Change of grip.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a couple of lessons last couple of weeks and my grip has been tweaked.
It’s fine with driver, 3 wood and wedges but just doesn’t feel right with irons.
I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem?
I’m thinking of changing my grips on my irons, to something more comfortable (thinner).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a couple of lessons last couple of weeks and my grip has been tweaked.
It’s fine with driver, 3 wood and wedges but just doesn’t feel right with irons.
I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem?
I’m thinking of changing my grips on my irons, to something more comfortable (thinner).

what was Marty's thinking in changing your grip Brian?

personally i would ask him what he thinks, no point in doing something that might be counter productive

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always had a neutral grip. I use a spare club with a grip training grip to keep it in check

I would expect a new positioning of the hands on the grip always takes a while to bed in and would not rush to change grips on the clubs until you are sure they are too thick or thin for you. Too thick can lead to pushes and too thin pull hooks.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
what was Marty's thinking in changing your grip Brian?

personally i would ask him what he thinks, no point in doing something that might be counter productive

Basically to get more consistency to improve, it definitely feels better when I hit it well, just all seems a real struggle.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I have always had a neutral grip. I use a spare club with a grip training grip to keep it in check

I would expect a new positioning of the hands on the grip always takes a while to bed in and would not rush to change grips on the clubs until you are sure they are too thick or thin for you. Too thick can lead to pushes and too thin pull hooks.

I hear you Jim, I’ve got a training grip, but even that feels too big.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll check this out!!
Meant to add (had to rush the cooker timer was going).

You might find a difference in wedge shafts and the irons if you use speciality wedges like Vokey. Most of the big names use a .58 butt taper shaft such a Dynamic Gold