Cheaper for women

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes historically they have been held back in lots of ways.
But golf is a luxury not an essential thing.
I belive in true equality but giving one sex discounts over another is wrong imo.

more men go to football matches should PL teams discount tickets for women to get the numbers up.
So equal opportunities should only apply to essential services, an interesting viewpoint.

Unfortunately, history informs how society is today but I agree in an ideal world all of us should equally feel we are able to participate in society without incentives being offered, I am afraid though we are nowhere near reaching that point. When we do equally opportunity legislation will thankfully be redundant.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, of course it is.

The same with reductions that many clubs give to under 35's.

I had a discussion with our club Chairman, as in my club a person who's been at the club for 20 years and of state pension age is entitled to claim a £100 reduction - he said that he was going to stop this and give it to (already benefiting by reduced fees) younger golfers as they had less disposable income than pensioners. I pointed out that most of the brand new cars in the car park were being driven by the under 40's and that only by means testing could he tell who was most likely to benefit, especially given that under 35's already paid less than I do as a pensioner, but in any case he'd never get it through an AGM as only the olden's tend to bother to turn out.
That’s what charging different fees causes.
It’s only my opinion but golf is a luxury pastime and anyone who wants to be a member should pay the fees.
Nobody can complain then.
Juniors up to 18 yrs of age scale the fees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So equal opportunities should only apply to essential services, an interesting viewpoint.

Unfortunately, history informs how society is today but I agree in an ideal world all of us should equally feel we are able to participate in society without incentives being offered, I am afraid though we are nowhere near reaching that point. When we do equally opportunity legislation will thankfully be redundant.
What???
How is charging the women the same as the men not equal?
Nobody is stopping women playing golf but they should pay the same as the men!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have done at mine for a few years now!
They do at my club as well.
Have equal access and are just members.
They play in weekend club comps
But women don’t pay a joining fee £1250 that’s a big chunk of money all male members have to pay.
It’s just my opinion that that is fundamentally not right.

The best descriptions of this problem I heard was.
Two golf club staff working in the office and getting equal pay.
Both want to play golf, the man needs to pay £2500 the woman needs to pay £1250. both full members with same playing rights.
That is just not right imo

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am happy with offering young adults an incentive as they are the future of the game but cheap deals for different genders is absolutely wrong in my opinion.
Equal fees, equal rights, enjoy the game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They have done at mine for a few years now!
And here.
We have staged fees for juniors into young adult etc but full adult members pay the same and have pretty much equal access to the course.
We have Men only times on a Sunday morning (until 11.30) and Ladies only times on a Tuesday until the same time and they get 30 or 40 every week.
Outside of that tee times are available to all.
Seems fair, everyone seems to go along with it, everyone pays the same - except the Younguns!!!:mad:;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's amazing the massive inequities women face at golf clubs and the deafening silence from the vast majority of male members but even hint at something favouring women and all they all come greetin' out the woodwork. Boringly predictable.

Not at my club. More medals, blocked tee times for week day medals, same comp played over 2 days, 1 at the weekend. New toilet build on the course, women get the new fancy one despite only being ~10% of the membership, blocked prime tee times for the team (do they play any matches?), 2 wasted empty tee times before all their medals...

Plus, some women's sections get to run comps and keep the profits where they have a day out.

Tough life. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not really. Equal would be the men only times being on Thursday or the women only times being on Saturday.
I tend to agree but the ladies are more than happy with it.
I'd prefer no alloted tee times....either turn up and play or pre-book unless there is a Mens or Ladies only comp on..a lot of our comps are mixed...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was talking to the chairman the other day about my wife joining this year as she wanted to take it up.
When he told me it was the same price as me the idea was quashed there and then.
He did point out they had exactly the same options as us men so it should be equal,and let’s be honest they are always moaning about not have equality.
Move to Shropshire ?.
Under the Women in Golf Charter we will be offering taster sessions then if they like it series of lessons with the Pro and very good rates for a 3 month summer membership with a golf buddy to help them ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have the usual age related discounts up to 35 (a bone of contention) but men and women pay the same rate. Although we have a male and female section we are treated as one club in terms of membership. Yes, the women still have their historic tee times on a Tuesday but that aside they don't have any other on-course privileges

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
At our club the fees are the same. Do we get the same product? Do we heck! It's amazing how coincidental it is that work on the greens etc has to be done on our competition days but never for the men...never mind the extra effort that goes into setting the course up just right for men's comps.

Ask any woman who plays golf, I have, and the answer is the same "it's the same everywhere".

It's nothing like equality but this topic gets debated on here from time to time and mostly the attitude is that we have it great. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I am happy with offering young adults an incentive as they are the future of the game but cheap deals for different genders is absolutely wrong in my opinion.
Equal fees, equal rights, enjoy the game.
I'm happy giving young people a lower price to incentivise them into the game BUT as soon as they can outdrive me they should pay full whack. :devilish:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to agree but the ladies are more than happy with it.
I'd prefer no alloted tee times....either turn up and play or pre-book unless there is a Mens or Ladies only comp on..a lot of our comps are mixed...
Except the women that don’t join because they work 5 days a week and can’t play at peak time on a sunday

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At our club the fees are the same. Do we get the same product? Do we heck! It's amazing how coincidental it is that work on the greens etc has to be done on our competition days but never for the men...never mind the extra effort that goes into setting the course up just right for men's comps.

Ask any woman who plays golf, I have, and the answer is the same "it's the same everywhere".

It's nothing like equality but this topic gets debated on here from time to time and mostly the attitude is that we have it great. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
How many male members are there and how many female members are there?