Chartham Park golf club

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, does anyone have any knowledge of Chartham Park golf club, for eg how it plays through the winter? Club comps etc?
Thanks

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two friends are members there and I play it fairly often. It is currently closed as it gets waterlogged easily. Shame, because it’s a really good course ... although the fairways have suffered from leatherjacket infestation this year. I believe that it has the usual range of comps. Good bar and food ... large outside area to sit in the summer.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not a bad course at all, but as Canary Kid says, prone to getting a bit wet during the winter months.
I used to run a pretty big society and this was a venue that we played every year, always got one of the better turnouts for it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It is more modern and American in design, compared to most courses in the area. There are a couple of forgettable holes, but most are decent. The par 5 11th is superb and when I last played it (a couple of years ago, when nobody had heard of Covid), you would often get brilliant views of planes flying into/out of Gatwick there. I daresay it will be pretty quiet in that regard at the moment :cry:

As mentioned, they have some drainage issues. The 16th has a raised tee box, and last year the entire fairway below it became an huge extension of the nearby pond.

Other than that, it's a decent course. Just don't expect to get many decent games in the winter.

brfcfan

Visit site
Yes agree with everything said above. From the sound of your question it sounds like you are considering membership.

I have been a member of one of the other courses in their group for the past number of years and the management who run the group are clueless. It is owned by Epiris who are an investment company who are looking to make a quick buck, which is not the formula for a successful golf club because good golf course management is about long term investment which these sorts of companies do not want to do. Hence the lack of drainage works, too many societies, poor quality food, lack of staff, high turnover of staff etc etc

If you are gym member then it is decent value as they offer a gym as well as golf but if I was looking for a course to join knowing what i know now I would avoid any course run by The Club Company.