Car Insurance Claim

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you reported it to your insurer? It's almost certain DL will inform them and if you don't you may have trouble in the future.

Yes. Currently leaving the claim open on my insurers in case DL don't sort it out. Once the car is in the garage (hopefully Monday) I'll contact my insurer and advise DL are sorting it out direct.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The warranty your own insurance co preferred repairer will put on any works they carry out is not carried over if you use the offenders insurance co and any issues after will be for you to sort out.
It’s not the pearlescent white is it?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slightly OT I had my house insurance quote in today.
Fairly cheap even with a 10% increase.
I thought I would ring them up and ask them to explain the 10% increase.

Then I thought again, lockdown. folk working from home. bored kids, DIY projects, tree pruning, mend and make do, overworked and overheated cookers/microwaves/BBQs.

Aye 10%, happy with that.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The warranty your own insurance co preferred repairer will put on any works they carry out is not carried over if you use the offenders insurance co and any issues after will be for you to sort out.
It’s not the pearlescent white is it?

Direct Line state 5 years warranty and I think they'll provide that for this garage but will double check. Machine Grey. Estimator came out and said "expensive paint"!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slightly OT I had my house insurance quote in today.
Fairly cheap even with a 10% increase.
I thought I would ring them up and ask them to explain the 10% increase.

Then I thought again, lockdown. folk working from home. bored kids, DIY projects, tree pruning, mend and make do, overworked and overheated cookers/microwaves/BBQs.

Aye 10%, happy with that.

I never just accept a renewal quote without querying it. Always ask them if it is their best quote and normally you will get a discount, if not you can shop around.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I work for a large insurer and this is absolutely the norm - whoever controls the repair controls the costs. It is none fault for you, so you shouldn't have any excess to pay or no claims impact. My advice ordinarily is to just let your own insurer sort it - they should aim to make it as hassle free for you. But the very fact that insurers are now offering cash incentives (amongst other things) to control the repair is an indicator of the amount of practices being introduced. If you want the £200, take it - but speak to your insurer to let them know that is what is happening would be my advice.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is none fault for you, so you shouldn't have any excess to pay or no claims impact.

Interesting. When someone drove into the back of a hire car Mrs Mogs was driving, no fault on her side, not even her car, she was honest, and informed her insurer. She had full protected no claims, and obviously, her insurer had nothing to do with any claims, it was between the hire car and the guy who hit her.
6 months later her premium went up 30% because she had been involved in an accident.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting. When someone drove into the back of a hire car Mrs Mogs was driving, no fault on her side, not even her car, she was honest, and informed her insurer. She had full protected no claims, and obviously, her insurer had nothing to do with any claims, it was between the hire car and the guy who hit her.
6 months later her premium went up 30% because she had been involved in an accident.
Yes - involvement even without fault is an underwriting decision that potentially (but not always) impacts future premium. But no claims discount on that premium should have been unaffected, and nor should there have been excess to pay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

These days even your neighbours putting in claims on their own insurance can affect your premiums.

Insurance companies use specific postcodes to assess risk rather than locality. My daughter had a 10% increase when she moved back home from an address two streets away.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No claims discount and policy amount are too diff things

NCD is dangled in front of us protect at all cost .. but with an accident your overall policy will always rise .. the discount % will be the same but if your policy is more it goes up.

Massive con

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And that is my point. You have to declare it for the next 3 years, it does influence your premium, even if you change insurers, and you can't claim it back.

I run 3 cars. Someone can bend one of them while I am not even sat in it, and the premium on each one can go up 300 a year for 3 years. So I am 2700 out of pocket, while retaining 25 years ncd, and I just have to suck it up.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
My car was smashed into a few years back, reported it to insurer who passed my details onto an accident management company. 24 hours pass and I hear no news on a replacement hire car and no joy in when one would arrive. Also read these accident management companies charge an arm and leg.
contacted their insurer and a chap from enterprise picked me up within half hour and let me pick a car. Would go through the other party’s insurers again if needed.