Celtic Manor

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I returned last night from two days at Celtic Manor and wanted to share my experience with you lovely people :)

My Dad and I went to Wales on the thursday evening and stayed just outside celtic manor in the Old Barn Inn. We decided to travel up the night before our first round.

The Old Barn Inn was amazing. The rooms, the staff, the breakfast were all top draw and the place is so close to celtic manor it's a perfect place to stay for only £79 for two people inc breakfast.

Friday morning we headed over the Celtic Manor and made our way to the lodge. My word was this building impressive inside. Driving alongside the roman road course towards the lodge I was feeling pretty excited. I will be honest, I imagined the Roman Road course to be a bit more 'WOW' than it was. We floated about for a while then played roman road and were paired up with a young couple (yes she was a beauty!) The course itself was no particularly challenging however the rough was really really wet that everything plugged and it was slightly tricky to make a good contact. The fairway also were taking the ball so everything from the tee was carry. I shot 98 with a really bad last 4 holes (fatigued I'll say :))

We made our way over to the Celtic Manor Hotel and my word was it big inside. The place was so smart I felt a little out of place but soon got into the spirit of things by making my way down for a swim. Although a little small, the pool and facilities were nicely finished. Dinner was eaten in the olive tree and although I'm not a fan of buffet dinners, this was by far the best i've eaten. And the waitresses were stunning!!

After a good night sleep and a good mornings breakfast we headed to the Twenty Ten course. After the gates had opened we drove down a steep road overlooking the first few holes. Simply Breath-taking! It was very misty on friday and also saturday morning but the twentyten being lower down was below all the mist. So so Beautiful. The concierge took our clubs and showed us to our own lockers. I was next to Padraig which was nice! We then made our way out front for a lift down to the first tee. The drive down quick and by the time we made the first tee I was filled with excitement. After a bit of practice in the bunker we walked to the first tee to have our picture taken. Then I took the honours for our four ball and...... PING straight down the middle with my 3 iron!

I started with double bogey after a 3 putt, then double after finding the bunker, then made par on the par 3 third.I was feeling less nervous and started to enjoy the scenary even more. The 4th was a real test with me being an all iron player but after finding the water I had a nice up and down for 6 then walked to the 5th tee. Sooooooo much water to the right I couldn't help but shoot way left from the tee. As much as I was aiming for the heart of the fairway my subconcious was steering me away from my desired line. This become the 'norm' for so many of my approach shots. with almost every green elevated and surrounded by bunkers or water, I was aiming for the heart of every green and normally hit my 7 iron downwards straight as you like but I keep hitting them left or right. I had a few nice approach shots but not like my usual self.

The 14th hole was the next landmark hole for me! Simply gorgeous to look out from on the tee. The water to the right is not as daunting as some of the other 'ponds' but the second strectch of water with rock face beside the green is real intimidating. I played my second right of the second pond so wasn't faced with the carry but the two chaps we we're paired with (8handicap) both went over the pond. The first chap went in the plonk, the second chap went miles past the green. It was certainly not an easy entry.

The long walk took us to the 16th which again was something else to look out on. They had a go at hitting the green in one but with no luck. I found myself in the rough off the tee so had to lay up to approach the green. I played it long hoping to come back down from the back but the ball plugged and I fortunatley made it up and down for bogey. I parred the 17th par 3 and finally the sun had appeared. We walked to the 18th tee where we all hit nice tee shots. Looking at the clubhouse in the distance and looking down on the first few holes was delicious.

This is bar far the best course I have played on! Its so challenging when approaching every green, the holes from 150 yards out seemed to play longer than usual but I assume this was the elevated greens.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time away and with such friendly staff and fellow players the whole thing was just amazing. I cannot wait to go back.

It has certainly made me appreciate the challenges pro's face and this course was relentess with its hazards and protection of the greens.

For the £180 PP it cost (plus a good amount of spend while there) I would suggest that any golf fan go to celtic manor as the twentyten alone was worth every penny. I was slighlty dissapointed with the roman road but I still enoyed the round. For anyone who wants to know I shot 104 on the twentyten. I could have played better (but we all say that). I will be back there soon and have no doubt I can smash through 100 next time.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought I'd kept it short!

Mate you seriously cannot understand how good it unless you've been there. It's beautiful! I'm definately going back after Aus.