Changing putter grip - advice

evemccc

Visit site
I am looking to move on my old putter - but I really love its grip - and thought about fitting it to my current/new putter

It might be a stupid Q…

Would it be better to buy the same grip as my old putter, and fit it to the new putter, then sell on the old putter intact OR take off the old grip and then buy a replacement for the old putter and then sell it on?

I would get my Pro to do this…but my Q is that once a grip is removed from the putter, is it useless / damaged in the process?
(I have no real idea as to how grips are changed and removed ?)

In addition, would I have to worry about Swing Weight, or it affecting things adversely? If so, is there any way of working out this in advance?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I am looking to move on my old putter - but I really love its grip - and thought about fitting it to my current/new putter

It might be a stupid Q…

Would it be better to buy the same grip as my old putter, and fit it to the new putter, then sell on the old putter intact OR take off the old grip and then buy a replacement for the old putter and then sell it on?

I would get my Pro to do this…but my Q is that once a grip is removed from the putter, is it useless / damaged in the process?
(I have no real idea as to how grips are changed and removed ?)

In addition, would I have to worry about Swing Weight, or it affecting things adversely? If so, is there any way of working out this in advance?
Does your pro charge for grip replacement or offer it free if you buy the grip from them?
That cost needs to be factored into the equation too.
Also, don't forget you may love the grip on your new putter more!

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site

I would suggest buying the same grip and getting that fit to your new putter as it all depends how easy the old one comes off and there is much less time in the one regrip.

RichA

Visit site
I've done it a few times. It's really not worth the aggravation.
You'll probably damage it and need to buy 2 new grips or there'll be so much debris left in it from the old grip tape that it'll be lumpy.

evemccc

Visit site
What grip is it ?
It should be possible to remove a grip and reuse it,some are easier then others.
It’s a Ping putter grip

The putter was an eBay purchase a few years ago so I’m not actually sure the correct size BUT I believe it is a PING PP58 midsize (though it feels pencil thin) - really love how it looks and feels.

I don’t dislike my current/new putter grip, but I prefer the Ping grip, and want to give myself my perfect putter ?

evemccc

Visit site
I've done it a few times. It's really not worth the aggravation.
You'll probably damage it and need to buy 2 new grips or there'll be so much debris left in it from the old grip tape that it'll be lumpy.

Do you mean ‘not worth the aggravation’ to remove grips yourself Vs. getting a pro to do it?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a Ping putter grip

The putter was an eBay purchase a few years ago so I’m not actually sure the correct size BUT I believe it is a PING PP58 midsize (though it feels pencil thin) - really love how it looks and feels.

I don’t dislike my current/new putter grip, but I prefer the Ping grip, and want to give myself my perfect putter ?

They're easy to get off, but they're readily.available so ask your pro to get one and he should fit it for free

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Do you mean ‘not worth the aggravation’ to remove grips yourself Vs. getting a pro to do it?
I meant not worth the aggro of removing and refitting generally, but that was before I saw the price of a new one - £33. I paid the same retailer £15 for a PP58 2 years ago.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I had the new Scotty pistol grip removed at point of purchase and has never been used, this is handy to know as I use a flatso so may just move it on. ?
I love the pistol grip on my Scotty. Knowing you've not actually used yours and jinxed it makes it more valuable! ?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a Ping putter grip

Ping PP58 midsize is my preferred grip but they’re often hard to source. The ping 2021 putter range comes with them as standard but I snagged one off eBay this week. Some places selling them for £40!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy for a pro to remove. I had my Scotty grip removed & sold it for £45.50
I bought a Scotty about 4 years ago and the first thing I did was cut the grip off and chucked it in the bin?. Whom pays that for a grip, madness. There seems to be some obsession by manufacturers to fit thicker grips as standard now. Awful things, it’s like holding a cricket bat.