Cheaper for women

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m considering joining my local club, which costs around £ 900.
They have a deal for the first year, £ 450, but only for women.
I haven’t got a problem with this type of deal, but would’ve thought they were on shaky ground legally in this day and age?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m considering joining my local club, which costs around £ 900.
They have a deal for the first year, £ 450, but only for women.
I haven’t got a problem with this type of deal, but would’ve thought they were on shaky ground legally in this day and age?
As I understand it, clubs are permitted to offer incentives for groups underpresented. So suspect this would hold up to legal challenge.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's not uncommon. Clubs often have incentives to attract certain groups. Many clubs have joining fees for men but not women etc.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just identify as a woman; you'll be grand and a nice saving to boot :cautious:

However, it's fairly obvious woman are under represented in the game and you need to incentivise for juniors as they be the life blood of the club in the future :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was talking to the chairman the other day about my wife joining this year as she wanted to take it up.
When he told me it was the same price as me the idea was quashed there and then.
He did point out they had exactly the same options as us men so it should be equal,and let’s be honest they are always moaning about not have equality.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
As a left hander do i count as being under represented and therefore eligible for a discount?

I doubt whether left-handers are underrepresented but regardless, as right-handedness is not a protected characteristic under the Law, then I guess a club could offer discounts for left-handers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I doubt whether left-handers are underrepresented but regardless, as right-handedness is not a protected characteristic under the Law, then I guess a club could offer discounts for left-handers.
Under the law though they are not supposed to discriminate by gender.
This should protect men from paying more than women.
As long as everyone has the same opportunity to join / play I can’t see any real justification to have a discrepancy.

Juniors are different given they don’t have the income or resources.
But should stop at 18 yrs old.
The equality laws are very rarely used to protect men but there are to many get out clauses.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was talking to the chairman the other day about my wife joining this year as she wanted to take it up.
When he told me it was the same price as me the idea was quashed there and then.
He did point out they had exactly the same options as us men so it should be equal,and let’s be honest they are always moaning about not have equality.
Our club went equal on all adult memberships years ago. TBH, a few of the lady members were a bit miffed as they lost a few of their privileges of reserved tee-times, reduced fees, etc. But now everyone is on the same footing. Back to the original question though, as was pointed out, you can incentivise an under-represented sector, at least on gender.
And if it brings more women into the game, then I'm all for it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club went equal on all adult memberships years ago. TBH, a few of the lady members were a bit miffed as they lost a few of their privileges of reserved tee-times, reduced fees, etc. But now everyone is on the same footing. Back to the original question though, as was pointed out, you can incentivise an under-represented sector, at least on gender.
And if it brings more women into the game, then I'm all for it.
By saying an underrepresented sector that is separating men and women.
Are we not just club members?