Car selling scam

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Put my wife's car up on Autotrader and got an interesting email from an 'interested' buyer.

To put it simply the first email said that this lad was happy to pay full price, really liked the car and was happy to commit to buying it as long as I wasn't fibbing when I said the car is in excellent condition and working order.
He said he will pay for the car and allow money to clear before coming to collect.

After the first email I was optimistic despite the unusual method but I assumed he will look over the car on collection and drive away.

The next email had a request to pay for the car through paypal. Now for me I thought that was a bit unusual as you can send money from bank account to bank account and not have to go through paypal. So I requested he put the money intoy barclays bank account. I then only gave him my sort code and account number. (this means he can only put money in and not take money out due to not having the full card details).
He also said how once the money clears he will send an agent around to collect the car.

Next email said hethen said how he was away at sea as he's a marine biologist and doesn't have access to his bank account but does have access to his paypal account and emails. It was going to be a surprise for his dad. Etc etc

From this point the way he conducted himself was suspect and I refused to go through paypal.

I contacted my bank to make sure my account is fine and it was and funnily enough since I've refused to use paypal he hasn't contacted me again.

Just be aware everyone that as genuine as people may appear initially and despite your 'goodwill' to believe someone, there are some scum out there that are just out to make money out of you and screw you over. Look after yourselves!!

For anyone interested... Mini cooper, 05 plate, lots of extras etc etc :D :D :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am sorry, I cannot see what is fishy about it? I like Paypal and have used it securely for many transactions.

The only real risk with this is the amount taken over it due to some restrictions etc.

I do see your point, it is much better to use your bank transfer for things like that.

What happened to his behaviour that made you suspect foul play?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that if he pays through paypal and classes it as a gift, then the money can be snatched back after the car has been driven away. You would have to class the payment as goods or services. I think.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
I read about this SCAM some time back, can't remember the details but essentialy after the car has gone you'll find that the money you thought had been cleared has winged its way back to the buyer. Something to do with money being cleared in theory when in reality there is a time lag, so the bank will tell you payment is cleared and you let the car go. a few days later when the mechanics of the banking system finally kick in the customer has changed his mind and the transfer is stopped leaving you without car or cash.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get used to it I'm afraid.

I've been advertising mine and I get 10 times as many of these as real enquiries.

As already said, PayPal payments can be reversed.
The first one I got I said I would only release the car once the money had appeared in my bank account after transferring it out of PayPal.
Funnily enough I never heard back after that.

I've just ignored them ever since.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As already said, PayPal payments can be reversed.

Learn something new every day! Probably should have been aware of this but buyers always been happy to wait till I have it in my bank account...

Ta for the tip!

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting comments fellas cheers.

Funnily enough I've just received another email that comes across as dodgy.

I've now gone from pleasantries to the direct approach with not even a name on the end of the email.

Gary did you ever receive any calls that were dodgy too??

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments fellas cheers.

Funnily enough I've just received another email that comes across as dodgy.

I've now gone from pleasantries to the direct approach with not even a name on the end of the email.

Gary did you ever receive any calls that were dodgy too??

Never any by phone, no.

You can spot the dodgy emails easily enough. Always only 1 line, normally something like "What is your final price?" and in plain text. They will never want to see the car either.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I’ve used autotrader about ten times now and I don’t do any deals by e-mail and reluctantly over the phone. Why would anyone in their right mind negotiate a price for something they’ve never seen. I just say, come and see the car and we can talk. If they’re really interested, they will come.

Oh, I only deal with cash…if they can’t get it, no sale.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got this from a Jamer Freman who wanted to buy my Powakaddy trolley. I clocked i was a scam as soon I he described it as a CART:

Thanks for the prompt response..I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my generous uncle and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the Cart to be a surprise for my uncle so i wont let him know anything about the Cart until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the Cart ,I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments ASAP for the Cart and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.co.uk and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the Cart up after i have made the payments...

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got this from a Jamer Freman who wanted to buy my Powakaddy trolley. I clocked i was a scam as soon I he described it as a CART:

Thanks for the prompt response..I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my generous uncle and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the Cart to be a surprise for my uncle so i wont let him know anything about the Cart until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the Cart ,I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments ASAP for the Cart and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.co.uk and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the Cart up after i have made the payments...

That email sound very very similar to the ones I've received. Almost identical in content in fact.

Robbing buggers!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's barely English though is it?

phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.

Can't see any relatively intelligent person falling for this. :)

Either way, how come Paypal are able to reverse a transaction? Surely that's the most stupid idea on the planet?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve used autotrader about ten times now and I don’t do any deals by e-mail and reluctantly over the phone. Why would anyone in their right mind negotiate a price for something they’ve never seen. I just say, come and see the car and we can talk. If they’re really interested, they will come.

Oh, I only deal with cash…if they can’t get it, no sale.

Agree with this. I've had a fair few dodgy enquiries over years when I've been selling cars, baby items, etc., but through experience they are very easy to spot. I only deal face to face and in preparation I tell them the conditions of sale (cash, cleared funds, both go to bank, etc.).