Cannot get a handicap

adwt2004

Visit site
Hi guys

Anyone have the issue I have in getting a handicap? I'm a new member so know no one as yet. I was hoping to get a handicap so I could play comps and meet some members. Trouble is the club won't accept my score cards as they say they have to be signed by a member and I don't know any.

It's a really awkward situation for me as I'm in a catch 22.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi guys

Anyone have the issue I have in getting a handicap? I'm a new member so know no one as yet. I was hoping to get a handicap so I could play comps and meet some members. Trouble is the club won't accept my score cards as they say they have to be signed by a member and I don't know any.

Ask the committee if they can help you find someone or even if one of them can play with you and sign your cards. Also, there may be 'roll ups' where anyone can turn up at a set time for an informal game with others. If there is, find out when it is and get whoever you play with to sign your card

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi guys

Welcome along. Which club are you with? Do they not have roll up groups that you can join. Maybe ask the pro. Failing that you should be able to enter the competitions and get a card marked for handicap purposes at the same time

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
They need to be marked and signed by a member so they can verify you're not cheating. Talk to the club and ask them to arrange some games for you, there will be plenty of 3 balls happy to let you join in

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As others have said, normally the membership sec will have a list of a few willing people, the pro will be able to advise of good times to head up to the club to meet people to play and the committee will also help over and above these.
Many have new member sessions from time to time, and others permit people to play within comps to get their card signed if they have some competence.

adwt2004

Visit site
I'm at the kendlehire in Bristol. The booking system doesn't let you pair up unfortunately. And when I joined I was told I can join a roll up they run when I get a handicap. Competitions also require a handicap. I'm not cheating when I score and would probably be at 28 anyway which is fine as my range game is far better right now but courses are a different animal. My mate is at a different club and didn't have this hassle. Just a shame it's a bit of a distance.

C

c1973

Speak to the pro (assuming the club has one), he/she will be able to put you in touch with others that will not mind playing 18 and signing your card. There might even be a few others in the same boat that are looking for someone to have a round with.

You won't get if you don't ask. :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm at the kendlehire in Bristol. The booking system doesn't let you pair up unfortunately. And when I joined I was told I can join a roll up they run when I get a handicap. Competitions also require a handicap. I'm not cheating when I score and would probably be at 28 anyway which is fine as my range game is far better right now but courses are a different animal. My mate is at a different club and didn't have this hassle. Just a shame it's a bit of a distance.
I'm sure he roll up will let you play to get a handicap - but you won't be able to compete in it until you do. Sounds like a communication issue - if it isn't the club needs to resolve it!

adwt2004

Visit site
Yeah could well be comms issue. I will ask the relevant questions again to someone other than the director of golf there. No one enjoys playing on their own so any opportunity to meet friendly golfers is more than welcome.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there no one on the committee that assists new members? someone like that or the pro ought to get you sort, Its a poor do if they don't.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our newbies enter our normal comps, but do not pay the entry fee and are not allowed to win any prizes, but they mark a scorecard and its used for their handicap calculation.

Can't see why any club would not allow the same thing. Allows you to meet members, and possibly get an invite to a roll up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah could well be comms issue. I will ask the relevant questions again to someone other than the director of golf there. No one enjoys playing on their own so any opportunity to meet friendly golfers is more than welcome.
Interesting choice of words - do I take it Pat Murphy was happy to take your money but hasn't been constructive after that?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our newbies enter our normal comps, but do not pay the entry fee and are not allowed to win any prizes, but they mark a scorecard and its used for their handicap calculation.

Can't see why any club would not allow the same thing. Allows you to meet members, and possibly get an invite to a roll up.

That's not allowed at ours but then the Pro will always sort out new members with games with others.

adwt2004

Visit site
Interesting choice of words - do I take it Pat Murphy was happy to take your money but hasn't been constructive after that?

I wouldn't go that far. I just don't think he has the answers im seeking. If there is a roll up I can join then that's great. And I know one exists. I will have to ask again and hopefully get a good answer. I'm not originally from Bristol so guys I used to play with are quite a distance which is a shame.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Speak to the pro (assuming the club has one), he/she will be able to put you in touch with others that will not mind playing 18 and signing your card. There might even be a few others in the same boat that are looking for someone to have a round with.

You won't get if you don't ask. :)

This ask in pro shop and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction?

Does the club have a members notice board or section on the website which where you can get a game?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

This is pretty common too.

Card is simply marked 'For Handicap' near where the Handicap would normally be entered.

It could well be that you have mis-interpreted the statement 'You can enter competitions once you have a handicap' or maybe they didn't tell you that these could be used to establish your 3 cards that are required. Pro or DoG should be able to sort you out - but may need to be hassled a bit!! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world of Golf and the forum btw!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should be able to book a time and play for H/C purposes only, but not be in the actual comp.
You could just hang about the first tee and ask to join up with any 2 or 3 ball, to mark your card.

Don't be shy, relax and best of luck:thup:

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I got mine I just loitered at the course and latched onto a group. When in doubt just ask the pro and they will put you in the right direction, and maybe suggest a suitable marker. I'm sure you can enter a comp and just get My first round a 5-handicapper agreed to sign my card, and he was a bit keen and serious for my liking, and it put me off comps for a while.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does it have to be a member? A lot of clubs will let anyone with a recognised Congu handicap mark the card if you ask.