Cheaper for women

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
At our club the fees are the same. Do we get the same product? Do we heck! It's amazing how coincidental it is that work on the greens etc has to be done on our competition days but never for the men...never mind the extra effort that goes into setting the course up just right for men's comps.

Ask any woman who plays golf, I have, and the answer is the same "it's the same everywhere".

It's nothing like equality but this topic gets debated on here from time to time and mostly the attitude is that we have it great. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

This afternoon at ours, they were out raking all the bunkers for the men's comp tomorrow, it wasn't done prior to our comp yesterday

Boomy

Visit site
The disparity isn’t just with club membership rates.. I noticed whilst entering an open this week that a mens open entry fee was £35, but the ladies open entry fee was only £16 - it’s to play the same course? (with the exception of tee positions) ? It might be down to a smaller/lower value prize table for the ladies? I can understand incentivising membership fees to attract juniors, young adults and ladies to join a club and drive participation in our wonderful game. But a significantly reduced entry fee for a open on the same course doesn’t seem right - a non golfer isn’t going to see it advertised at a low rate and suddenly decide to enter an open and take up golf.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The disparity isn’t just with club membership rates.. I noticed whilst entering an open this week that a mens open entry fee was £35, but the ladies open entry fee was only £16 - it’s to play the same course? (with the exception of tee positions) ? It might be down to a smaller/lower value prize table for the ladies? I can understand incentivising membership fees to attract juniors, young adults and ladies to join a club and drive participation in our wonderful game. But a significantly reduced entry fee for a open on the same course doesn’t seem right - a non golfer isn’t going to see it advertised at a low rate and suddenly decide to enter an open and take up golf.

Supply and demand?

evemccc

Visit site
Why is that even relevant to my point?

The issue of work done on the greens done on Ladies comp days Vs Men’s comp days, the respective number of members playing the comps is relevant if you take the Utilitarian political philosophy of a sensible and ‘fair’ course of action bringing about the ‘greatest benefit to greatest number of people’

(I’m not necessarily saying I agree with that, but it’s clear at least to me at least, that fairness and equality are nebulous concepts and it really depends on how this it is interpreted)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
At ours, the fees are equal for men and women. I pay for my wife’s membership, so would be happier if her rate was discounted ?. The interesting thing is that she can book a tee time at any time and day of the week, whilst I can’t. I’m not allowed to book on Tuesday morning from 9-12 as that’s the ladies competition slot. This is where equality takes a twist as the men are not allowed to play in the ladies comps, but the ladies are allowed to play in the mens comps. There’s a growing group of ladies that now book mid morning on Saturday too, I’m sure with an intent to cause discussion ?. I’m all for equality, but this just isn’t, I think the men should have a discounted rate over the women as I am unable to book at certain times. It’s not about me intending to play in the ladies comp, it’s unlikely that I will be able to play on a Tuesday morning, at least until I retire, or I’m on vacation. If all things are equal though, I should at least be given the opportunity.

As for the few that have suggested that juniors should start paying full rates at 18, that’s absurd. Even if the juniors were in full time employment, they are unlikely to be on high earnings. I would imagine that most are still at school doing A levels, or heading to college or university, and that their fees are likely paid by parents. Regardless of who pays, increasing membership to full fees at that age is likely to make it unaffordable, and the perfect way to drive them out of the game.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
At ours, the fees are equal for men and women. I pay for my wife’s membership, so would be happier if her rate was discounted ?. The interesting thing is that she can book a tee time at any time and day of the week, whilst I can’t. I’m not allowed to book on Tuesday morning from 9-12 as that’s the ladies competition slot. This is where equality takes a twist as the men are not allowed to play in the ladies comps, but the ladies are allowed to play in the mens comps. There’s a growing group of ladies that now book mid morning on Saturday too, I’m sure with an intent to cause discussion ?. I’m all for equality, but this just isn’t, I think the men should have a discounted rate over the women as I am unable to book at certain times. It’s not about me intending to play in the ladies comp, it’s unlikely that I will be able to play on a Tuesday morning, at least until I retire, or I’m on vacation. If all things are equal though, I should at least be given the opportunity.

As for the few that have suggested that juniors should start paying full rates at 18, that’s absurd. Even if the juniors were in full time employment, they are unlikely to be on high earnings. I would imagine that most are still at school doing A levels, or heading to college or university and that their fees are likely paid by parents. Regardless of who pays, increasing membership to full fees at that age is likely to make it unaffordable, and the perfect way to drive them out of the game.

You have a point when it comes to moving from being a junior to an adult at 18, though reduced fee's for this age group were only introduced around the beginning of this century. I do though think that extending reductions to the age of 35 was madness and is one reason full paying subscriptions have gone through the roof in my area as only a relatively small percentage of members are now paying that fee (around 25% in my clubs case).

