Carnoustie?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played it twice. The front 9 isn't too hard but the last 5 or 6 holes are extremely difficult for the pros especially if it's windy.

16. A par 3 that can be 250 yards if the pin is up the back to a narrow green that the ball easily runs off.

17. Crazy hole with water crossing it back and forth. Green is hidden pretty much behind a hill too. This will be a very long second shot into the wind or if they hit their ball left or right to avoid water.

18. Similar to 17 with the addition of an OOB close to the left side of the green.

You can download the open film on sky sports catch up if you have it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played it twice. The front 9 isn't too hard but the last 5 or 6 holes are extremely difficult for the pros especially if it's windy.

16. A par 3 that can be 250 yards if the pin is up the back to a narrow green that the ball easily runs off.

17. Crazy hole with water crossing it back and forth. Green is hidden pretty much behind a hill too. This will be a very long second shot into the wind or if they hit their ball left or right to avoid water.

18. Similar to 17 with the addition of an OOB close to the left side of the green.

You can download the open film on sky sports catch up if you have it.

Rick Shiels has done a video of this hole, playing it 4 times on 4 different days with different pins etc. Worth a watch to see how tough it is for him, let alone us Sunday hackers!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The back 9 really tests your golfing abilities. Every hole you will find yourself fighting against OOBs, burns, thick rough and deep bunkers. Doesn't take much to find yourself running a big score up. Only played it once and there was not a lot of wind, enough to play it's part, but nothing crazy. But I can imagine that course becomes a monster when that wind starts blowing across it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
First time I played it I was 2 under at the turn....then it went very pear shaped. It's long, can be very long and holes by the oob can really hurt you. The back half is brutal possibly only 3 holes that aren't that tough but the closing 3 are the toughest closing holes I've probably ever played.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many years since I played it but got beaten up properly the 2 times I did. Played better than the prev day at St Andrews and was 15 shots worse the first time (yes the conditions were very different)

For me it was a stunningly brutal test of your game, every mistake you got penalised for but good shots were still rewarded. Long, felt narrower than it probably was and some excellent bunkering. Excellent greens too

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it's the obvious line in golf, but you got to keep it on the short stuff. If I played it again I would just hit lots of irons off the tees. Prefer to tackle a long shot into the green knowing I have more chance of still making par from the green side bunker than the fairway bunkers or rough.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Undoubtedly a brutal test of every aspect of the game

What did those who've played it think of it - always looks a bit of an ugly duckling compared to many of the other Open rota courses

For example I'm desperate to play St.A, Birkdale, Turnberry but never really had the urge to either spectate or play at Carnoustie

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was a guy on here a couple months ago from the states going to play a load of links courses in the area but was going to miss out Carnoustie due to cost, myself and a couple others hopefully talked him in to it but no update since.

If it was calm most of the time I'd pick there over most courses I've ever played.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

What did those who've played it think of it - always looks a bit of an ugly duckling compared to many of the other Open rota courses

For example I'm desperate to play St.A, Birkdale, Turnberry but never really had the urge to either spectate or play at Carnoustie

Having a links ticket for 5 years I played St. Andrews hundreds of times, only went Carnoustie once though. But I definitely though it was a harder course even though I don't think it was as nice looking.

I found carnoustie one of best all round tests of golf I have played.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The OOB's look very intimidating, especially if it is windy.
Not a fan of courses with loads of OOB's.

Certainly not the most 'pretty' of our links Championship courses, not many views, seldom see the sea.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Played it a few times and always enjoyed it. a fair test and even if you are wild you can generally still find the ball unless its in the gorse. a real keep it in play course. I have managed to shoot low scores a couple of times and one of those was right off the back tee. There are a few holes before the turn that are quite unlinks like. 16,17 and 18 are the key though. last time i took driver off 16 and was still way short, 17 was a drive over the burn and a flick with a wedge and 18 was driver, 3 wood, hybrid to just short

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played it twice, love it. Quite straightforward early on, and it’s possible to get up on the card before the difficult closing holes. I found 17 nigh on impossible but had no bother with the others.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm playing it in August - can't wait! Hoping to get my game in better shape by then, I've only hit a ball once in the last 6 weeks (work and hols and work). I'm guessing that won't do ;)