Cheap Top 100s

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok that’s the winter rate. Woburn is not heathland or links so condition will suffer in winter like any parkland course.
Having played it in Feb a couple of times, the condition wasn’t too bad. A couple of mats on tees and a few waterlogged places but better than most ;)

Having said that if only playing it once I’d go for late May with rhododendrons in full bloom.

Par345

Visit site
Played Cavendish, Buxton, on PlayMoreGolf for 6 points which works out at approximately £21 (paid £350 for 100 points) - absolutely delightful course in lovely condition!
They arent on it any more, they did their own version, and are now ditching that too next membership renewal which I think is a mistake. Its a great fun summer course with some cracking views and holes, you will need to be putting well.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seaton Carew during their Festival Week or their Seniors Salver was just £35 this year...... guess its gonna be £40 next. Still outstanding value though a bit dear on most NE rates.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played Hollinwell, Sherwood Forest, Princes, and The Hotchkin (twice) and total cost was only about a £100. I've been lucky to have some kind invitations though.

Par345

Visit site
Everyone loves a freebie
Ive played Hoylake and Wallasey on a courtesy when big external comps have been on at my old club.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like Woburn, but that's nuts. I can get on there for members' guest rate as part of a reciprocal arrangement. Every time you ring, you get quoted a different amount. Thus far I haven't bothered.
I found Alison in their bookings office very helpful.

Prices have gone silly, looked up some of the summer rates (midweek/single):

Sunningdale: 350
Royal St George’s: 330
St George’s Hill: 255
Woburn: 245
Woodhall: 150
Hunstanton: 150
Princes: 145
Grove: 209

The Grove and Princes look reasonable. Woodhall must be the best price to rating(58th world) ratio.

AussieKB

Visit site
Friend here in OZ wants to go and play in the UK, told him he could not afford it, cost over the years has gone mad, I was lucky enough to have lived and played there for 10 years and found the best way was to play in Opens.

Now I rely on friends for freebies or guest rate.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has any publication actually published a list of top 'cheaper' courses? That would be very interesting. And constantly changing every year as all clubs seem to add £20 to their green fee every 6 months. 😅

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to have a friendly PGA pro as a mate as they can get courtesies on many courses inc. the top ones. Then convince him to pay half your green fee so effectively you both get it for half normal rate. I’m working on it - hard part is convincing one that you’re worth having a hack with 🤪

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site