Cheap golf balls

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm a very high handicapper (although I haven't actually got a handicap) and I have bought golf balls from sports direct. They are as cheap as chips (£17 for 48) and are 'Dunlop Tour Soft Extreme Distance'. The price seems ridiculous, as lake balls cost more than this where I play. Is there any reason to avoid them, as it seems like a no brainier?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The standard Dunlop balls are not that bad - in fact I prefer them to some more expensive ones that I have tried.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a very high handicapper (although I haven't actually got a handicap) and I have bought golf balls from sports direct. They are as cheap as chips (£17 for 48) and are 'Dunlop Tour Soft Extreme Distance'. The price seems ridiculous, as lake balls cost more than this where I play. Is there any reason to avoid them, as it seems like a no brainier?

Mate of mine plays off 15 and plays this ball

Decent ball for the money

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I couldn't see any reason not to buy them, but good to have it confirmed by more experienced golfers. They don't travel very straight but I've found that with all the other balls I've bought as well. I think it might be my clubs.:D

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
It will be your clubs but it won't be their fault, it will be your fault for not controlling them properly.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just go for it, at the moment for me I'm finding myself not losing as many balls and have actually used the same ball for 4 or 5 rounds in a row without losing one, still don't notice a massive difference with my shots, maybe if a played Pro V1s or the new Taylormade TP5s. The other day I played a Nike ball, with 2001 Tiger Woods Masters Champion printed on it so it could of been 10 years old and I still won my tie and didn't notice a difference with Ball flight or anything.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would suggest the Srizon soft feel.

great ball us it myself in winter. cheap as chips and would do anyone from 28 handicap down to single figures no problem.

or train your dog to look for balls..... mine finds thousands so havn't had to buy a ball in years.

D

Deleted Member 1156

They don't travel very straight but I've found that with all the other balls I've bought as well. I think it might be my clubs.:D

No it's more likely to be your glove as that is the only contact point between you and the ball/club. Use the money you save on the cheap balls to pay for £25 Titleist tour gloves and use a new one for every round :thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I couldn't see any reason not to buy them, but good to have it confirmed by more experienced golfers. They don't travel very straight but I've found that with all the other balls I've bought as well. I think it might be my clubs.:D

Nothing wrong with the balls or your clubs it's probably your fingers you cannot keep straight.