Changes post club fitting

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Evening all.

Quick question on changes I've made after a fitting.

As some of you know I got fitted for a Scotty at the start of last year. At the time my grip was like this:

ED63F536-F1C4-4F36-BDF1-C185DD89BC2B-334-000000192EC959D4.jpg

As you can see the grip is very much in the fingers so the fitter saw no problem keeping the standard Scotty grip. The problem I had was I had a tendency to "flick" at the ball. Bobs V-Easy helped massively, but I also found a small change to my grip also helped.

I know hold the club like this:

1DE06B77-D3BB-4BA8-8EE6-2A8063D0533F-334-0000001927951B0B.jpg

Basically moved my hands closer together and overlap (similar to Vardon) with the little finger of my right hand over the index and middle finger of my left hand. The club is now more in the hands than the fingers.

The combination of the two has stopped my flick at the ball and improved my putting, however the standard grip i was fitted for now feels too small in my hands.

My question. With my grip how it is now (more in the hand as opposed to fingers), would adding a larger grip help with the feeling of a better fit in my hands?

If it helps, I have 4 wraps of tape under my iron grips.

I'm going to see a professional at the range I've joined tomorrow as i got fitted about 60 miles away so seeing the chap who fitted me isn't feasible. I'd just like to gauge opinion on here as we'll :D

As always any opinions appreciated :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Spooky, also changed to that grip recently, many tour pro's adopt a 'snugger' fitting of the hands but at the end of the day Gareth its whats comfortable to you.

With regards grips, have a feel of the grip that comes with the Nome putter, probably the best grip I've felt, bigger than average but not to big, soft and a tacky feeling without the stickiness if that makes sense.

The larger grip helped me as the fingers fitted neater and more comfortably over each hand.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Adding a thicker grip could alter the weight balance of the putter.

For every inch of shaft there is 10g difference in the head weights in a Scotty.

Has your putting gotten bad? Or why would you need to change the grip other than cosmetic reasons?

T

thecraw

Just concentrate on your stroke and stop filling your heid full of budgie seed!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Adding a thicker grip could alter the weight balance of the putter.

For every inch of shaft there is 10g difference in the head weights in a Scotty.

Has your putting gotten bad? Or why would you need to change the grip other than cosmetic reasons?

Putting is fine Phil. Well as it can be on soggy greens :mad:

The change is far from cosmetic looking at some of the larger grips on the market.

With my previous grip (hands) the grip felt snug and secure. I just had the problem of flicking. That was costing me shots for sure. Using a V-Easy and combining that with my new grip has solved the flicking issue. The only downside is the putter no longer feels comfortable in the hands. As I say, it feels too small.

It's not a case of bedding the grip in as I've been using it since around September last year. As I say my putting like anybody's could be better but it's far from the worst part of my game.

Is grip comfort a factor when putting? I would have thought so, but then again, that's why I posted :mad:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If its not broken dont fix it. :)

What is your avg putts per round?

It's not a case of fixing something that isn't broken Phil. It's more a question as above. If comfort is a factor then this needs addressing. Getting the correct size club grip, without changing how I grip the club can, surely, only help?

As far as average putts. My PPR average in comps last season was 31.7, saying that we didn't have many due to the weather lowest no comp round was 27 putts.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I was joking bud.

What would you say is the weaker point in your putting?
Misreading a break, distance control, long or short putts?

What do you feel changing your grip will do to benefit you, apart from feeling comfy?

Or do you 2 putt more due to not getting approaches close or get them close and 2 putt when you should 1 putt more often.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
What do you feel changing your grip will do to benefit you, apart from feeling comfy?

Confidence. In my mind plays a massive part, that's why I got fitted for my putter in the first place.

As it stands my grip pressure feels wrong IE too tight. As a result and as Craw rightly says, I'm thinking more about this than my stroke.

Ill be guided by what the pro says tomorrow. They are a Srixon centre of excellence so have confidence in what they will say to be correct. If he says my current grip and the club position in my hands is fine then ill be happy with that, perhaps that's just how it should feel. If he recommends a different putter grip that's also fine.

So long as its not a mahoosive Fatso or 2-Thumb :mad:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Confidence. In my mind plays a massive part, that's why I got fitted for my putter in the first place.

As it stands my grip pressure feels wrong IE too tight. As a result and as Craw rightly says, I'm thinking more about this than my stroke.

Ill be guided by what the pro says tomorrow. They are a Srixon centre of excellence so have confidence in what they will say to be correct. If he says my current grip and the club position in my hands is fine then ill be happy with that, perhaps that's just how it should feel. If he recommends a different putter grip that's also fine.

So long as its not a mahoosive Fatso or 2-Thumb :mad:

I hear ya. They are horrible. Don't know how people putt with them, especially the 2 thumb.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hear ya. They are horrible. Don't know how people putt with them, especially the 2 thumb.

If they work for them, fine by me.

I just can't see myself going from being fitted from a standard grip to either of them just through moving my hands closer together.

We will se tomorrow.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It doesn't matter how you grip the putter, there's no right or wrong way. There's also no correct method which is why there's 40,000 different putter styles on the market of varying lengths, 3,000 putting aids, 4,000 different grip shape/sizes.

(I made up those figures) :D

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they work for them, fine by me.

I just can't see myself going from being fitted from a standard grip to either of them just through moving my hands closer together.

We will se tomorrow.

my yes putter i had, had a normal grip but i messed my head up. and thought i need a thicker grip. so put on the a yes possibly midsize grip. BIG BIG mistake felt so wrong. even though bigslice is used to bigger things it just didnt feel right to grip.
then i moved course and onto much much much better greens so ditched it and got a scotty. i feel confient at putting and will never change putter (unless i move to different greens) which is never