Leftitshort

Visit site
I can’t play in any of these. ?? our fees are equal. The whole of the club can play in the stablefords. Approx 14 mens only medals a year. X2 are 36 holes. Approx 60 ladies comps I can’t play in. 1/3 have protected tee times on Tues & @ weekends. In addition to protected times Tues am. don’t get me started on seniors playing on sat am !!
The Mon-fri working man pays full membership for less access. Where is my positive discrimination?

Attachments

• 36C9B22A-AAF1-4481-81A4-1E7CFFF2BC1E.png
    36C9B22A-AAF1-4481-81A4-1E7CFFF2BC1E.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 16

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I find it really odd they have Mens and womens competitions on different days. Would it not be easier for greenkeeping staff to prepare a course for one or two comp days rather than 3 or four.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You have a point when it comes to moving from being a junior to an adult at 18, though reduced fee's for this age group were only introduced around the beginning of this century. I do though think that extending reductions to the age of 35 was madness and is one reason full paying subscriptions have gone through the roof in my area as only a relatively small percentage of members are now paying that fee (around 25% in my clubs case).
?
Yet seniors pay the same ( full price) and in most other walks of life, prescriptions, bus passes, football season tickets etc, the price reduces. Some seniors at our place cannot play 18 holes.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I can’t play in any of these. ?? our fees are equal. The whole of the club can play in the stablefords. Approx 14 mens only medals a year. X2 are 36 holes. Approx 60 ladies comps I can’t play in. 1/3 have protected tee times on Tues & @ weekends. In addition to protected times Tues am. don’t get me started on seniors playing on sat am !!
The Mon-fri working man pays full membership for less access. Where is my positive discrimination?
Gonna edit this after re reading. The Mon-fri working person gets a raw deal. One of my mates, who’s a woman + works get a poor deal also. The retired male or female should pay more, or have weekend restrictions

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For me the argument it's to grow the game etc is a false one when the discount is continual.

Of it was along the lines of First year at any club is 50%, second year 75%, then 100% from then on.

After 2 years of being a member, the women will either want to play golf or won't.

It should also be linked to cdh so no swapping every few years.

I agree more with the age discounts as I think generally as we get older we have more disposable income.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
?
Yet seniors pay the same ( full price) and in most other walks of life, prescriptions, bus passes, football season tickets etc, the price reduces. Some seniors at our place cannot play 18 holes.

I realise that every club varies but at our place, with no waiting list and a bit out on a limb location wise, I reckon they would have approximately 75 less members (myself included) if the discounted age groups were paying the full membership price as they just wouldn't have the time to get their moneys worth.

From a business point of view, if you can accommodate them, it makes more sense to get 60% of the full membership fee off 75 people, than 100% off none of them.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Equal pay, equal rights. Equal golf fees should thus means equal treatment and opportunities irrespective of gender in today's society.

I can see a reason for low fees for younger members who do not have jobs but not for adults.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same rates at lots of clubs.

Seniors can and do play 7 days a week. They can play after comps on Ladies day. May not get 18 in during winter but can still play some golf.
Some men working full time Monday to Friday do not have shifts or flexi and can only play at weekends.
Some women working full time Monday to Friday do not have shifts or flexi time and can only play 18 holes on Sundays as Saturdays is mens comp day. Or play on Saturday after the mens comps but face a five hour round and no chance of 18 in winter.

Still looks to me like women get the worst deal for the same price.

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
Equal pay, equal rights. Equal golf fees should thus means equal treatment and opportunities irrespective of gender in today's society.

I can see a reason for low fees for younger members who do not have jobs but not for adults.
You might have a point if women were actually paid the same as men for similar roles in today's society. As it stands though, they are not.

That's not even mentioning the fact that women are still much more likely to take career breaks to have children and therefore earn less than their male counterpart, which just compounds the issue.

Even after the discounts that are mentioned here, I would bet that, as a male, I'm still up on the deal!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is giving discounts to juniors ageism too?

And should be removed. The age group in question has huge amounts of spare cash. Mortgage rates still bonkers low. Jesus I know of some that are buying three bed starter homes and have brand new rented cars, and if thiley like golf they are getting cheap golf!!!!!! Unreal. I have vowed not to join a club on full membership until these categories are removed. No skin off my nose, I can have 5 day membership and play as much as I like, then play opens at the weekend.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And should be removed. The age group in question has huge amounts of spare cash. Mortgage rates still bonkers low. Jesus I know of some that are buying three bed starter homes and have brand new rented cars, and if thiley like golf they are getting cheap golf!!!!!! Unreal. I have vowed not to join a club on full membership until these categories are removed. No skin off my nose, I can have 5 day membership and play as much as I like, then play opens at the weekend.

My 11 year old certainly doesn’t have a starter home and a new car!

I don’t know where you get your opinion of the financial situation of the younger generations from, but I can tell you it’s not the norm.