Checking the Loft and Lie of My Irons

Hoganman1

Visit site
OK my friends, what would you do? I just put a five year old set of Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons back in play. Low and behold I've shot 78 and 77 since doing so. These are my lowest rounds of the year. I originally planned to have my pro check (and correct, if necessary) the loft and lie since they are older clubs. However, I want to keep the sub-eighty streak going so do I really want to change anything?

Hoganman1

Visit site
Is the ball going where you want it to?
Are you scoring well because of or in spite of your irons..?
Good questions. Yes, the ball is going where I'm aiming. The biggest change I've noticed is with the short irons. I was playing Taylormade 2017 M2s. Even though the TMs lofts are about a club stronger the Mizunos are going about the same distance because of better contact.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy to check the lie for yourself - just use some tape on the sole and hit some balls of a reasonable flat surface.

Where I play hitting off the range mats is good enough without the lie tapes as it leaves a little bit of the nylon on the sole with every hit.

All you are really worried about with lofts is - is the gap between each club consistent enough and do you know how far you hit each club?

Hoganman1

Visit site
It is the lofts about which I'm wondering. I know forged irons tend to bend over time. A couple of the long iron shots seem to come up a little short during my two rounds. It could be that I'm just used to the distances I've been hitting the M2s. Anyway, I'm not going to touch them for now. I'll just club up if I find I need to do so.