentioned before I'm werking til 6pm so will be at range for 7pm if that's good for you?

Yeah I like Sizing Europe myself and agree with King George. It's certainly going to be an interesting one for me. Big Bucks win's and I'm over the moon other than a few tenners and scores on the ones listed above I'll just been following my cheltenham betting plan of backing number 7 every race. 28 of them this year as its centenary meeting. NOT ONE Number 7 last year!!! This is my year :)

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After last years festival think i will only look to some small bets each day to keep an interest.

Although had a good november at cheltenham so just the usual case of win some lose some! :D

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My tip and its a dead cert,save your money.I will watch the racing because its a great sport.However i was a compulsive gambler once,lost a lot of money and a relationship so im staying well clear of any bookmaker,but good luck on your tips.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Pokerjoke!

I used to bet quite alot on greyhounds when they had the track in MK, not doubt I've lost thousends of pounds over the years some months when I couldn't afford to lose it. I've never been a big punter on horses but do enjoy the whole package of cheltenham. Good few drinks, good horse racing, good food, good craic and most of all, good golf before we leave :)

I've only had an interest on the horses above because, like most suckers, I buy into all the speil they give at the preview. My antepost bet on Big Bucks is for a couple of hundred but I had a nice win on a footy bet a few weeks back so just played the profit up.

I'll just stick to my £5 per race on number 7 and hope to get a winner. 1 winners at 25/1 pretty much pays for the meetings bets. Won't be betting anymore than that.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My tip and its a dead cert,save your money.I will watch the racing because its a great sport.However i was a compulsive gambler once,lost a lot of money and a relationship so im staying well clear of any bookmaker,but good luck on your tips.

Agreed.

My grandmother has NEVER given a tip to anyone and doesn't bet on horse racing herself now she's retired...because she's seen it all before.

You cannot win.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Agreed.

My grandmother has NEVER given a tip to anyone and doesn't bet on horse racing herself now she's retired...because she's seen it all before.

You cannot win.

Try telling that to the guy who put £2 on the other day for a tidy £1.45M at the races. :eek:

I don't bet to make money but it keeps an interest. Makes a day at the races or saturday afternoons footy far more interesting!

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Agreed.

You cannot win.

I completely agree that long term you will lose as an average jo punter. The people who make money from the game either exploit loopholes or are given decent advice from all angles when something is going down.

I wasn't bothered at all that I didn't back a single winner last year. Had a really good time. For me, winning at cheltenham is a bonus. I've already written off the £140 betting money I've put aside.

If I had the dicipline I'd just place all my money on one bet (Big Bucks) but I'd rather have a small interest in everyrace.

It's certainly going to be a great week irrospective of the gambling.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My business partner and I have a bet on the meeting most years. He is in to racing, bets (small amounts) every week, I have no interest in racing at all and dont even bother with the Derby or Grand National but he insists we go "head to head" on a few mid week televised race meetings for bragging rights.

We each pick one horse on each race, put the same on each race and the one with most money won each day is " the man".

We have done this over about 5 years now and I am a clear leader everytime - therefore it has to be a mugs game as I know less than nothing about horse racing!

Chris

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice Chris :D

That's why I'm sticking to backing number 7! Not 1 winner last year so must be due a few this year ;)

My uncle who comes to cheltenham with us studies form like nothing else. He's really passionate about it but isn't a big punter at all. He likes his antepost bets but this year has hardly any runners. Last year he backed Cue Card antepost at 400/1 on Betfair, won on the day at 40/1, he made about a grand on Betfair for a small stake. He also was skint for racing that week, that was our last day on the thursday and he had £3 in his pocket for the last race, only went and bagged the forecast and won a couple of hundred quid. He bought us LOTS of drinks that night.

Swings and roud-a-bouts I think.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Morning all

I went to a Cheltenham Preview last night at Towcester rase course and thought I'd share what I feel came out of the preview.

