Changes post club fitting

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Listen to the man Gareth. Darth put a Ping grip on the Scotty he sold me. Without doubt the best grip i've used on a putter. I wouldn't use anything else now....

I knew what he meant :D

It was a very poor attempt at humor on my part.

Like I said, I'll see what the pro at the rabge suggests. If he says the grips size is fine for how I hiold the club, fine. If no I'll listen to what he recommends. Whether it involves a new grip or blowing the current grip off and adding a few wraps of tape.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putter grips are very personal. Look at Tiger using an old style Ping grip on his putters whether they are Scotty or Nike.

The standard Scotty grip is quite thin and firm in my view. That gives good feedback but is not to everyones's liking.

However I have a variety of grips on other putters including the softer Winn type which I also like.

The thing to do is just try different ones. Changing the grip is also a great way to give a putter a new lease of life.

I also wouldn't worry about whether it changes the balance. Difference will be marginal imho. If it does and you don't like it just change back. If you prefer the new feel then youve got a result.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Putter grips are very personal. Look at Tiger using an old style Ping grip on his putters whether they are Scotty or Nike.

The standard Scotty grip is quite thin and firm in my view. That gives good feedback but is not to everyones's liking.

However I have a variety of grips on other putters including the softer Winn type which I also like.

The thing to do is just try different ones. Changing the grip is also a great way to give a putter a new lease of life.

I also wouldn't worry about whether it changes the balance. Difference will be marginal imho. If it does and you don't like it just change back. If you prefer the new feel then youve got a result.

Pretty much what I'm considering Mashie.

The Scotty Pistolero grip, you're right, is quite firm, but I don'r mind that. What bothers me is since changing how I grip the club the grip no longr "feels" substantial enough in my hands.

As I said, I'll speak to the pro at lunch and report back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I took a while to build up the courage to change the greasy worn grip that felt too thin on my favourite putter as I feared the change would make my putting suffer.

Quite the opposite, the change - to a Golf Pride midi - actually improved mine.

I'd say go for it - and that your doubt could well be costing you!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Right went down in my lunch hour. The place was stupid busy.

There are 3 pro's there. 1 giving a lesson, another doing a C/F and the other manning the shop (Packed out) with a pretty good sale on actually.

Went out to the putting green and putted really well. Pace, line, everthing was pretty much spot on ad what I didn't hole on missed by a ball width or two and went about 18" past so all in all happy.

I'm going to stick with what I have, club grip wise, for the forseeable as it's plainly working. When it stops, I may reconsider.

Thank you all for your thoughts on the thread. As always it's very much appreciated :thup: