Changes to allowable local rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been perusing the new Committee Procedures Book and have already noticed some significant changes and deletions
Stones in bunkers -gone (obvious deletion)
Obstructions within two club lengths of a green (eg sprinkler heads ) gone
Protection Fence- no longer any reference to where they are sited
Over head cables relief (I might be wrong about the previous rule) now includes the supports.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been perusing the new Committee Procedures Book and have already noticed some significant changes and deletions
Stones in bunkers -gone (obvious deletion)

12.2a/1 Improvement Resulting from Removing Loose Impediment or Movable Obstruction from a Bunker
When removing a loose impediment or a movable obstruction from a bunker, sand is often moved as a result of removing the object, and there is no penalty if this improves conditions affecting the stroke if the actions taken to remove the loose impediment or movable obstruction were reasonable (Rule 8.1b(2)).
For example, a player removes a pine cone near his or her ball and improves the conditions affecting the stroke by dragging the pine cone away in a way that also removes a mound of sand from the area of his or her intended swing.
The player could have used a less intrusive way to remove the pine cone (such as lifting the pine cone straight up without dragging it behind the ball). Because his or her actions are not reasonable in this situation, the player gets a penalty for a breach of Rule 8.1a (Improving the Conditions Affecting the Stroke).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The LR I was referring to is the current one that allows stones in bunkers to be declared as movable obstructions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but stones are now loose impediments and not movable obstructions, and a committee will no longer be able to declare them as such under an allowable local rule, which was the point of the OP

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What happens when removing a stone or pine cone your ball moves, is it play it still where it comes to rest following that movement or do you replace it where it was with/without penalty?

The reason I ask this, is, if my ball is resting against something I can remove but I’d be penalised if the ball moved, I may as well take the S&D and drop outside of the bunker as a better alternative.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Move a movable obstruction and the ball moves.....
Move a loose impediment and the ball moves...

Therein lies the difference between the old and the new

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happens when removing a stone or pine cone your ball moves, is it play it still where it comes to rest following that movement or do you replace it where it was with/without penalty?

The reason I ask this, is, if my ball is resting against something I can remove but I’d be penalised if the ball moved, I may as well take the S&D and drop outside of the bunker as a better alternative.

See the new interpretation 12.2a/1 in post #2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rule fan

I am not saying that the stones cannot be removed what I am saying is that if a club currently has the Local Rule
Stones in Bunkers are movable Obstructions

Then they must delete that LR from their cards/books wef 1-1-19.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please forget everything I said in the original post and later. It appears that the R&A have made things a bit less clear by having another section

8F as well as 8E

Which also deals with allowable local rules

and in my rush to get things done before the next committee meeting jumped in too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.