Car insurance cancel fee or lapse

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Afternoon all

Just sold my car this morning, insurance due to end mid July. Annual premium was £200.19

Reading the conditions of my insurance provider, a cancellation fee of £45 will apply if I cancel the policy. So in theory I'm better off letting the policy lapse in July as I won't get refund of more than the cancellation fee.

Are there any issues in leaving a policy live without owning the car still?

Cheers all

Adam

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all

Just sold my car this morning, insurance due to end mid July. Annual premium was £200.19

Reading the conditions of my insurance provider, a cancellation fee of £45 will apply if I cancel the policy. So in theory I'm better off letting the policy lapse in July as I won't get refund of more than the cancellation fee.

Cheers all

Adam

You can't use NCD on 2 cars at once so if insuring another car you couldn't apply the NCD from this car to it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like one of the companies that also has a change of car or other admin fee.
I would just let it run as (if you have it ) you would still have third party cover on another car which insured by someone else.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all

Cheers all

Adam
Are you planning to insure another car soon? If you reinsure with them, they'll probably do a deal.

D

Deleted member 18121

Are you planning to insure another car soon? If you reinsure with them, they'll probably do a deal.

I've actually bought and been running a "new" car for a month now and my current companies quote was ridiculous so I went with another company.

I ended up phoning them about it to see what my options were.... No idea how she worked it considering such a short amount of time left on the policy, but she confirmed the £45 cancellation fee but somehow it ended that I only owed them £3.46 so they said not to bother and have just cancelled it.

Absolutely no clue how that's worked out in my favour .

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've actually bought and been running a "new" car for a month now and my current companies quote was ridiculous so I went with another company.

I ended up phoning them about it to see what my options were.... No idea how she worked it considering such a short amount of time left on the policy, but she confirmed the £45 cancellation fee but somehow it ended that I only owed them £3.46 so they said not to bother and have just cancelled it.

Absolutely no clue how that's worked out in my favour .
Had you been paying by direct debit or standing order?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be careful. If the new owner of the car doesn't have insurance, and the car is involved in an accident you could be liable as the car would be still insured, but your insurance.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be careful. If the new owner of the car doesn't have insurance, and the car is involved in an accident you could be liable as the car would be still insured, but your insurance.
The insurance will state which drivers are covered. For a £200 the policy will not cover any or unnamed drivers.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The insurance will state which drivers are covered. For a £200 the policy will not cover any or unnamed drivers.
Correct, but if the new driver hasn't insurance and is involved in an accident it could prove very awkward and potentially leave you liable.