Among the board was Gary Wiltshere, Dean 'the couch' Winstanley, Matt Chapman, Paddy Brennan and a couple of stat and time form monkeys.

Day 1:

The main feeling for Day one is to appose Cue Card in the festival opener, the Stan James Supreme Novices' Hurdle . The race has a notorious record for getting favourites beaten and they all feel that Cue Card is not as strong this year as Dunguib was last year, and Dunguib got beaten a mile. The only thing that was said to take from this race is that is Cue Card does manage to win, then Menorah will certinaly shorten for the champion hurdle. However, there were cases, both postive and negative, to be made for plenty of horse in the Champion Hurdle and the general feel was that this is not really a punting opportunity. In fact the only horse they all agreed would be worth a nibble at now as it will surely be half the odds on the day is Definity in the Centenary Novices' Handicap Chase. 10/1+ the field will not be how it fairs on the day and the panel felt that Difinity was a horse who would be certian to shorten on the day. The consensus in the Arkle was that the bookies had the race spot on with Finians Rainbow Medermit and Ghizao all roughly joint favourites. They felt the winner of the race must come from this trio.

Day 2
Day 2 brought 3 fancies to the fore front. Firstly, So Young in the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle appears to tick all the right boxes, and although the horse has shortened from 14/1 to around 6/1 there is still a small amount of value about the horse and its chances.
Secondly, in the RSA a very strong case was made for Time For Rupert. Around about a 5/2 chance, this horse looks a worthy favourite and clearly the horse to beat. The only slight negative is the fact Time For Rupert missed his prep race due to weather conditions, however the owner was still bullish about his chances.
Call the Police in the Coral Cup looks certain to go off favourite on the day and the panel felt this would be the most likely winner of the race. Not a single negative was posted about this horse, althought the race was not discussed in great length.
Masterminded got his usual mention. They still believe he has the ability to win the race but are not sure he has really progressed from his first impressive win. The wind operation seems to have worked wonders up to now but they all agreed that these operations to wear off and feel masterminded is one to oppose. A case was made for both Big Zeb and Sizing Europe but neither really stand out. Small stakes interest if playing.

Day 3
My festival banker (well I hope) and my favourite cheltenham horse appears in the shape of Big Bucks. The panel could not have anything negative to say about this horse and all agree that Grand Crus is seriously shorter than it should be. This all amounts to Big Bucks being available at odds against in some places which is massive when you consider how the horse has not lost since Sam Thomas jumped shipped 11 races ago. Big Bucks was 6/4 after winning last year so to have seen the horse run aswell as ever and now still available around 5/4 leads us to feel that this is THE banker of the meeting. It will go odds on at the course and really represents a 1/2 shot.
Poquelin in the Ryan Air was the only other horse to have postive things said about him and should be shorter than the 7/2 generally available right now.

Day 4

All the talk about day 4 was in relation to how the Gold Cup is like a veterans race this year. For the first time in about 50 years we have 3 Gold Cup winners in this race but they all felt that Denman and Kauto Star were now too old and nothing else really stood out as a contender. This left them all with last years winner Imperial Commander as the leading candidate although Paddy Brennan did state that compared to last year Imperial commander was 85-90% of the horse he was. Paddy still felt this was enough.
A very strong chance has been given to Sir Des Champs trained by Willie Mullins. The horse is entered in 4 races but this is the race he will run in so we're told and is about a 10/1 shot. This will be much shorter on the day.

Summary

What I've taken from the review is that this cheltenham looks as difficult as ever to pick a winner. From the review last night I've listed below the horses which seem to have a good case for them and rated how bullish the panel were.

Time For Rupert - RSA **
Definity - Centenary *
So Young - Neptune *

Thanks for reading. Really hope it's of some use.

P.S I didn't back one winner last year :)

OOPS no winners yet.
Of course law of averages says you should get one.
Big bucks wont make you rich. :D