Captains Day

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours today. Shockingly poor turn out. Groups of two, yes, TWO! Going out. I was in one of them. All done and dusted, in the main, by 10.30am. Car park a third full. No helpers at the halfway hut. Poor food on offer there. Poor food after. Used to be a big social evening thing. No presentation this evening, it will be done at the end of year thing. Sad eating food afterwards without our noisy lot and their banter. I felt really sorry for the captain's. And I get criticised on here for moaning about a stupid offer put out 40 days after renewals. I've offered to help although pointed out I've no skills and two blokes on the committee have been all over me like a rash today. I'm now going to a meeting on Monday evening. God knows what I can do to help. Thing are getting desperate if they even will consider me for the committee. Although one did insinuate they have no doers only moaners at the club. Well I'm a doer that moans. Could be interesting. Could be a sad eye opener.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a bluddy tough course to play. We always have a couple of junior county matches on each year, as it's a real test of golf. It's why I'm back there.

Albo

Visit site
Has anyone actually asked the golf populous why people aren’t turning out? I’d start there and actually listen, I’ve found historically a lot of the committee try to defend the club, course, decisions being made as soon as you say anything negative, rather than actually listening to what’s being said, taking it away and trying to do something about it.

Skytot

Visit site
Captain’s weekend is still very popular at my club . One thing that people are moaning about is that they keep moving the date . 2 years ago it was August BH weekend, last year in July , this year August BH again … It used to be set in stone it was always late July but now no one knows until the calendar comes out . People used to book their holidays around Captain weekend but it’s a bit difficult now

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Captain's Day last year at our place was a shotgun start at 8am. 110 people.
I know it was 110, because my hole in one cost me £470!! 🤦🏻‍♂️😳🤣🤣
Totally agree with Albo. Poll the members and find out why. Only then can you decide whether to attempt to fix it or not.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone actually asked the golf populous why people aren’t turning out? I’d start there and actually listen, I’ve found historically a lot of the committee try to defend the club, course, decisions being made as soon as you say anything negative, rather than actually listening to what’s being said, taking it away and trying to do something about it.
We often told our daughters that the good Lord gave us two ears and one mouth so that we could listen twice as much as we could talk.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the big changes from years ago where I play was that there was no entry fee and the Captain pad for all the prizes out of his own pocket - one stipulation if you were not at the presentation the prize went to the next in line.

Through the years Captain's Day has varied by quite a lot. Some good some not so good.

I'll always remember being barred from entry in one Captain's Day because I had not signed up by the day before. Played with a couple of entrants and would have won. There were a lot of spaces on the day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with Albo. Poll the members and find out why. Only then can you decide whether to attempt to fix it or not.
One of the niceties where I play is get a hole in one in a comp and the club pays for a couple of bottles to be placed on the bar.

I do not know whether or not they have it anymore , the club's insurance policy had cover for the drinks for any member scoring a hole in one.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is very generous but nuts.
At my club you put some nips on the bar and replace the bottle to the bar.

No way would I be paying half a years membership fee for one lucky shot..🤣

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
That is very generous but nuts.
At my club you put some nips on the bar and replace the bottle to the bar.

No way would I be paying half a years membership fee for one lucky shot..🤣
It wasn't even a good shot! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have two shotguns on Gent's Captain's Day, which are always full, presentation after each competition and charity raffle in the afternoon. Also a Gent's Captain's Thursday competition primarily aimed at 6 day members. No entry fee but it's 'hoped' that members will buy raffle tickets or contribute to the charity. Ladies have their own Day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
74 players. Two divisions. 😱

Membership is about 210 men. 😱

No big presentation or meal in the evening.

That's bad, isn't it?
My place doesn't have a meal after or a grand presentation. Not that I'm aware of. Play, have a drink after, go home. Captain will have a tent / small marquee after the ninth where he will give out drinks, maybe have a BBQ going, but that's all. Not everywhere has a grand affair.

Personally, I've never gone back in an evening after playing in the morning.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We have around 170 to 180 play plus around 50 in the ladies 9 holes comp

Course is rammed , club is full , BBQ on the go plus multiple other bits going on - raffles etc , people spread across the first fairway for the DJ , presentation for all the winners around 8 ish and then there is a party and band going on until early hours

The next day there is a Captains Lunch where he invites his friends etc to say thank you and next years Captain announces who will be his Vice Captain

It’s a great weekend , lots of golf , fun , families and the trophy was donated by the family of the most successful member we have had

It’s one of the biggest weekends for the club and raises a lot of money for the captains charity

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours today. Shockingly poor turn out. Groups of two, yes, TWO! Going out. I was in one of them. All done and dusted, in the main, by 10.30am. Car park a third full. No helpers at the halfway hut. Poor food on offer there. Poor food after. Used to be a big social evening thing. No presentation this evening, it will be done at the end of year thing. Sad eating food afterwards without our noisy lot and their banter. I felt really sorry for the captain's. And I get criticised on here for moaning about a stupid offer put out 40 days after renewals. I've offered to help although pointed out I've no skills and two blokes on the committee have been all over me like a rash today. I'm now going to a meeting on Monday evening. God knows what I can do to help. Thing are getting desperate if they even will consider me for the committee. Although one did insinuate they have no doers only moaners at the club. Well I'm a doer that moans. Could be interesting. Could be a sad eye opener.
Well done for volunteering. If you have opinions and ideas then they might be all the "skills" that they need.