Cheaper for women

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our club the fees are the same. Do we get the same product? Do we heck! It's amazing how coincidental it is that work on the greens etc has to be done on our competition days but never for the men...never mind the extra effort that goes into setting the course up just right for men's comps.

Ask any woman who plays golf, I have, and the answer is the same "it's the same everywhere".

It's nothing like equality but this topic gets debated on here from time to time and mostly the attitude is that we have it great. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
You must stop having a ladies day and demand that all comps be mixed. This will sort it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 11 year old certainly doesn’t have a starter home and a new car!

I don’t know where you get your opinion of the financial situation of the younger generations from, but I can tell you it’s not the norm.
Not kids!!!! Jesus H, do people not use their common sense. I'm talking of the 18 to 35 age group. Although, I think anyone still in education should be allowed a discount. Once earning dosh, they should pay full fees.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ours, the fees are equal for men and women. I pay for my wife’s membership, so would be happier if her rate was discounted ?. The interesting thing is that she can book a tee time at any time and day of the week, whilst I can’t. I’m not allowed to book on Tuesday morning from 9-12 as that’s the ladies competition slot. This is where equality takes a twist as the men are not allowed to play in the ladies comps, but the ladies are allowed to play in the mens comps. There’s a growing group of ladies that now book mid morning on Saturday too, I’m sure with an intent to cause discussion ?. I’m all for equality, but this just isn’t, I think the men should have a discounted rate over the women as I am unable to book at certain times. It’s not about me intending to play in the ladies comp, it’s unlikely that I will be able to play on a Tuesday morning, at least until I retire, or I’m on vacation. If all things are equal though, I should at least be given the opportunity.

As for the few that have suggested that juniors should start paying full rates at 18, that’s absurd. Even if the juniors were in full time employment, they are unlikely to be on high earnings. I would imagine that most are still at school doing A levels, or heading to college or university, and that their fees are likely paid by parents. Regardless of who pays, increasing membership to full fees at that age is likely to make it unaffordable, and the perfect way to drive them out of the game.

I think those who a railing against this discount, mean for those who are working, not those in education.

Boomy

Visit site
My 11 year old certainly doesn’t have a starter home and a new car!

I don’t know where you get your opinion of the financial situation of the younger generations from, but I can tell you it’s not the norm.

Why would an 11 year have a starter home and/or a new car ? He is clearly meaning a fully working junior/young adult member and he is right about a lot, I’d say the majority of them.

Back in the day when I was a trainee (YTS for those that remember) I was paid £40 a week as an apprentice, eventually subsidised up to £60 after the first year! We have just taken on 6 apprentices with a starting wage of £26,000 going up to £28,000 after 18 months and we are not unique. Granted, if a young adult is in full time education after leaving school from 16-21 (or even up to 23) they won’t have a huge income so should be subsidised/have a reduced rate. But there are more full time working and well paid young adults out there than in previous generations - driving around in brand new cars (A class Mercedes seem to be popular) There’s a group at our club (that are new members) who I chat too as a couple of them also use the range I go to, sensible lads, good jobs, all drive new cars, 2-3 holidays a year and they pay £225 a year membership (which is a third of the £575 rate we pay, which yes I know is still a great price)

Working, earning a full wage = you pays your way.

Clubs doing a reduced first year rate or spreading the cost of a joining fee is acceptable to drive start up but after year 1 people generally know if they are enjoying it and want to keep playing which means they should pay the full rate after that (whatever that rate is)

Boomy

Visit site
Not kids!!!! Jesus H, do people not use their common sense. I'm talking of the 18 to 35 age group. Although, I think anyone still in education should be allowed a discount. Once earning dosh, they should pay full fees.

100% agree with this post.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Can you not read?

You even quoted where I specifically said juniors ??‍♂️

It’s nice to see so many people on here are all for equality. But….. It does beg the question. Why has it taken so long for women to be offered the opportunity of equal status at golf clubs?

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

But your reply was to a post about "juniors".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s nice to see so many people on here are all for equality. But….. It does beg the question. Why has it so long for women to be offered the opportunity of equal status at golf clubs?
We play a sport where some clubs dictate the length and colour of the socks you can wear. Most clubs dictate the type of shorts, trousers and shirts you wear. Situations exist in golf 'because it's always been that way'.

Inequality exists because it suits the majority of members who do well out of it. It exists because the people on those committees are happy with the status quo. Very sad and totally unacceptable. I'm pleased to say that for all of the faults at my own club the lady members are treated utterly equally with the men. We are members, end of.

RichA

Visit site
We play a sport where some clubs dictate the length and colour of the socks you can wear. Most clubs dictate the type of shorts, trousers and shirts you wear. Situations exist in golf 'because it's always been that way'.

Inequality exists because it suits the majority of members who do well out of it. It exists because the people on those committees are happy with the status quo. Very sad and totally unacceptable. I'm pleased to say that for all of the faults at my own club the lady members are treated utterly equally with the men. We are members, end of.
I'm a member of a proprietary club. This thread had me looking at the membership fees. Roughly 20% discount for oldies and young adults, 75% discount for kids, packages for less frequent players, discounted packages for couples and families all calculated based on the category of each of the individuals in the family group. And no gender biased competitions or tee time blocking.
This is perhaps what happens when a proprietor decides what is best for business rather than a committee deciding what they think people like them want from a club.
Loads of juniors playing, increasing female membership and I've never heard anyone complain about the prices.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
At the club I’m about to join, you don’t pay full whack until you’re 40.
Its not a huge saving for those 35 to 39, about 10% I think, but it’s a very long lead in period to actually paying the full rate.
And there doesn’t appear to be any discount once you’re of pensionable age.
I’ve no problem with this, it just surprised me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At the club I’m about to join, you don’t pay full whack until you’re 40.
Its not a huge saving for those 35 to 39, about 10% I think, but it’s a very long lead in period to actually paying the full rate.
And there doesn’t appear to be any discount once you’re of pensionable age.
I’ve no problem with this, it just surprised me.

I know a few 35 to 39 years olds earning £100,000k + which is slightly more than the state pension !