Charity Day Ideas

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at doing a charity day with a few of the lads from the office, in total there will be 30 of us.

The level varies from those that play every day to those who have had to borrow clubs from relatives just to take part.

Was thinking of longest drive, nearest the pin, 2's, lowest combined four ball score, lowest combined pair score and lowest singles score.

Any other ideas?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Shortest drive is a good pressure one, loser paying a tenner to the charity.

Doesn't have to be on the fairway but you'll need a way of measuring it.

D

Deleted member 21258

Nearest the pin in 2, on a short par 4 or long par 3

Nearest drive to a line

I have started doing longest drive with an old club, I put a bag with a selection of old wooden drivers and an old 2 iron on one of the tees for people to pick from. Last time it was won by a fairly short hitter who is above a hcap of 28, so a nice twist

Blind partner joint score

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Champagne Moment.
Everyone nominates a best moment of the day.( eg when Al's sliced shot knocked that policeman's hat off, or Bri got the hole in one, or Chas' trolley fell in the lake etc). Obviously subjective & needs someone to be the judge - but everyone in with a shout, & helps the day be played in the right spirit.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't do longest drive, nearest the pin in 2 on a short par 4 gives more players a chance, especially as you have some 'non-golfers' playing.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure of the course layout but at my club in the charity/fun style comps we do a 'Patio Challange' after the game. Basically we play from a mat on the patio across to our 17th, its about 150 yards, we either do closest to the pin and/or cash in the bucket if you miss the green.

On a nice evening it can get 'lively' if the patio is packed.

D

Deleted member 1147

A pal of mine has a straightest drive hole rather than longest drive. It gives everyone, except me:( , a chance of winning it.

If it's a fun day, and you're going to have some non-golfers involved, a boobie prize/wooden spoon isn't uncommon for last place (a bottle of something nice usually).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don't do longest drive, nearest the pin in 2 on a short par 4 gives more players a chance, especially as you have some 'non-golfers' playing.

This all day long re nearest pin in two, however if you do have a longest drive, do it on a hole that can catch people out, I have it on a hole where the longest hitters can put it in a ditch, over the ditch is a pond. however if you can hit with draw you can get it further. It is our fourth hole so at that point players are thinking is going for the longest drive worth the risk. Some go with 3 woods. More people have a chance on that hole.
Year before last a guy put his in the trees, hit a provisional and was 20 yds in front of the winner.
I do a team comp Stableford, best two from four on every hole except the 18th everyone scores, with an individual comp running alongside. Always works well. 👍

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
If the idea is mostly to make money for the charity, you could add the option to buy a mulligan for 2 quid. With the option of the other players in the group to prevent that if they pay 3. Or, if you have good and ambitious junior talents which you can recruite, they can sell drives at a hole. We do that at one of our charity events and it is rare that someone turns that offer down (because it is nice to get a 250 yard drive for once).

And I agree with what others have said about the longest drive. Make it "nearest the line" instead. (I don't think nearest the pin on a short par 4 is a good substitute for non-golfers ... the chances that they hit two good shots in a row and actually reach the green in reg, even on a short hole, are next to nil).

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If the idea is mostly to make money for the charity, you could add the option to buy a mulligan for 2 quid. With the option of the other players in the group to prevent that if they pay 3. Or, if you have good and ambitious junior talents which you can recruite, they can sell drives at a hole. We do that at one of our charity events and it is rare that someone turns that offer down (because it is nice to get a 250 yard drive for once).

As the aim of the day is money for charity, I love the mulligan and 'buy a drive' ideas. Could even extend it to 'buy a shot', for example my dad would happily put £2 in a charity pot for me to get him out of a bunker!